Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National: Severe Cold/ Snow Discussion (Thanks to all!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭cranks

Here we go.
    I think the baby jesus could come down in this one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

I don't think much snow will push in past Dublin, Louth and Wicklow. Seems to be all dumped on the city and suburbs, Then the clouds fade out till the next ones arrive. Unless the wind speed picks up, I think only the coastal counties will get a hammering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

crisco10 wrote: »
    My girlfriend popped over for a few hours yesterday and hasn't been able to get home.

You say this like it's a bad thing :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Dónal wrote: »
    Not that I can talk for everyone you saw, but mountain bike tyres & low pressure give decent grip. Plus some people like me have ice-tyres which give excellent grip :).
    Yeah the commute home yday was absolutely glorious - fresh virgin powder most of the way, except where the cars had ruined it. Best fun commuting ever. Only way to get around in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,601 ✭✭✭Speak Now

channaigh wrote: »
    when will it get to kilkenny will i have to go to work tomorrow And thursday. anyone want to take a guess at when it will arrive pleaseeeeeeeeee

Honestly Channaigh it most likely wont.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

jolly wrote: »
    The Wales feature is coming right at Dublin - see raintoday forecast for 1555 - subject to the prevailing wind !

screenshot20101221at131.png

HAH. I can beat that.

Check out the sky over Limerick!

30hvgj6.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 15,409 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

So heavy now I cannot see the O2 or the Dublin eye from accross the liffey, !!!!!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 20 squigo

gbee wrote: »
    After 4pm today! ?

:)

Was this on RTE weather just now? or is it your own opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭steveLFC24

Ok, so I was bored. put a measuring jug out this morning, got approx 500 ml of snow. Melted it and ended up with 60 ml of water. so just under 10:1 ratio. Although maths was never my stroing point :D And measure of the snow in the middle of the back garden. Just under 6 inches.

6inchesofsnowinbackgard.jpg

500mlsofsnow.jpg

approx60mlsofwater.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

I hear new ross getting snow but its not showing on radar does that mean waterford has some hope of getting it??????????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭dacogawa

I said I wouldn't use it but it's

SNOWMAGEDDON

in D4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

Anyone know how bad does it have to get before trains are cancelled? I'm in limbo coz don't know if I'll have school for the next few days. There's only one possible train slot left with seats that I can book (assuming I'm off school) but I don't want to book if there's a good possibility it won't run/I'm in school!

My mate works in Irish Rail and said the main issues they have today are the points on the junctions that switch between lines, they get blocked with snow and do not work, then have to be manually cleared, then also train drivers taking longer to get to work, causing trains to get delayed...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

raintoday seems to be down! Us and wales must be crashing it out :)

Thanks Hellfireclub. Trying to decide is it worth driving over two days to the west instead. I know that a friend of mine went down last weekend on the traing and it took over 6 hours plus buses from various station to station. At least if I'm in my own car I can take my time and stop off along the way

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Mrs_H

Here we go again...more snow in Dublin's fair city :-) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

snowing in portarlington

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Taxedalot

cranks wrote: »
    For those of you debating whether to leave work - do it now; err on the side of caution; so what if you turn out to be wrong. Last evening in Dublin was awful. For me it was 3 hours for the approx. 1 1/2 miles from tunnel to Sandymount; for others worse. Sky looking ominous at moment.

6 hours 20 minutes - North Wall Quay to Rathfarnham!!

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭jrd

jo06555 wrote: »
    How about waterford will we see some snow???????

Swop you some snow for some blaas here ! :D:D:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Anyone an answer on trains? And raintoday seems to be down! Us and wales must be crashing it out :)

Trains should be able to keep going despite the snow. The biggest difficulty with the trains is the signal points failing due to snow lying on the ground. That requires staff to shift the snow from the points to allow them operate.

That will lead to delays, but I doubt many if any cancellations will occur. You could be talking delays of up to an hour though.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭MGMTea

dacogawa wrote: »
    I said I wouldn't use it but it's

SNOWMAGEDDON

in D4

Cant wait for it up here on the north of the liffey :D

edit - ITS BEGUN :D *gotta calm down ;)*

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Holy moly, a 40 min break in the snow in Dublin City Centre and it's bucketing again now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Total whiteout now in Goatstown. Total madness out on the main road. Cars are all over the shop. Bus stuck on the junction going towards Sandyford with some fools actually trying to push it.. A Bus..:pac: My advice to anyone thinking of heading up that way home from work would be to settle in for the night in the office.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,409 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

The truely heavy stuff will hit the city center soon, its hammering down here in D4

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭dubal

Heaviest snow to date now falling in Rathfarnham

Dubal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

From now I'm going to be having a good auld moan about our situation here in the West. Screw this country!! Lovely blue skies in Galway City now, too cold to try and attempt an igloo, even if i did try the snow is too powdery. I'm gonna say it, I'm gonna flippin say it: I WISH I LIVED IN DUBLIN!!!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Thanks Sierra. I'm just concerned that if we end up getting complete dumps (radar coming in from wales) that the line banks (I'm not sure if there's a technical term) could get blocked simply by piled snow. Argh. I hate uncertainty. Ideally I'd just get on the road now and not sit around. I'd prefer to be in school, at least then I'm not stressing about travelling.

Having said that I do love snow....

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭candy19

Snowing again in Dublin 8, starting to get heavy as well! :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Supercell wrote: »
    The truely heavy stuff will hit the city center soon, its hammering down here in D4

It sure is, visibility is pretty terrible! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭paulhac

cranks wrote: »
    Here we go.
    I think the baby jesus could come down in this one
    LOL Post of the day:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

wow. just wow.

Heaviest fall of this even t so far in Dublin 2 right now.

Incredible stuff :D

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 140 ✭✭nizo888

crisco10 wrote: »
    My girlfriend popped over for a few hours yesterday and hasn't been able to get home. I live in Stillorgan, she in Killiney!! Some serious snow....

Jaysus, sorry for your trouble mate.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement