Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National: Severe Cold/ Snow Discussion (Thanks to all!)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

irishdub14 wrote: »
    :eek: I've never seen the Port Tunnel so congested!

Site0Camera135.jpg

Imagine what it's like at the exit and toward airport interchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

NickDrake wrote: »
    A good 4 inches has fallen here.

Met Eireann have serious questions to answer.

A few showers were forecast. No warnings of significant accumulations.

They even has sun over Dublin untill about 4 pm when they changed the image on the website.

They are a shambles of an organisation.

But I suppose it is what we should expect from a State run entity. A load of over piad clowns

It was impossible to forecast the snow in Dublin today. Even an hour before it hit it was difficult to tell if it would hit land or stay out a sea. A very marginal situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

heavy organized shower going to hit soon from the dublin southside coast to about kilcoole...give it 15-20 minutes...

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

irishdub14 wrote: »
    :eek: I've never seen the Port Tunnel so congested!

Site0Camera135.jpg

I've just come through, now 2 hours since I left Dublin city centre :(

Needless to say the traffic is heavy enough to be on boards on my phone!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Might be something for D15 soon if current stuff further east stays on track and doesn't disintegrate...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭irishdub14

Wertz wrote: »
    Imagine what it's like at the exit and toward airport interchange.

Yep, airport junction doesnt look nice either!

Site0Camera110.jpg
    Site0Camera94.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭4Sheets

Rougies wrote: »
    It was impossible to forecast the snow in Dublin today. Even an hour before it hit it was difficult to tell if it would hit land or stay out a sea. A very marginal situation.

The Met did cover themselves saying scattered snow showers..and thats what we got?

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭JonnyM

are these showers heading further south or inland?
    thought we were not supposed to get these till tonite/tomorrow??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭stackerman

patneve2 wrote: »
    heavy organized shower going to hit soon from the dublin southside coast to about kilcoole...give it 15-20 minutes...

Looks that way alright. Just wish some would push in towards the Kildare/Wicklow/Dublin boarder :o

4Sheets wrote: »
    The Met did cover themselves saying scattered snow showers..and thats what we got?

I don't really pay attention to their forecasts tbh. Not becuase they are bad, but becuase they are vague. So yeah, probably.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

4Sheets wrote: »

I'm not sure they quite communicated the risk of heavy snow we got in parts of Dublin. But I wouldn't be too hard on them, it seems the last few days have been a nightmare to predict exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

LookingFor wrote: »
    Might be something for D15 soon if current stuff further east stays on track and doesn't disintegrate...

:D i woundt mind some

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Rabble Rabble

If the scattered showers hit in Wicklow nobody would bat an eye.

Anyway the closure of Dublin Airport is a total joke. People affected will probably not be able to re-book and will miss Christmas. All for 1-2 inches of snow, the kind of snow which falls in Eastern and Northern Europe, Russia, and much of the US every single winter day.

The snowfall has not been excessive. Open the damned airport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

...and all that N bound traffic heading into heavy falls all the way to Drogheda.
    Not looking like tht blob is going any more north than tullyesker hill/monasterboice. Saty safe if you're on the m1

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭cdsb46

Thought it was easing off in ashbourne, but look out the window now and it's coming down just as heavy, thank god i made it home from blanch just in time phew:D

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭laurence997

Met have forecast snow on the west coast tomorrow. Nice. :D
    Doubt it'll come though :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

They even has sun over Dublin untill about 4 pm when they changed the image on the website.

But I suppose it is what we should expect from a State run entity. A load of over piad clowns

Come on, get real.

They have been saying every time that snow is possible, very difficult to quantify and very changeable.

Boards has been saying how the models are not working due to the unusual nature of the weather.

If you want certainties try death and taxes.

As regards snow and airports around the world, check out what happened in the US over the last two weeks and is happening in Europe right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Snowing nicely in Malahide now for about 40 mins. Couldn't stay out in it much longer. Got some lovely pics. Snow day tomorrow! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,409 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

No, thats ridiculous.
    In a streamer setup its impossible to forecast where is going to get hit and where not. Read all the reports of people n Dublin that havent gotten snow. Streamers are very localised, impossible to predict.
    That said i do agree a little more human input into the forecasts would be good. These streamers today were certainly not a remote possibility given the current conditions so they should have warned about the possibility of eastern coastal areas getting dumpings. I don't envy them their position, forecasting is very much educated guesswork in these rare conditions.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Anyway the closure of Dublin Airport is a total joke. People affected will probably not be able to re-book and will miss Christmas. All for 1-2 inches of snow, the kind of snow which falls in Eastern and Northern Europe, Russia, and much of the US every single winter day.

Yeah, just open the airport with the runways covered in ice and snow, great idea :rolleyes: And by the way, it was excessive in the short timeframe it all fell in.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Snowing nicely in Malahide now for about 40 mins. Couldn't stay out in it much longer. Got some lovely pics. Snow day tomorrow! :)

Any chance you can upload them?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Fnutkrumpler

Well, UCD's latest update says exams are still go for tomorrow.

We'll see if they can still say that in a hours time. Looks like Dublin south is about to get buried.

Godammit though I really should study.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

The showers are evading here at the moment, seems to be a more easterly contigent to the wind now. So less southerly jogs to the precip as they hit land.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭u140acro3xs7dm

Any D4 folk in here? How many inches do you reckon have fallen there?

Every inch is a step closer to exams being cancelled.
    I would say 5 or 6 inches but my missus says 2 or 3" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭Elessar

Yeah go ahead and open the runway and have aircraft slide off the runway killing those people instead! :rolleyes:

The runways in russia and northern europe are subject to the same safety concerns.

Safety first FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭woop

Well, UCD's latest update says exams are still go for tomorrow.

We'll see if they can still say that in a hours time. Looks like Dublin south is about to get buried.

Godammit though I really should study.

yeh updated at 6.46pm. Im suprised to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Monkaa

fecking hell...getting back from town was a nightmare and I didnt experience in any way the worst of it! I got on the luas & the snow was so heavy! Mental! and then they announced no luas service past sandyford so had to walk to foxrock and got collected from there! The traffic was going no where & couldnt believe the depth of snow everywhere...good few inches in a an hour or two! Cant believe met eireann didnt see this coming...they really have got almost everything wrong lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

It was sunny where I am in South Dublin around 4pm. It was quite a clear day until around that time. These showers are extremely difficult to predict as it's not forming from any front. Also I'd advise you to check out the radar footage over the past few hours and you'll see just how scattered this is.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,409 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

The showers are evading here at the moment, seems to be a more easterly contigent to the wind now. So less southerly jogs to the precip as they hit land.
    12z showed a little wobble like this at the 850 before going back NE, keep the faith :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Will indeed, I'll stick 'em up on the weather pictures forum. First I gotta eat and warm up. Absolutely frozen.
    darkman2 wrote: »
    Any chance you can upload them?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement