Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National: Severe Cold/ Snow Discussion (Thanks to all!)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Weathercheck we may be inline for a small stremer going by radar. Still going here. Settling on trees now. About 3cm's on roads not exposed to the earlier sun.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

hi,its so cold here when i went outside to refill bird bath with warm water & melt the water in it a robin went for a dip & is actually frozen in the bath!,its beak is moving but does anyone know how do I break the Ice without harming the bird?:confused:

Can you thaw the ice slowly?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,601 ✭✭✭Speak Now

hi,its so cold here when i went outside to refill bird bath with warm water & melt the water in it a robin went for a dip & is actually frozen in the bath!,its beak is moving but does anyone know how do I break the Ice without harming the bird?:confused:

More lukewarm water

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭chinchin

Thunder Snow in Swords right now!

Heaviest it's been now. Near whiteout conditions. Someone please get a pic of the estruary - it looks amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭kakee

hi,its so cold here when i went outside to refill bird bath with warm water & melt the water in it a robin went for a dip & is actually frozen in the bath!,its beak is moving but does anyone know how do I break the Ice without harming the bird

Use a hairdryer, or two if you have them

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Shower just drifting to my north, still light snow and sun here.

darkman2 wrote: »
    Heaviest it's been now. Near whiteout conditions. Someone please get a pic of the estruary - it looks amazing.

Nothing like that here, madness!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Is the IOM againhaving an affect on the snow coming towards Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Brenireland

kakee wrote: »
    Use a hairdryer, or two if you have them

thanks for the help lads,I dont actually have an extension lead to reach that far,but I wonder could I get a battery operated hairdryer somewhere?

also Im not sure the bird is thirsty so think I will give the lukewarm water a miss...:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

Is the IOM againhaving an affect on the snow coming towards Dublin?

:( think so,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Getting heavier in Dublin Airport now... not sticking so much. I'll pop down for a pic of the estuary.

Edit: It's actually rain/sleet. Not snow. Ba humbug.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

Ah well, you win some you lose some. It looks like whatever off shore breeze is or was coming down the river Liffey gobbled up whatever snow was heading my way. There is quite a good bit of heat coming from the sun right now for this time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

darkman2 wrote: »
    Will try get some later but i fear it will be too dark

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭uRbaN

Coming down quite thickly in Airside, Swords. Proper chunks!

Still going here moderate - heavy. Everything white - about 3cms. Big thick chunky flakes.

Really coming down now!

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Winger_PL

Lads there is no IOM shadow in place, the winds are just so weak that the streamers are barely moving and they dump everything on the ground once the hit the coast, they just are too slow to move further inland.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

:D

3hr-rain.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

moderate snow here now,not sticking

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

Winger_PL wrote: »
    Lads there is no IOM shadow in place, the winds are just so weak that the streamers are barely moving and they dump everything on the ground once the hit the coast, they just are too slow to move further inland.

:D thats made my day now!!!

must say its starting to get dark out now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭MGMTea

the clouds just break up when approaching Santry/Ballymun area :( so close, yet so far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Mr. Larson

Bit of radar action on http://www.raintoday.co.uk/ looks like something might work its way close to Wicklow Town - although if recent history has taught me anything it's that an invisible forcefield will divert or dissipate it at the last minute :p

As suspected - ^^ this ^^ dissipated about 5 miles off the coast and the bit that remained broke away and drifted past Wicklow head - keeping a consistent gap of a few miles between itself and terra firma.

It really does seem to consistently peter out as it reaches the coastline - must be some reason for that but I don't know why - can anyone explain it? Might have to give up on this radar watching business - it's fierce frustrating altogether. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭kakee

thanks for the help lads,I dont actually have an extension lead to reach that far,but I wonder could I get a battery operated hairdryer somewhere?

also Im not sure the bird is thirsty so think I will give the lukewarm water a miss...:o

Maybe fill a hot water bottle then. Just place it on the ice and let it melt away. It shouldn't take much to thaw it.

Think im the only small area in the country getting this heavy snow - revenge:D

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ffarrell7

exactly - just no wind. Unfortunately for us who live in the west of dublin. HEAVY snow now in Portmarnock although flakes are small.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭MGMTea

actually dont mind that last post from me, bucketing down now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Whoo-hoo starting in Glasnevin, finally!

Coming down abit heavier now but a bit late as ground had thawed abit so barely sticking.

Should do if gets heavier and sun goes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭tipperaryjim

Heavy and sticking here in Santry!

Yeeehaaa :D

• Advertisement

Coming down abit heavier now but a bit late as ground had thawed abit so barely sticking.

Should do if gets heavier and sun goes!

No such problems here! Bucketing again - 4cm's almost.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement