Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National: Severe Cold/ Snow Discussion (Thanks to all!)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

The sun has come out here in Waterford City. Some nice cloud formations viewable of my webcam. Temp high was 8.5c at 11.35 now its 6.6c, Winds 13km/h for a NW direction.

More Data and Webcam @ www.waterfordcityweather.com

davidsr20 and others wanting real time expert analysis...( From people with other things to do :( )Also while MT when he comes back will give a view on the 06z gfs.
    The real news will be when the 12z ecm ukmo and gfs are out.
    So no more news untill around 5pm or so.
    patience!
    Here endeth my dinner break sadly!

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭davidsr20

fits wrote: »
    Because they have lives. MT Cranium lives in Vancouver... its 6am there now! The man needs to sleep too.

Seriously :mad:

Im not giving out its just there is normally an expert on thats all,M.T is great i love his work and yes everyone has there lives to live to so ur picking me up wrong :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

davidsr20 wrote: »
    Im sorry to for the logoff attitude im just disapointed too and wondering why none of the experts are letting us know how things are!

Some are asleep and will make a report soon enough. Others are dismissing the info they have as incorrect in some way and are waiting for other model runs to try and see where the error is or what in fact changed.

We've had a spectacular year, many record breaking events, five violent storms in the Atlantic at the same time, the largest hurricane season for a long while the biggest storms for a long time.

Unusual occurances and consequences of the Mexican Oil Spill, the Iclandic Volcano, earthquakes ... a fantastic year and today is just as exciting.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭fits

Im not giving out its just there is normally an expert on thats all,M.T is great i love his work and yes everyone has there lives to live to so ur picking me up wrong :)

I think the experts are waiting to see what happens with the next model run which will come out about 3.30. Until then you can only follow the reports.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

It seems some people come here spitting the dummy because it doesn't snow the minute they decide that it should, regardless of what is actually forecast. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I've been watching the birdlife for signs of strange and bizarre behaviour and apart from some nightime action they haven't been acting too strange or crazy... until now - they are now going beserk out there. :eek:

And I mean beserk - something Big is on its way.

rapid drop in dewpoint here now
    0.6c
    wintry precip soon at my location methinks
    ciao

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭odyboody

MET use the HIRLAM model. Have a look at the pricipition forcast and see what is shown heading towards Dublin right at the end of the run.
    http://www.dmi.dk/dmi/index/danmark/vejrkort.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Hammy_irl

eigrod wrote: »
    BBC visual forecast for Friday & Saturday with some good maps for us uninitiated :

Looks like Dublin and Wicklow getting a nice sprinkling on Sat.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/hi/news/newsid_9282000/9282009.stm

That looks like the rebels might see a bit tomorrow also....

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Im sorry to for the logoff attitude im just disapointed too and wondering why none of the experts are letting us know how things are!
    If you take your time to read through this thread as well as the daily forecasts thread, you will see the experts have been more than helpful in giving their take on things. Bear in mind they are all enthusiasts and mostly have jobs so cannot be expected to be at your beck and call.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

snow ghost wrote: »
    It seems some people come here spitting the dummy because it doesn't snow the minute they decide that it should, regardless of what is actually forecast. :rolleyes:

Exactly the main event was not forecasted to "begin" until Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Drakmord

It was 8 degrees in Galway this morning.
    Has dropped to 5 now.
    Has a good bit to go before it's cold enough to snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭davidsr20

We can just wait and see from now so,again i apologize if i came enoying there at some stages.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭nomadic

MT was just on newstalk talking to sean moncrief

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭wicklowdub

odyboody wrote: »
    MET use the HIRLAM model. Have a look at the pricipition forcast and see what is shown heading towards Dublin right at the end of the run.
    http://www.dmi.dk/dmi/index/danmark/vejrkort.htm

That run has changed considerable in the last 24 hours, the westerlies seem to be having a much bigger effect now. It was almost completely northerly yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

light flurry of snow just started in portarlington

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Hammy_irl

nomadic wrote: »
    MT was just on newstalk talking to sean moncrief

what did he say?!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,281 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Just reading some of the recent posts and people are saying that ME are behind with their models and there will be a downgrade?? I mean sorry but surely the national weather service wouldn't be that far behind?

How could this be??!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Steady in Cork:

7.1°C dropping now very slowly:
    Barro steady @1014 hPa
    Hum 89%
    Dew 5.4°C

Have to go to work. I'll rely on Sunbab08e and LeahyL to man the post in my absence. 73s/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭demakinz

3hr-rain.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭nomadic

same as on here really. He was talking about the potential for it to be a long cold spell rivaling 62-63

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Grand and sunny in Limerick! 6 degrees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 SquallyShowers

Blue skies with some cloud in north Roscommon.
    Com'on snow!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

leahyl wrote: »
    Just reading some of the recent posts and people are saying that ME are behind with their models and there will be a downgrade?? I mean sorry but surely the national weather service wouldn't be that far behind?

How could this be??!!

The most recent version of the model they use was the 0Z model. The GFS has a 06Z run while the ECM doesn't. It's not Met Eireann's fault that there isn't a 06Z ECM. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,281 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

The most recent version of the model they use was the 0Z model. The GFS has a 06Z run while the ECM doesn't. It's not Met Eireann's fault that there isn't a 06Z ECM. :pac:

Ok sorry:pac: so what you're saying is that ME don't use those models so they wouldnt know at this stage that there is a bit of a downgrade?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Hammy_irl wrote: »
    what did he say?!

recorded interview? he is up so..though better to get his views after 5pm!

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭John2009

Some nice showers for the north and northwest

Radar2-1.png

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

hardCopy wrote: »
    Snowing hard now in Leicester, nothing sticking yet.

(Is there an Ex-Pat thread?)

I used to be called Pat.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Blue skies with some cloud in north Roscommon.
    Com'on snow!

Mainly cloud though. Been watching the sky and this thread like a hawk all day!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Bright blue skies overhead here.. temp @1.9c. Slight breeze. First sign today of big fluffy snow clouds off to my east.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement