Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National: Severe Cold/ Snow Discussion (Thanks to all!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

whycliff wrote: »
    Thats not telling me why its hard to call, more giving me the odds on calling it.

I was hoping for something a little more scientific than Andy Gray.

It is because there are so many variables that it is difficult.

The data available for this sort of weather is limited and the weather models are having difficulties.

With small changes there are large differences in results. In this case the snow that was falling in the Irish Sea and had been forecast to stay there or maybe skirt the coast came further inland.

ME had said that snow was possible on the east coast. When the variable changed the snow did not have far to move and everything changed in a matter of 90 min.

Is that good enough for you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

QUESTION : if the north patterns that are heading southern now collide with the east heading west/south clouds will they intensify more and head inland south or just stay on path all ready on :confused: im hoping somehow it heads my way :)

Mister men wrote: »
    I know how to do my own job.

You would think the people at met eireann would know their job.[/QUOT

lol Are you for real?

So you never have to make predictions or plans based on incomplete information?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

It is because there are so many variables that it is difficult.

The data available for this sort of weather is limited and the weather models are having difficulties.

With small changes there are large differences in results. In this case the snow that was falling in the Irish Sea and had been forecast to stay there or maybe skirt the coast came further inland.

ME had said that snow was possible on the east coast. When the variable changed the snow did not have far to move and everything changed in a matter of 90 min.

Is that good enough for you

Was my question not a valid one in a weather forum?

I didnt question anyones abilities to predict the weather, or belittle ME I was genuinely interested in knowing why its so hard to forecast snow from a scientific point of view.

To be honest your attitude in here fu*king stinks.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

we finally got a little bit of snow in Dunshaughlin Co. Meath, about an inch of snow fell this evening, I think we were just on the edge of the snow band further to our north there was nothing at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

I know how to do my own job.

You would think the people at met eireann would know their job.[/QUOT

lol Are you for real?

So you never have to make predictions or plans based on incomplete information?
    Pretty much no. I'm not perfect just close.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 fgrime

Snowing very heavy in Naas

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭kingshankly

today's snow here outside Dundalk was approximately 0 inches and that's definitely inches not centemeters :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭fizzycyst

I didnt question anyones abilities to predict the weather, or belittle ME I was genuinely interested in knowing why its so hard to forecast snow from a scientific point of view.

to be honest I would love to know too, why is it that a low pressure brining rain is so easy to predict but when it comes to snow anything can happen.

good question whycliff :)

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭davidsr20

will we see any snow in the midlands before tomorrow does anyone know?were constantly escaping it :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭waldo

5278671430_e92cfd680c_b.jpg
    Rathfarnham Snow by John Wallace Photography, on Flickr

For all the non believers out there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭fizzycyst

davidsr20 wrote: »
    will we see any snow in the midlands before tomorrow does anyone know?were constantly escaping it :(
    I know the feeling :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

Thats not telling me why its hard to call, more giving me the odds on calling it.

I was hoping for something a little more scientific than Andy Gray.
    I'll admit i know nothing about the weather but how in the name of God did Met Eireann get it so wrong. Lunchtime today on the radio and no snow expected until late tonight/early tomorrow and yet by 5pm some roads in the capital where impassable. Totally unexceptable imo.:mad:

I originally saw this quote on here by Su Campu and since I've seen it on the Irish Weather Online site by, presumably, the real Su Campu ;)

Consider a rotating spherical envelope of a mixture of gases, occasionally murky and always somewhat viscous. Place it around an astronomical object nearly 8000 miles in diameter. Tilt the whole system back and forth with respect to its source of heat and light. Freeze it at the poles of its axis of rotation and intensely heat it in the middle. Cover most of the surface of the sphere with a liquid that continually feeds moisture into the atmosphere. Subject the whole to tidal forces induced by the sun and a captive satellite. Then try to predict the conditions of one small portion of that atmosphere for a period of one to several days in advance.

It's obviously quite global etc., but hopefully you can grasp why you can't just look in the sky and tell what's going to happen tomorrow or the day after. Furthermore, just look at the radar (Met Eireann, RainToday etc..) and see how showers appear, break up, disappear etc. Even knowing that a low pressure this/that is on the way, different miniscule local elements change things.

It's not easy. If it was, being a forecaster wouldn't be a particular job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

waldo wrote: »

Wow. Almost as deep as Jupiter now.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ffarrell7

The North of Dublin and parts of South Dublin seem to have got a real bashing this morning, this afternoon and this evening. West Dublin has got quite a bit as well but less than other parts IMO.:D

And my comment about it being as easy as picking a premiership match was fine. This is a general snow discussion chat. There is a specific forecasting forum if you would like to try that.

Was not trying to be smart. (so sorry for offending your sensibilities)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Wow! Right up to jupiter..!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Daemonic

It'll be fupping chilly if it reaches Uranus :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 banSHE

"Seeing as its Christmas . . .

You shall have some by close of business tomor rolleyes.gif "

Thanks so much for that we will be waiting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

And my comment about it being as easy as picking a premiership match was fine. This is a general snow discussion chat. There is a specific forecasting forum if you would like to try that.

Was not trying to be smart. (so sorry for offending your sensibilities)

Apologies...

I'm in Naas. its snowing here. Great Stuff.
    Love snow i do.
    Hope we get more snow tomorrow.
    Might make a snow man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭_whiskers

SCHOOL IS CANCELLED!! Woo sorry for shouting but have been waiting for this for like 2 weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭NIALL D

that mass that came from the east coast is heading south westerly direction , do ye think it will make it far inland or jus break up ?

would ye think it will make it past porlaoise by much ? cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭giggsirish

Graupel! Thats the extent of our event for tonight. Seems the load has been shed to all the snow dancers and worshipers to the east.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Daemonic wrote: »
    It'll be fupping chilly if it reaches Uranus :D

post of the day :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Apologies...

I'm in Naas. its snowing here. Great Stuff.
    Love snow i do.
    Hope we get more snow tomorrow.
    Might make a snow man.

Couple of inches here, on the snow wine now following snow beers, may make a drunken snowman :pac:

giggsirish wrote: »
    Graupel! Thats the extent of our event for tonight. Seems the load has been shed to all the snow dancers and worshipers to the east.

How that missed you is beyond me !

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭channaigh

NIALL D wrote: »
    that mass that came from the east coast is heading south westerly direction , do ye think it will make it far inland or jus break up ?

would ye think it will make it past porlaoise by much ? cheers

i'd like to know that too pleaseeeeeee

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭handsomecake

good to see naas reprezentin in the thread

channaigh wrote: »
    i'd like to know that too pleaseeeeeee

Id say portlaoise is likely, it seems to be holding up well

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭whitesands

Listening to dublin bus base controllers here on a scanner, hilarious :D

Chaos out there & the drivers still have to do their last run.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement