Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National: Severe Cold/ Snow Discussion (Thanks to all!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Iy takes about 90 mins to go about 10 miles so patience grasshoppa.
    The clump last night was the same.
    Snowing and piling up.
    This shower looks like it's dropped another half inch already in 10 mins

At least it will be over us for awhile when it does arrive so. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭premiercad

Where do you get that radar map with the red indicating snow? Can someone post up the whole country so we get an idea where we're at? Thankssmile.gif

LEAHYL This stuff is curling south east but kerry is robbing most of it with the reeks...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,601 ✭✭✭Speak Now

premiercad wrote: »
    ya this weather circled needs to be watch big time!

You're showing a south easterly there

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Jake1 wrote: »
    Im gutted :( My poor son is stuck in an airport till at least 5 o clock he says.
    if this snow keeps up all day, he wont get here at all. Luckily for me, I was kinda mentally prepared due to MT's warning a few weeks ago. So thanks again MT, you are a diamond.

Where is he flying from? If he is in the UK maybe the ferry is the best option?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Dr.Reid

Woke this morning to surprise snow (the best kind) in Castlebar, got another 4-5 inches on top of the 4-5 of compacted snow we had already and drove to work in ballina then which got an epic 8 inches overnight from a streamer, there was already about 4-5 inches of compacted snow...I have never seen snow like it!!

Ballina is pretty epic atm. Went to bed with very fine flakes falling and woke up to find my brother compiling a list of names for his snowman!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Midday report at Dublin Airport is astonishing, Snow Shower/ -5c.:D:D

Hail starting here now, interesting, could actually lower the snow cover due to the covers fluffiness!

hes at stansted airport. I dont know what he'll decide to do now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

I'll drive over and collect him for a fee :D

utter chaos on arklows main street now as a truck has got stuck on it.
    AVOID

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Lovely fluffy flakes falling in Naas again :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

It may be the best bet - my brother had to do it yesterday when he was stuck in Heathrow, and he is at home in Tipperary now. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

**** all of yiz and yizzers snow!

I'm not jealous. :(

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

The front over in Wales is picking up intensity and is on course for a direct collision with Dublin/Wicklow.

Snows finally starting to make headway to inland counties. The Welsh trough could push further inland, so stay tuned :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Had to walk from Sandymount over to the O2 in that last batch, took lots of photos along the way, here's some :)

picture.php?albumid=1504&pictureid=8228

picture.php?albumid=1504&pictureid=8229

picture.php?albumid=1504&pictureid=8230

picture.php?albumid=1504&pictureid=8231

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Unbelieveable. Saturday night there is a system out to the West which basically scrapes the Connemara coast, dumping them with snow., while I'm 30 miles away wondering what if. Now the showers can't stop hitting the East and I'm still stuck with my poxy 2 inches (of snow) from Friday. Ye don't know how lucky ye are!! Anyone complaining about too much snow can fook off!:(

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Big fluffy snow falling again now after brief lull. -1.3c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭fizzycyst

You're showing a south easterly there
    would this be good for us Jerry?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Am I right in thinking this is the best time of day for convection ?

If so will that mass coming off Wales get stronger ?

Snow is falling again here in UCD.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Its from raintoday.co.uk Only the premium one has the snow mentioned though.

I'm directly under the Kerry blob and there is nothing happening here -9c this morning, painfully cold! There is snow clouds in the air just no action. :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Don't think those snow showers are going to push much further inland than they are now. No new snow here, still the 6-7cm from Friday's fall. Its bitter cold out though, not a drip drip in sight....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

My Mrs and child are in Heathrow, in the same boat. If they can re-open the runway at 5, then they'll all be there tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭djhaxman

amacachi wrote: »

I hear ya. Although we might get our fair share later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Getting very dark again and snow falling again in Malahide.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Big shower headed for CC just clipping me here to my south.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭premiercad

The front over in Wales is picking up intensity and is on course for a direct collision with Dublin/Wicklow.

Snows finally starting to make headway to inland counties. The Welsh trough could push further inland, so stay tuned smile.gif

UK met have the trough licking inland a far bit

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Steopo

Still snowing here in Donabate - about 6 inches on top of car. Wind seems to be picking up a little bit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

amacachi wrote: »

Give it time....with the current set up I can't see us not getting anything before tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Wibbler

t|nt|n wrote: »
    Yeah thats the one, if that beefs up nobody is going anywhere !

Anyone like to hazard a guess as to where and when that will hit? I'm eyeing up the commute home from Sandyford (Hell frozen over) to Swords this evening.

I had a day's holidays yesterday so missed the evening fun yesterday on the M50. Beginning to think that I'm no going to get away with it tonight.

Had a reasonably quiet commute this morning, but was struck by two things:

1) Huge number of abandoned cars everyehere.
    2) The unfeasibly large number of intrepid cyclists out on the roads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Nicki123

If anyone is thinking about getting the ferry my advice is to get online and book them a ticket asap as they're almost full for the week. My sister's been en route from Bangkok since last Friday and should be getting off the train in Holyhead any time soon. She said that there's signs up in London Euston telling people not to get on the train if they don't have a ferry ticket booked.
    I rang Irish Ferrys this morning and was told that they're booking up rapidly.
    Good luck - I hope your son gets home or else has somewhere warm and comfy to see out his wait.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement