Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National: Severe Cold/ Snow Discussion (Thanks to all!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭The Little Fella

thunder here now

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭laurence997

thunder here now

THUNDERSNOW!! :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Brenireland

Really chucking it down here now (outside letterkenny) took some quick photos just as it started, hopefully in an hours time when i take more (light permitting) the ground will be white... actually looking out my window i cant see much grass already!!! It seems to be comming in short sharp bursts though of really heavy snow for 5 - 10 mins then 30 mins till the next shower!

5266521784_b8ef52055a_z.jpg

5265923389_ece17d12a4_z.jpg

Homer simpson lives in letterkenny?,surely this merits a new threadd?:p:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3 malanyvilla42

would anyone have a link to this please?

http://media.newstalk.ie/listenback/46/thursday/2/popup

It starts at 22 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Nothing at all here in Galway City yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

DarkBlonde wrote: »
    Started snowing in east Limerick 15 minutes ago. Its not sticking though, temperature is at 5 degrees. Come on the cold..... Oh the anticipation is killing me :D

Patience, patience, patience.

Temps WILL drop, its just a matter of waiting.

Here in West Limerick the cloud cover is returning from the north and it has brought a light hail shower.

Patience as it unfolds as forecast. Its a little like a baby being born. We're just in the early stages of labour and we can't inject oxytocin into this system :D:p:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

s_carnage wrote: »
    Nothing at all here in Galway City yet

I'd call sleet something. Heavy shower on the east of the city a short while ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭The Little Fella

Snow getting heavier now.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭DarkBlonde

thunder here now

Really? Hebertstown is not that far from me. I would like some thunder too please :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Snowing again in Donegal town.. showers becoming more frequent. nothing sticking to tarmac yet.. fields on the hills looking a little whiter... nearly time to start watching lampost !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭NIALL D

snowing here in south tipp guys with about an hour ..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Lads 12z runs are epic.

First load of snow on Friday night into Saturday then potential for another whammy during Sunday.

Expect widespread accumulations of 5-10cm with upto 30cm in parts between tomorrow night and Saturday.

This areas of intense snow is at the moment forecast for southern Ulster and North Leinster but could be anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

sure is! if belmullet is reporting snow!! are you getting excited yet snow ghost:D

I've been excited for the last week Nacho! :pac: But yeah, Belmullet getting snow is definitely a sign!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭th3 s1aught3r

If I see nothing else, I want to see Thundersnow

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

The 12Z GFS showing potential for a very severe snow event Sunday/Monday.

Chances are there will be a downgrade and it won't happen at all but if it did happen it would be a major event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭ciaranm

The 12Z GFS showing potential for a very severe snow event Sunday/Monday.

Chances are there will be a downgrade and it won't happen at all but if it did happen it would be a major event.

:)

Go on, put a number on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

I'd call sleet something. Heavy shower on the east of the city a short while ago.

Seriously?? On the east side too and have been looking occasionally out the window and haven't seen a thing!!! Will have to get the glasses on!!

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭outsourced_ire

Latest tweet from @iweatheronline
    Irish Weather Online
    Latest output from weather models significantly upgrade snow potential for entire country during tomorrow afternoon to Saturday midday #IWO

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

I'm supposed to be driving from Cork to Dublin tomorrow and back either Friday evening or Saturday morning, am I insane? (please try to keep answer linked to my question ;))

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

ciaranm wrote: »
    :)

Go on, put a number on it.

Anyone who does may be shot come Saturday night.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Lads 12z runs are epic.

First load of snow on Friday night into Saturday then potential for another whammy during Sunday.

Expect widespread accumulations of 5-10cm with upto 30cm in parts between tomorrow night and Saturday.

This areas of intense snow is at the moment forecast for southern Ulster and North Leinster but could be anywhere.

Being on here must be what taking hard drugs is like.... first you're down, then you're up, then you're down.... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

sure is! if belmullet is reporting snow!! are you getting excited yet snow ghost:D

I can confirm from the Belmullet hq i.e. my parents house, it was only a brief shower but still.... :D

Snowing again here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

Then your up again
    Love the smell of snowflakes in the morning

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

PauloMN wrote: »
    Being on here must be what taking hard drugs is like.... first you're down, then you're up, then you're down.... :D

Not if your on the snowstorm stuff:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Snow in Dundalk!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭th3 s1aught3r

Cant wait to see how ME/RTE are going to forecast this one later ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Brenireland

gally74 wrote: »
    Then your up again
    Love the smell of snowflakes in the morning

really?:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

An off flake in kk city over the last few minutes, don't think it's really cold enough yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭carlmwan

Does anyone no whats up with irelandsweather the meath station has been off for about 1 week:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

I'm supposed to be driving from Cork to Dublin tomorrow and back either Friday evening or Saturday morning, am I insane? (please try to keep answer linked to my question ;))

Yup!

Leave the Civic, Subaru or Mitsy at home and get a horse ;)

Seriously though, Monday there wasn't a sign of salt applied to the roads (motorways and National Primary Routes) even though they were wet enough for it to have an effect. The icing was lethal. Proper black ice for prolonged stretches.

If you have to travel, bring some foul weather gear (see other threads for suggestions), drive according to conditions, leave the brake pedal at home, slow gently manouvers, planning manouvers long ahead of time. Situational awareness, you'll be driving for yourself and the idiots who don't care.

Double journey time as a conservative estimate and lengthen according to conditions as they develop.

Look at this website for road temps and conditions http://www.nratraffic.ie/weather/default.asp?view=air&RegionId=0

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement