Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National: Severe Cold/ Snow Discussion (Thanks to all!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭dillo2k10

Stopped completely in Palmerstown

• Registered Users Posts: 15,409 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Eased off for a bit , now its back with a vengance in D4 snowmaggedon stuff, fantastic!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,605 ✭✭✭Speak Now

eigrod wrote: »
    In mid-November he called something special for 19-21 December. Can't expect more accurate than that to be honest.

I dont think MT will claim that somehow. I dont think he was giving a Dublin only forecast ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

This is hilarious, but you cant blame the Met.

Latest NAE has accumulated precip upto 30mm in parts of east coast in 30hrs.

This was at around 3mm this morning.

I expect the risk will be more focused in the southeast tomorrow but showers all up the coast.

But as we know it is a guessing game.

Snow here to last for the night:D;)

10122106_2012.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Outrageous heavy snow in city centre, even main roads now covering

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Impressive snow storm in/near Drogehda right now according to my cousin. That means precip has pushed somewhat north since this afternoon...reckon it'll keep creeping north or will it fizzle out?

[edit] What is it about a monday evening? Was same there forthnight ago, rush hour on the east coast and we got a pasting too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

nothing in leixlip, dublin hogging it all!

photo-1.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Was snowing for about 30 seconds in D24 before there was instant gridlock. <Sigh>

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭mumo3

yey snowing in clondalkin :P thought it would never happen.. its not much but its a start :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Originally Posted by John.Icy viewpost.gif
    Screw it, look at the latest radar, nothing is happening out to sea, showers are stagnent...

It's over till much much later.....

Maybe even till enxt year for the east.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dacogawa viewpost.gif
    We'll hold you to that!wink.gif

dacogawa wrote: »
    Where's John.Icy ? :D:D:D:D

I repeat where is John.Icy ?

• Advertisement

Wertz wrote: »
    Impressive snow storm in/near Drogehda right now according to my cousin. That means precip has pushed somewhat north since this afternoon...reckon it'll keep creeping north or will it fizzle out?
    It hasnt crept north, so much as it got bigger!
    East coast pounding!!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭ciaranm

CiaranC wrote: »
    Was snowing for about 30 seconds in D24 before there was instant gridlock. <Sigh>

:)

CiaranM here in D24 too

http://www.guinness-storehouse.com/WeatherCam.aspx
    check out the guinness cam

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

Texts from colleague in Merrion Square 5mins ago... traffic not moving at all

I left an hour ago right as it started. Just in time by the sound of things

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

That's it, Dublin is screwed.

most of these aren't even updated yet.

http://www.dublincity.ie/dublintraffic/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Realtine wrote: »
    falling steadily for the last hour or so in Ballyfermot.:mad:

I know. Back to kids scutting and windows getting pelted with snowballs.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Stopped altogether here. Was really very little out of the light snow we had. Dunno, maybe some of the stuff to the east will reach here or maybe it'll stall again at the coast :|

Supercell wrote: »
    East coast pounding!!
    Scratch that, just checked latest radar and sat images.
    This streamer seems to be dying in the Irish sea, maybe an hour or so left then nothing I would guess. Still, its been impressive!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭Pentecost

Belting down in Drumcondra still. Good few inches on the ground now by the looks of it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

This streamer seems to be dying in the Irish sea, maybe an hour or so left then nothing I would guess. Still, its been impressive!

Are you on East Link watch?

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭lucy2010

Bray Head must be robbing it all on me - nothing really apart from a bit of dandruff

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

East coast pounding!!

Well the heap of Cbs out to my east at sunset would suggest that there's an awful lot of precip yet to march in....but we have little or no wind here so hard to know if it's going to grow in this direction.
    Snow clouds look majorly impressive with near full moon rising behind them...

[edit] Jesus look at the N11 shots on trafficwatch cams :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭googsy

All Runways at Dub Air closed for 4 hours while they clean them up

http://www.liveatc.net/flisten.php?mount=eidw2

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Are you on East Link watch?

Yep, colder than when we had the last streamer here a couple of weeks back - the road is full of compacted snow but this time its not wet compacted snow so none of the pandemonium as last time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

googsy wrote: »
    All Runways at Dub Air closed for an hour while they clean them up

http://www.liveatc.net/flisten.php?mount=eidw2

Make that 4 hours according to ATC just now

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭steveLFC24

I was in the city centre doing some shopping on my day off, got home literally 2 mins before it started snowing...absolutly blessed by the sound of it :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

Lots more on the way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Been stopped here now for about 15 mins.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Its snowing in Dublin, i expect the six-one news will be blanket coverage with about 8 reporters live:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,605 ✭✭✭Speak Now

This was a great post from M.T yesterday morning
    Anyway, I hold out some hope for snow for just about all regions between now and Christmas, based on the concept I explained once before in another thread.

Suppose you have four or five days in a row with "slight chances" of something happening, in this case snow. Is it therefore true to say there is a slight chance of that happening any time in the four or five days?

No, and here's why, using the laws of probability.

I'll take as my example a theoretical 20% chance of snow from streamers any day now to Friday, that's six days, each with a 20% chance of snow. In fact the chances might be better than that, but I'll show that even with this rather grim negative-sounding assessment, you would probably get snow.

The probability chances of getting no snow in just three days, using that 20% figure, is this:

1.0 - (.8 x .8 x .8) =

1.0 - (.512) = .488

In other words, your chances of missing snow every day for three days in that sort of framework, would be 51.2% giving you a 48.8% chance to see snow. For six days, that reduces to a mere 26% chance of avoiding snow and a 74% chance of seeing snow.

In other words, a long-duration marginal setup usually delivers. Which day it delivers, makes for very difficult forecasting. But would look for the day with the strongest wind gradient from the best direction as your odds-makers' favourite. Personally, I think it will snow eventually just about everywhere in this set-up. But it will be dry most of the time too. The combination should suit everyone, the snow fancier, the merchant, the person who needs to travel -- let's hope everyone feels they got what they wanted for Christmas.

Certainly has come to pass for Dublin anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭googsy

Danbo! wrote: »
    Make that 4 hours according to ATC just now

Yeah just heard there...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement