Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National: Severe Cold/ Snow Discussion (Thanks to all!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

4pm to hazard a guess

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

It is really bucketing it down in UCD now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Seems like after this next band about to hit dublin, things will quieten down for us here for a while?

The Wales feature seems to be next on the horizon but might be a while I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭cranks

Steady fall of large fluffy flakes starting again in Dublin 4 - they seem to be whispering to 'you lot are fcuked; wait and see our mates coming behind us'. Seagulls heading inland. Cat worried; I'm a bit worried......

Sorry for the technical language.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

djhaxman wrote: »
    I hear ya. Although we might get our fair share later.
    Don't see it happening.
    Wertz wrote: »
    Give it time....with the current set up I can't see us not getting anything before tonight.
    I've no expertise at all but just based on what I've seen over the last couple of day I can see no reason for it changing and coming up here, unless there's a wind direction change forecast. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Seagulls have been inland here all week...they're on to a good thing with all the food left out for the woodland birds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

coming down again :) light/moderate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Wibbler wrote: »
    Anyone like to hazard a guess as to where and when that will hit? I'm eyeing up the commute home from Sandyford (Hell frozen over) to Swords this evening.

I had a day's holidays yesterday so missed the evening fun yesterday on the M50. Beginning to think that I'm no going to get away with it tonight.

Had a reasonably quiet commute this morning, but was struck by two things:

1) Huge number of abandoned cars everyehere.
    2) The unfeasibly large number of intrepid cyclists out on the roads.
    Go home now,make up an excuse.Left Dundrum at 1630 yesterday for Castleknock and after 2 failed attempts to get to the M50 ended up back where i began at 2030,left again at 0000 and got home at 0130 last night with little petrol.Never again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

posted a version of this already, but fiddled with it a bit more.

Needless to say, this is where I'd rather be than in the office :D

140270.jpg

No snow falling at the moment, but hope some more is on the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Taxedalot

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Big fluffy snow falling again now after brief lull. -1.3c

Where in D16?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭meathgal2010

The RTE weatherforecast there basically had snow on the east coast till thursday:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Give it time....with the current set up I can't see us not getting anything before tonight.

I think we could eventually do very well later on. That air mass that Gremlin pointed out in the other thread seems to heading right on course in the last radar evolution :pac:

Opr

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭jrd

LookingFor wrote: »
    Seems like after this next band about to hit dublin, things will quieten down for us here for a while?

The Wales feature seems to be next on the horizon but might be a while I guess.

The Wales feature is coming right at Dublin - see raintoday forecast for 1555 - subject to the prevailing wind !

screenshot20101221at131.png

PS Edit - met.ie have it hitting the east coast as well

screenshot20101221at132.png

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭cranks

For those of you debating whether to leave work - do it now; err on the side of caution; so what if you turn out to be wrong. Last evening in Dublin was awful. For me it was 3 hours for the approx. 1 1/2 miles from tunnel to Sandymount; for others worse. Sky looking ominous at moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,409 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Lashing down snow again in D4, city center will get dumped on shortly.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭miseagustusa

utter chaos on arklows main street now as a truck has got stuck on it.
    AVOID

the navvy hill is brutal also, loads of cars sliding back down :O ......so thats the 2 routes around town blocked :O ............... n bypass is brutal also..........

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭channaigh

when will it get to kilkenny will i have to go to work tomorrow And thursday. anyone want to take a guess at when it will arrive pleaseeeeeeeeee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

amacachi wrote: »

I've no expertise at all but just based on what I've seen over the last couple of day I can see no reason for it changing and coming up here, unless there's a wind direction change forecast. :(

No expert either, just take a keen interest. Only have to look at the circulation in the sea on the 1pm radar sweep, the shower that went N of drog and is hitting ardee....see all the stuff S of IoM? That's got our name on it. The clump off wales should beef up over water (we won't see any of that but it will push the current stuff further N and may even feed into it which may effect us).

I could be completely wrong but this set up is defo better than yesterday. Could be doing with some snow...mighjt improve the f*cking roads around here...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

After 4pm today! ?

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Sky getting ominously dark again here in Ballsbridge

• Advertisement

Seagulls have been inland here all week...they're on to a good thing with all the food left out for the woodland birds.
    Aye, always funny seeing them bully the little birds away. :pac:
    cranks wrote: »
    For those of you debating whether to leave work - do it now; err on the side of caution; so what if you turn out to be wrong. Last evening in Dublin was awful. For me it was 3 hours for the approx. 1 1/2 miles from tunnel to Sandymount; for others worse. Sky looking ominous at moment.
    If I were in Dublin I'd be leaving by 2, looks horrendous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

The RTE weatherforecast there basically had snow on the east coast till thursday:eek:

How about waterford will we see some snow???????

• Registered Users Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭crisco10

My girlfriend popped over for a few hours yesterday and hasn't been able to get home. I live in Stillorgan, she in Killiney!! Some serious snow....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Anyone know how bad does it have to get before trains are cancelled? I'm in limbo coz don't know if I'll have school for the next few days. There's only one possible train slot left with seats that I can book (assuming I'm off school) but I don't want to book if there's a good possibility it won't run/I'm in school!

Wibbler wrote: »
    Had a reasonably quiet commute this morning, but was struck by two things:

2) The unfeasibly large number of intrepid cyclists out on the roads.

Not that I can talk for everyone you saw, but mountain bike tyres & low pressure give decent grip. Plus some people like me have ice-tyres which give excellent grip :)

Starting to come down heavily in Terenure again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Supercell wrote: »
    Lashing down snow again in D4, city center will get dumped on shortly.

Aye, pretty bad in UCd at the moment. If anyone is still on campus I would advise them to get going, the carparks are becoming terrible - people stuck everywhere. The current snowfall is the heaviest it has been over the last day.

I could be completely wrong but this set up is defo better than yesterday. Could be doing with some snow...mighjt improve the f*cking roads around here...

Fair enough, didn't notice some of those things you mentioned the last time I checked out the radar.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

heavy snow in goatstown again here.
    Just put out some more fatballs for the birds, think I have 8 of them and 4 feeders and a robintray, bloody blackbirds or starlings or something fighting all over them, scaring the cute ikkle ones away :(
    Wish my cat could be a bit more into the snow, and selective in her hunting....

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭lucy2010

Nicki123 wrote: »
    If anyone is thinking about getting the ferry my advice is to get online and book them a ticket asap as they're almost full for the week. My sister's been en route from Bangkok since last Friday and should be getting off the train in Holyhead any time soon. She said that there's signs up in London Euston telling people not to get on the train if they don't have a ferry ticket booked.
    I rang Irish Ferrys this morning and was told that they're booking up rapidly.
    Good luck - I hope your son gets home or else has somewhere warm and comfy to see out his wait.

If foot passengers are stuck when they get there for a place on the ship ask any trucker to add you as a vehicle passenger. Significant other said it was happening on Sunday night all over the place & the girls were really nice & doing it for everyone. He brought a couple back who had been stranded at heathrow for 2 days having travelled from the states & hadnt been home since 1981 ..:D These poor people were just in shock ...De je veu ... He then ran his brother from the port & got them taxied to Swords ..If you need to get home think outside the box.
    We travel back & forth for filming & they really are a lovely bunch of guys all with wives & kiddies at home so would be more than willing to help anyone stranded get home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭_whiskers

Comind down here heavy now, already have a good 5 inches :D here's hoping for another 5 :eek::)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement