Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National: Severe Cold/ Snow Discussion (Thanks to all!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭dacogawa

12Z GFS looking better than the 06Z at 36 hours. Widespread snow.

You are a good man! so this is an end to the downcast ?

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ffarrell7

snaps wrote: »
    Yeah a huge dumping for Scotland and the UK

Scotland is in the UK and the UK is quite big..places like Dorset, Devon hardly ever get snow..a bit like Cork..I lived in Dorset for a year and a half and it has extremely mild winters..akin to west Cork/South Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Light fall of hailstones now in east mayo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

I'm starting to see some flakes in wicklow now...

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Winger_PL

Great interview there M.T., given that this is a general chat I'll allow myself to congratulate you, surely your name is already known at ME offices, you're just getting more and more famous. Keep up the brilliant work!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭jprboy

jprboy wrote: »
    Heavy snow here 5 miles south of Nenagh and it's sticking. Almost calm too after a strong breeze a few mins ago.

Lightened off for a while but large white flakes now falling straight down in dead calm conditions

• Registered Users Posts: 31,074 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

ffarrell7 wrote: »
    Scotland is in the UK and the UK is quite big..places like Dorset, Devon hardly ever get snow..a bit like Cork..I lived in Dorset for a year and a half and it has extremely mild winters..akin to west Cork/South Kerry.

I lived in Dublin for 5 years and it had extremely mild winters. Then winter 2009/10 came along. :pac:

Right now I'm just a bit concerned about the day after tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

Am I seeing convection over Dublin Bay ? ...

But they are not yet showing up on radar, "Streamers" from the NE winds maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭premiercad

12Z GFS rolling and not bad at all still showing a PL skirting the south coast

h850t850eu.png

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

dacogawa wrote: »
    You are a good man! so this is an end to the downcast ?

It looks better for snow over a wide area tomorrow night / Saturday morning.

But that doesn't mean that is what will happened. The next run could show something worse again, or better....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 tjbrosnan

Tactical wrote: »
    What's the "rule of thumb"? Is it 1mm of precipitation = 3 mm of snow or am I just completely mixed up?

Common ratio is 10 to 1, so one 1mm ~= 1cm but this ratio can vary anywhere from 6 - 20

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

Large white snowflakes falling for about half an hour in East Clare. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Big change again on the GFS 12Z run its all over the place with that low, if it turned out correct there would be serious snow for the whole country fri night/sat morn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Brenireland

Woke me up they did.

Not really, was expecting the call ... hope you could make me out.

Seems that the cold air has rushed in so quickly that the sea effect is lagging behind, can't keep up so to speak, but convection takes place over land, this explains the earlier question about why snow showers mostly on land (so far).

From the radar and sat image, would expect the sea effect to catch up very soon and join the fray, but also, a frontal band has formed over Clare that could provide strong bursts of snow as it moves southeast this evening.

It's going to feel like -7 C outside in most of the country by 7-8 p.m. with the temperature continuing to drop steadily to about -2 C. Roads will almost certainly become icy and any slight snow cover will not help matters. I am expecting some very heavy bursts of snow with the sea-effect streamers arriving over Mayo and Donegal, extending further inland. Also, the five-day period looks full of potential and I've already seen the current 500-mb which shows the winds at 10,000 metres up coming straight from Greenland at 140 knots. A most unusual jet stream cutting right over the Greenland ice plateau.

Heading off to check the 12z GFS run now. :pac:

Heard your interview earlier!,well done it was great!Great to be able hear from a professional & getting the updates on Boards.ie are a Life saver...Continued success with the new irishweather website!

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭PistolPete78

:) Yes yes... coming down quite heavy... Temp drop from 5 to 2 in last half hour. :eek: Long may it last!! :D:D:D
    Friday night should be fun,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

Snow in belmullet in 3pm report - things are looking good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

ffarrell7 wrote: »

has there ever been a post where you haven't mentioned cork?!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

:) Yes yes... coming down quite heavy... Temp drop from 5 to 2 in last half hour. :eek: Long may it last!! :D:D:D
    Friday night should be fun,

where roughly in limerick?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

All of Limerick is Rough !

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭PistolPete78

just a few miles from the city... lightened off a bit now, temp 1.5 :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Timistry

anything in the south yet? temps are still very high.....

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭The Little Fella

snowflakes starting to fall now, there's no flies on me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Really chucking it down here now (outside letterkenny) took some quick photos just as it started, hopefully in an hours time when i take more (light permitting) the ground will be white... actually looking out my window i cant see much grass already!!! It seems to be comming in short sharp bursts though of really heavy snow for 5 - 10 mins then 30 mins till the next shower!

5266521784_b8ef52055a_z.jpg

5265923389_ece17d12a4_z.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Heard the interview too, but I think that was an impostor....my M.T. sounds like Morgan Freeman! :D

Cold and clear here in Monaghan:(

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭kkontour

Heavy shower in south sligo!
    :D:D:D:D:D:D:D
    Whiteout for a few minutes,
    easing off again now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭laurence997

No snow here yet :(

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ellieh1

Snowing in Limerick city wohoo!!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭DarkBlonde

Started snowing in east Limerick 15 minutes ago. Its not sticking though, temperature is at 5 degrees. Come on the cold..... Oh the anticipation is killing me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,763 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

snow ghost wrote: »
    Snow in belmullet in 3pm report - things are looking good.

sure is! if belmullet is reporting snow!! are you getting excited yet snow ghost:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,763 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Heard your interview earlier!,well done it was great!Great to be able hear from a professional & getting the updates on Boards.ie are a Life saver...Continued success with the new irishweather website!

would anyone have a link to this please?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement