Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National: Severe Cold/ Snow Discussion (Thanks to all!)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Elmo5

we finally got some snow in Celbridge! wahoo!

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭mothel

Phew, that was a good one, especially as such a heavy bout was unexpected! And more to come over the next 2 days! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

That lump off the north west cost seems to be really intensifying in the last half hour on raintoday. Also seems to have turned a bit, coming straight from the north now so could bring a lot more of Mayo into play tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

Cherrycola wrote: »
    Are there more showers due over the next few days? Their flight is not due in until Thurs morning, but im panicking it will end up being a Heathrow situation within 24hrs. :(

Snow is forecast all the way to wednesday at least but as you may have guessed it is very difficult to say for sure what is going to happen.

You will not know what is going to happen until Thursday morning.

Sorry but really not possible to give anything but probabilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Damomanye

The snow is making its way much further inland unlike previous days where it was petering away. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 banSHE

Just a poor galwegian here wondering if there is any teeny weeny chance of us getting a few snowflakes tonight of tomorrow????????????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

Stopped again in Lucan. Prolly game over for this evening.

OK - never listen to a forecast - or even a nowcast - from me. It has started again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ffarrell7

Kiltipper always get huge snowfall. Gerry Murphy did confirm one thing when I talked to him about this in Carrickmacross, Moaghan where he is from. He did say that the highest snowfall on average in Ireland is in the Dublin/Wicklow mountains. Not surprising really given its location. 20 kilometers from sea, in the east and high mountains - over three thousand feet (980 metres plus).:D:D:D

ffarrell7 wrote: »
    Heavy snow again here in Dublin 15. However I have no confidence in what Met Eireann say anymore. Before I left Portmarnock today there was about 7 cm of snow...probably a lot more now and Dublin airport is once again getting a pasting. Lucky they(DAA) invested in really good Canadian built snow clearing equipment a few years ago. They are doing a great job..however no warning from Met Eireann today. My brother has more confidence in the postman in the bluestack mountains in Donegal than in these forecasters. It is not acceptable. We have had three winters in east and Dublin with quite a lot of snowfall (more than we were used to anyway!!) but Met Eireann still get it wrong on so may occasions. It beggars belief really.:mad::mad:
    Give it a break.

ME said it might snow on the easy coast.

The Airport get special updates all the time.

They can look at the radar just like the rest of us.

Just because you did not look or listen does not mean that noone else did.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 fiona5

:eek:no snow in arklow yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Can someone/anyone explain to me how is snow so hard to forecast? Went from a risk of snow in the east coast to several cm's in Kildare?!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Heaviest of the evening now !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

That lump off the north west cost seems to be really intensifying in the last half hour on raintoday. Also seems to have turned a bit, coming straight from the north now so could bring a lot more of Mayo into play tonight.

Can anyone confirm if there is anything coming from it though?

It's a small bit foggy in parts at the moment, and perhaps this is what is showing up. Remember Saturday night when there was a big blob like this over North East Mayo but nothing came from it.

whycliff wrote: »
    Can someone/anyone explain to me how is snow so hard to forecast? Went from a risk of snow in the east coast to several cm's in Kildare?!

About the same difficulty as picking the result of a premiership match

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

I'll admit i know nothing about the weather but how in the name of God did Met Eireann get it so wrong. Lunchtime today on the radio and no snow expected until late tonight/early tomorrow and yet by 5pm some roads in the capital where impassable. Totally unexceptable imo.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Smur

Heavy snow again here in Dublin 15. However I have no confidence in what Met Eireann say anymore. Before I left Portmarnock today there was about 7 cm of snow...probably a lot more now and Dublin airport is once again getting a pasting. Lucky they(DAA) invested in really good Canadian built snow clearing equipment a few years ago. They are doing a great job..however no warning from Met Eireann today. My brother has more confidence in the postman in the bluestack mountains in Donegal than in these forecasters. It is not acceptable. We have had three winters in east and Dublin with quite a lot of snowfall (more than we were used to anyway!!) but Met Eireann still get it wrong on so may occasions. It beggars belief really.:mad::mad:

It beggars belief that you think meteorology is an exact science

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

Easy - MU to win after scoring in the 97th minute. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Yeah but if you look at on met.ie there is a different story. Nothing falling from it. Nothing here all day. ..... Yet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭pokerface_me

Kiltipper always get huge snowfall. Gerry Murphy did confirm one thing when I talked to him about this in Carrickmacross, Moaghan where he is from. He did say that the highest snowfall on average in Ireland is in the Dublin/Wicklow mountains. Not surprising really given its location. 20 kilometers from sea, in the east and high mountains - over three thousand feet (980 metres plus).:D:D:D

Just topped 9 inches since 1630 and still hammering down, is there more forecast or is this it till tomorrow, really is a guessing game.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Mayo_Boy

Will north mayo get snow tonight?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Thats not telling me why its hard to call, more giving me the odds on calling it.

I was hoping for something a little more scientific than Andy Gray.

Mister men wrote: »
    I'll admit i know nothing about the weather but how in the name of God did Met Eireann get it so wrong. Lunchtime today on the radio and no snow expected until late tonight/early tomorrow and yet by 5pm some roads in the capital where impassable. Totally unexceptable imo.:mad:

Trouble is as you say, you know nothing about it.

If you know nothing about it how can you say it is totally unexceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Horse_box

Few pics- I'm in D16 btw075.jpg?t=1292882240080.jpg?t=1292882291077-Copy.jpg?t=1292882349

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 banSHE

WE WANT SNOW WE WANT SNOW WE WANT SNOW!!!!!

BUT WILL WE GET IT???????????????????????

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

...Lucky they(DAA) invested in really good Canadian built snow clearing equipment a few years ago...

Your source please? I have a friend who's flying out on Wednesday and this piece of information would be quite reassuring to him.

Thanks...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭giggsirish

t|nt|n wrote: »
    Heaviest of the evening now !

Thieves. Snow... Thieves. Still waiting on something in Kilcullen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Trouble is as you say, you know nothing about it.

If you know nothing about it how can you say it is totally unexceptable.
    I know how to do my own job.

You would think the people at met eireann would know their job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭stackerman

banSHE wrote: »
    WE WANT SNOW WE WANT SNOW WE WANT SNOW!!!!!

BUT WILL WE GET IT???????????????????????

Seeing as its Christmas . . .

You shall have some by close of business tomor :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Your source please? I have a friend who's flying out on Wednesday and this piece of information would be quite reassuring to him.

Thanks...:)

One of the Lads from IWO is a pilot and was just saying that the Dublin Airport could be in trouble the next 48 hours but shud be fine after that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Welsh Wizard

Will we see more streamers....?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement