Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National: Severe Cold/ Snow Discussion (Thanks to all!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭premiercad

Can someone tell me why "weather warnings" include info about thunder?:

Heavy snow showers in Munster, Connacht and Leinster today. Amounts of 4 to 8 cm generally, but 8 to 12 cm possible in west Munster and east Leinster. Risk of thunder in east Leinster.

Thunder has no risk...right? Why warn people?

tell that to the people working in dublin airport, thunder means big updraughts and severe turbulance plus potential for lightning strikes to aircraft

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

MilanPan!c wrote: »
    Can someone tell me why "weather warnings" include info about thunder?:

Heavy snow showers in Munster, Connacht and Leinster today. Amounts of 4 to 8 cm generally, but 8 to 12 cm possible in west Munster and east Leinster. Risk of thunder in east Leinster.

anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭LJD10

IM IN NAAS WHERE IS IT ? :eek:
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭bullylover

hey:) first post here:)
    Snowing in Clogherhead co louth :D
    Off to work now... horses in the snow:) so pretty:)

• Registered Users Posts: 38 CuteOne

Thunder + snow in Gorey !

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Light to moderate snow again here.

Same.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Tell that to the boardsie who posted up a video of himself getting electrocuted by lightning during the last stint of thundersnow :P he was ok though.

no need to bump your post, you just posted it!

Starting to lightly snow again in D2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 tphelan

Hoping it comes to Kilcock soon - can see dark clunds north, east and south east - looks from radar its coming....

• Registered Users Posts: 32 4diarmuid

Moderate but peristent fall of snow.

premiercad wrote: »
    tell that to the people working in dublin airport, thunder means big updraughts and severe turbulance plus potential for lightning strikes to aircraft

yes, but surely they're aware of these things and the general population doesn't need a warning...

Put it like this, I live in the US for almost 30 years, never heard a single thunder warning, ever. And planes aren't falling out of the sky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

anyone?

You do know what accompanies thunder prior to the noise you hear right? And in snowy conditions it's some of the worst kind to be outdoors in.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Bumble32

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    west cork is in for a battering

Fingers crossed that the city will get some.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭geetar

coming down in buckets in the dalkey area :D:D:D:D

but ive still got exams later.....:eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

looks like a lot of the commuters coming in on the M3 gave it a go this morning as the roads around the navan area at least seemed totally clear this morning, but the traffic was already backing up at around 7:45am once you got onto the N3 and by 8:30 it was almost solid back to where the old dual carriageway used to start.

i actually made it into work fine as i had to drop my wife off at the train station in clonsilla so she could make it to her xmas party tonight after work and she didn't want to risk the buses being cancelled or getting stuck in traffic.

but i got out of the car at work and realised i'd left my laptop at home so i had to come home again which was a bit of a schoolboy error. :o

still, i got home in no time at all thanks to the outside lane being mostly empty with the majority of people in their 2WD cars still with summer tyres on having to pootle along on the inside lane.

there's no excuse really at this stage, it's not like there hasn't been plenty of warning this was coming (again). people on the roads need to just get used to the idea that the weather is probably going to be like this on and off until march and make arrangements to ensure their vehicles are properly equipped to cope with it.

and whilst we're at it, i wish people would stop flashing me for driving faster than they are. just because they have no experience of how to drive safely on snow and ice and aren't in a vehicle properly equipped for the conditions, it doesn't mean that nobody else does. grrr! :mad:

and on a lighter note, snowcam. :)

out.jpg

hopefully it'll get a little more interesting later today looking at that forecast.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭milosh

Bray is getting a dumping again.

yes, but surely they're aware of these things and the general population doesn't need a warning...

Put it like this, I live in the US for almost 30 years, never heard a single thunder warning, ever. And planes aren't falling out of the sky.

Well i lived in Kansas and i can assure you i heard plenty of thunder, thunderstorm and lightning warnings there. And when i lived in Minnesota i always heard thunder warnings in the snow cause lightning is dangerous in the snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Tell that to the boardsie who posted up a video of himself getting electrocuted by lightning during the last stint of thundersnow :P he was ok though.

This guy...

no need to bump your post, you just posted it!

Starting to lightly snow again in D2

Yes, but thunder comes AFTER lightning. All that thunder he heard meant was, "hey, you were just stuck by lightning"...

And surely, surely, wouldn't a more appropriate warning be for lightning... not thunder...?

Sorry for the bump, but sure this thread moves a million miles an hour :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

geetar wrote: »
    coming down in buckets in the dalkey area :D:D:D:D

but ive still got xmas later.....:eek::eek::eek::eek:
    FYP :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Well i lived in Kansas and i can assure you i heard plenty of thunder, thunderstorm and lightning warnings there. And when i lived in Minnesota i always heard thunder warnings in the snow cause lightning is dangerous in the snow.

Ah come on, American weather is mad compared to ours :pac:

I'll never forget visiting my aunt and uncle in Chicago only to spend a day inside because of tornado warnings!

Anyway here's a pic from 10 mins ago.

BILD0033.jpg?t=1292927236

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Heaviest snow i've seen here in wexford since i was born dad said hes seen nothing like it in the last 30 years literally can't see 20 metres up the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ootbitb

vibe666 wrote: »
    looks like a lot of the commuters coming in on the M3 gave it a go this morning as the roads around the navan area at least seemed totally clear this morning, but the traffic was already backing up at around 7:45am once you got onto the N3 and by 8:30 it was almost solid back to where the old dual carriageway used to start.

i actually made it into work fine as i had to drop my wife off at the train station in clonsilla so she could make it to her xmas party tonight after work and she didn't want to risk the buses being cancelled or getting stuck in traffic.

but i got out of the car at work and realised i'd left my laptop at home so i had to come home again which was a bit of a schoolboy error. :o

still, i got home in no time at all thanks to the outside lane being mostly empty with the majority of people in their 2WD cars still with summer tyres on having to pootle along on the inside lane.

there's no excuse really at this stage, it's not like there hasn't been plenty of warning this was coming (again). people on the roads need to just get used to the idea that the weather is probably going to be like this on and off until march and make arrangements to ensure their vehicles are properly equipped to cope with it.

and whilst we're at it, i wish people would stop flashing me for driving faster than they are. just because they have no experience of how to drive safely on snow and ice and aren't in a vehicle properly equipped for the conditions, it doesn't mean that nobody else does. grrr! :mad:

and on a lighter note, snowcam. :)

out.jpg

hopefully it'll get a little more interesting later today looking at that forecast.

call that snow...it's just a dusting

Bizarre, lived in Arkansas, which has horrible weather, never heard one (lightning yes, thunder no)... and Boston, which gets this kind of snow endlessly, never heard one...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭joes girls

OH MY GOD!!!!
    It's unreal in Wexford now, so heavy, everything is white already!!!!

Yes, but thunder comes AFTER lightning. All that thunder he heard meant was, "hey, you were just stuck by lightning"...

And surely, surely, wouldn't a more appropriate warning be for lightning... not thunder...?

Sorry for the bump, but sure this thread moves a million miles an hour :D

Because not everyone sees lightning in the snow. So if you give a thunder warning and people hear it they can react to it because the warning was in their head for the thunder regardless of that posing the danger or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

A 14-year-old boy struck by lightning in a Dublin suburb yesterday has died.
    Patrick (Paddy) Ryan-Corr was struck by a bolt of lightning as he walked through a green space between Kilclare Gardens and Kilclare Crescent in Tallaght at around 4.30pm yesterday afternoon.
    He was just metres from his home and was returning to his house after being out with friends.
    Patrick suffered injuries to the left side of his head and exit wounds to his feet.
    One of his neighbours witnessed the flash of lightning and then saw him lying on the ground. He was treated by an ambulance crew at the scene before being brought to Tallaght Hospital.
    A spokesperson for Tallaght Hospital said Patrick never regained consciousness and died in the early hours of this morning.

The Citywise alternative education centre, which he attended, will offer counselling to his peers tomorrow.
    He was in second year of the midschool programme at the centre, which he had been attending since last September, and was due to sit his Junior Cert next year.
    In the last few weeks he was presented with a snooker cue by the centre as an award for having the best attendance record.
    Teachers said he was a keen snooker player and enjoyed fishing.
    He is survived by his parents, two sisters and a brother.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0413/lightning.html

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭bray man

snowing quite heavy and consistently here in bray. starting to see very nice accumilations, probably the most i've ever seen round here:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Dublin could get very disruptive snowfall from now for the next hour or so. Meanwhile both visually and on radar looks like North Dub might get something more significant soon too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭crisco10

More heavy snow in Stillorgan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Newtown90

Bumble32 wrote: »
    Fingers crossed that the city will get some.

By the looks of the radar on the link posted in the page before it will miss us in the city! Can't say i'm too disappointed though hahaha:o

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement