Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National: Severe Cold/ Snow Discussion (Thanks to all!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭stackerman

vibe666 wrote: »

still, i got home in no time at all thanks to the outside lane being mostly empty with the majority of people in their 2WD cars still with summer tyres on having to pootle along on the inside lane.

there's no excuse really at this stage, it's not like there hasn't been plenty of warning this was coming (again). people on the roads need to just get used to the idea that the weather is probably going to be like this on and off until march and make arrangements to ensure their vehicles are properly equipped to cope with it.

and whilst we're at it, i wish people would stop flashing me for driving faster than they are. just because they have no experience of how to drive safely on snow and ice and aren't in a vehicle properly equipped for the conditions, it doesn't mean that nobody else does. grrr! :mad:

Hi again Vibe, couldnt agree more.

SO glad I got my winter/snow tyres :D

All the slagging gits are now looking for lifts :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Looking at the radar, Dublin going to get a decent chunk through the day.

Getting into work may have been possible but getting home will become an increasing concern for all through the day.

Currently moderate snow here.

We are up to 3 1/2 inches overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Monkaa

White out in Carrickmines

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Mmmuffin

Bucketing down now in Sandyford

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

Monkaa wrote: »
    White out in Carrickmines

Tip ex in Finglas.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Cocaine in Clontarf ;)

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

So people don't think I'm making it up, here's the entirety of the Winter Storm Warnings, issued by the US National Weather Service:

http://forecast.weather.gov/wwamap/wwatxtget.php?cwa=usa&wwa=Winter%20Storm%20Warning

Not a single mention of thunder... in fact the ONLY mentions of thunder on the NWS sight are in the context of, if you hear thunder, beware of lightning, and always wrapped up as part of a lightning safety bit....

So, as thunder doesn't pose a threat... why warn...?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Cork:(

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭bullylover

big white flakes bucketing down in clogherhead!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Mr. Larson

vibe666 wrote: »
    i got home in no time at all thanks to the outside lane being mostly empty with the majority of people in their 2WD cars still with summer tyres on having to pootle along on the inside lane.

there's no excuse really at this stage, it's not like there hasn't been plenty of warning this was coming (again). people on the roads need to just get used to the idea that the weather is probably going to be like this on and off until march and make arrangements to ensure their vehicles are properly equipped to cope with it.

So we should all go out and by 4X4's should we? What are you on about?Also, try getting winter tyres from any of the garages. They will look at you like you have 3 heads.

I do agree though about people flashing you - I agree with you that is. If you've got the hardware and the brain to safely travel at a speed and area of the road that other people don't - I don't see why they need to give you a hard time about it by flashing you. That's just ignorant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Brenireland

wonder if we'll even get a small fall of snow for new years eve here,make it feel somewhat like christmas..

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭bullylover

we have a pick up with a bale of hay in the back... does the job jst lovely!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Light-ish downpour of small fluffy snow in D2 at the moment.

I'm assuming this is the start of the streamer coming in from the Irish sea.

Gradually getting heavier.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭steveLFC24

Tell that to the boardsie who posted up a video of himself getting electrocuted by lightning during the last stint of thundersnow :P he was ok though.

no need to bump your post, you just posted it!

Starting to lightly snow again in D2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

i just farted :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

MilanPan!c wrote: »
    So people don't think I'm making it up, here's the entirety of the Winter Storm Warnings, issued by the US National Weather Service:

http://forecast.weather.gov/wwamap/wwatxtget.php?cwa=usa&wwa=Winter%20Storm%20Warning

Not a single mention of thunder... in fact the ONLY mentions of thunder on the NWS sight are in the context of, if you hear thunder, beware of lightning, and always wrapped up as part of a lightning safety bit....

So, as thunder doesn't pose a threat... why warn...?

Who cares tbh

Because not everyone sees lightning in the snow. So if you give a thunder warning and people hear it they can react to it because the warning was in their head for the thunder regardless of that posing the danger or not.

That's using thunder as a warning system for lightning... and that's grand... what the Met says is this:

"Risk of thunder in east Leinster."

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

ootbitb wrote: »
    call that snow...it's just a dusting
    yeah, i know. :(

still, it looks like the weather might be picking up, so watch this space. :D
    keving wrote: »
    Hi again Vibe, couldnt agree more.

SO glad I got my winter/snow tyres :D

All the slagging gits are now looking for lifts :pac::pac:
    i actually don't have specifically winter tyres myself, but they're almost new all-weather, all-terrain tyres and they give me plenty of grip, plus the 4WD is a great help too. the only time i'll be getting stuck is if it gets deep enough to bottom out, but i have almost a foot of ground clearance so it'll have to get pretty bad before that happens. :)

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Made the decision to work from home today... feck all snow here so far this morn, just a few microscopic grains floating about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

More falling in Dublin 6W/12 after a 20 minute respite. Mrs tried to get taxi home from work, none available and thats @ 10.30....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭stackerman

MilanPan!c wrote: »
    That's using thunder as a warning system for lightning... and that's grand... what the Met says is this:

"Risk of thunder in east Leinster."

Moving on . . . .:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Bog Butter

Have to go to airport now from Meath. Will I go M1 or M3/M50? Which is better road condition wise?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

So we should all go out and by 4X4's should we? What are you on about?Also, try getting winter tyres from any of the garages. They will look at you like you have 3 heads.

Bought my winters online 3 weeks ago - simple really, we were warned this was coming back. just need to plan. i ll have winters on Nove to Feb every year now regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭srocliffe

Started to snow lightly again, similar to the way it started the last time, before getting much heavier. This could turn into an epic day for snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

More falling in Dublin 6W/12 after a 20 minute respite. Mrs tried to get taxi home from work, none available and thats @ 10.30....

There were no taxis on the rank at St Stephens green this morning, there are some there now and they are skidding about the place. Won't be long before they all pack it in and go home I'd say.

A 14-year-old boy struck by lightning in a Dublin suburb yesterday has died.
    Patrick (Paddy) Ryan-Corr was struck by a bolt of lightning as he walked through a green space between Kilclare Gardens and Kilclare Crescent in Tallaght at around 4.30pm yesterday afternoon.
    He was just metres from his home and was returning to his house after being out with friends.
    Patrick suffered injuries to the left side of his head and exit wounds to his feet.
    One of his neighbours witnessed the flash of lightning and then saw him lying on the ground. He was treated by an ambulance crew at the scene before being brought to Tallaght Hospital.
    A spokesperson for Tallaght Hospital said Patrick never regained consciousness and died in the early hours of this morning.

The Citywise alternative education centre, which he attended, will offer counselling to his peers tomorrow.
    He was in second year of the midschool programme at the centre, which he had been attending since last September, and was due to sit his Junior Cert next year.
    In the last few weeks he was presented with a snooker cue by the centre as an award for having the best attendance record.
    Teachers said he was a keen snooker player and enjoyed fishing.
    He is survived by his parents, two sisters and a brother.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0413/lightning.html

Not sure how this is related... poor kid... thunder comes after lightning... I doubt kids here or in most places would run home if they heard distant thunder...

tragedy, but doesn't see how a "risk of thunder" warning could've helped him... or anyone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Moderate snow here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭ironingbored

Just started snowing in Donabate again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Interesting read in the Daily Express - a shape of things to come?
    http://www.dailyexpress.co.uk/posts/view/218537

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭dmaprelude

Coming down again in Ballymount

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement