Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National: Severe Cold/ Snow Discussion (Thanks to all!)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

More snow than the last cold spell in dalkey, serious amounts been falling in the last hour or so. About 12-20 cm (depending on exposure) has fallen since this mornings heavy shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,409 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Rougies wrote: »
    Don;t be so sure Supercell, have a look at the latest satellite image. Notice anything familiar? ;)

looks like some streamers forming over the Irish Sea .. complete with Isle of man shadow!

Your optimistic, I just see cloud trains. Though these are what become streamers.
    Nowt bubbling up snow wise in the Irish Sea atm bar what's colliding on the coast right now .

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Dean.Tamkin

Whats the chance of snowfall north of dundalk tonite ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭irishdub14

Rougies wrote: »
    Don;t be so sure Supercell, have a look at the latest satellite image. Notice anything familiar? ;)

looks like some streamers forming over the Irish Sea .. complete with Isle of man shadow!

That does look encouraging on Sat24!

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭wicklowdub

Totally finished in greystones now got a good 5cm I reckon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

I'm clutching at the straw that the winds are due to turn a bit more northerly giving a longer sea track to here. If not tommorow looks like our best bet.

After the last few days ill be cautious and say a 55% chance of snow in wexford over the next 24 hrs.

Unreliability of the models denting my confidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Steopo

I do apologise for misusing the term 'blizzard' to get across the message of very heavy snow which is highly unusual in a coastal area like Donabate. Thanks for the clarification - a blizzard is in fact 56kph (or 35 miles) but I'll be more careful in future with my use of technical terms like blizzard, whiteout, graupel etc.. especially on these general chat forums

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

dacogawa wrote: »
    You said all that yesterday evening, you may have the terminology but you have no bed side manner, every time you comment it is to tell someone how wrong they are (or a wrong prediction) lighten up, its not nice that when someone who is happy its snowing comes on here and says 'its a streamer/blizzard' and you do the old school teacher on them every time

Let people enjoy their snow!

Im delighted for them, trust me..

It's just when there's a few measly showers out at sea, and someone calls it a streamer, it builds up hope for some people, who then are angry when zilch happens, blame people for saying different..

I do it all for a good cause, honest. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭JonnyM

nout here in arklow either anyone know how far south along the east coast the snow fell??

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭inabina

midnight thundersnow a possibility according to MT. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭miseagustusa

irish147 wrote: »
    we never got one snow flake here in wexford

not looking like a white wexford

none in arklow either:cool: its snowin in wicklow town, ashford n avoca but looks like thats as far south its going:o such a let down, and i'm now holdin out much hope for tomoro either:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

Hey all..

M.T. Cranium's latest forecast is up :)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055579971&page=126

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Any chance of snow in kerry tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Steopo wrote: »
    I do apologise for misusing the term 'blizzard' to get across the message of very heavy snow which is highly unusual in a coastal area like Donabate. Thanks for the clarification - a blizzard is in fact 56kph (or 35 miles) but I'll be more careful in future with my use of technical terms like blizzard, whiteout, graupel etc.. especially on these general chat forums

Im sorry if I made you recall it..

Im just so snow deprived, All I have to do is nit-pick :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Supercell wrote: »
    Your optimistic, I just see cloud trains. Though these are what become streamers.
    Nowt bubbling up snow wise in the Irish Sea atm bar what's colliding on the coast right now .

Exactly. And they've just started to form so I'm pretty optimistic. Next hour or should tell us whether they're gonna deliver or not. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

Over the last 3 days the south east was expected to get snow and here in waterford still nothing only a bare drizzle fri night , now i hear the south east could get heavy snow tommorow tuesday from weather currently hitting england hard , whats to be beleived here :) i keep expecting it but never arrives i wont be holding my breath for tommorow either :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭lucy2010

trogdor wrote: »
    We could have about another hour of this before it stops and then it's looking fairly clear for the next few hours at least, nearing about 5 inches here now right to the coast!

wow -

see folks big difference between a man & a womans inches lol

( Couldnt resist)

Thanks for that - big blobs over us from tomo morning onwards on : http://www.dmi.dk/dmi/index/danmark/vejrkort.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭steveLFC24

MT's latest forecast up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Lovely, heavy, powder-y stuff now. It's a much nicer kind of snow than we typically had during the last cold snap. It's accumulating at a fair pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

Anyone think it'll hit portarlington,its on the right path i just think it'll fizzle out by then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭dacogawa

John.Icy wrote: »
    Im delighted for them, trust me..

It's just when there's a few measly showers out at sea, and someone calls it a streamer, it builds up hope for some people, who then are angry when zilch happens, blame people for saying different..

I do it all for a good cause, honest. :)

Well thanks then, but when you put the 'sheeeeesh' or whatever at the end it sounds kind of nasty (to me)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

fastest accumulation Ive ever seen about 2 inches in just over an hour

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭liamygunner29

so whats the story now looking at raintoday it seems its going inland? Will there be more or would that be it for Dublin tonight? I do have to say I think the inland counties and the south east deserve a bit at this stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

couldn't believe after all the snow in the city centre this evening that there was nothing in Ongar/Clonsilla apart from Friday night's dusting. What a change in an hour!!! absolute blizzard conditions - everything white in a matter of minutes now- 1.5 inches have fallen in 30 mins and still bucketing down

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Anybody think if the national school in kilmac will be open tomorrow. Very heavy here in cabinteely area...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭lizzyd66

Calibos wrote: »
    Actually, no I didn't get the spikes yet. :D Just wearing my normal Timberland boots. Snow was thick enough on the ground to look pretty but thin enough to get traction on the dirt and stones underneath.

Took me from 4.15pm to 6.45pm to get from Leeson St to Bray driving. Had to abandon my car at petrol station on the way home and my sis picked me up in her 4 wheel jeep. Just wondering what shop in Bray has the spikes - might be handy over the next week!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Faaawwwwk. Took the eys of the velux above my head for about 5 mins, looked back up and it was covered with snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Mrs_H

Snowing again in Dundrum!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭goodies

sort of freezing rain now falling in d8......

I have to laugh though...been hiding on these forums for a few weeks now enjoying the maleness of it all...hello to the very few other ladysnowlovers...but some of ye are as bad as the hormonal ladeez on pregnancy sites tonight!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭NoodleMc

OH just called from Dundrum shopping center. Total gridlock outside apparently. They are making announcements asking people to leave their cars in the shopping center.:eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement