Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National: Severe Cold/ Snow Discussion (Thanks to all!)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Good bit of hail here on and off.

Really piling up.

Have been getting moderate/heavy graupel in dalkey too for the best part of the last hour with outbreaks of light snow in between. What are your thoughts on the Welsh system as in where is it likely to hit?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

This is a truly once in a lifetime event, even the forecast tonight..

Lowest temperatures between -6c and -14c..

This is Ireland! Madness!
    How will it compare to 1982 when it's finished?

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭chris2007

it looks like that wales batch is about to hit dublin

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,510 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Is that ground or air temperature you're talking about? Are you talking about Dublin or the whole country?

Whole country. Id say Dublin will hit between -7 and -10

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Latest Met Eireann forecast for today : "Heavy and prolonged snow showers over west and south Munster and many parts of Leinster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭premiercad

lead edge of the next Welsh) system has done it's handbrake turn and is intensifying

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭TFK

I don't think I have ever seen snow as heavy as this :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭steveLFC24

Noopti wrote: »
    This. Is. Sparta!

thisisspartacautionconeo.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭token56

chris2007 wrote: »
    it looks like that wales batch is about to hit dublin

it looks like its going to turn towards Dublin alright, can any confirm is thats whats going to happen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 GetThatDownYa

jaffa20 wrote: »
    Global warming me arse. My arse is frozen!:eek:

Love how this comment keeps getting repeated by the uninformed

Here's a well referenced piece on the possible (non-ideological and politically neutral science best serves society when it allows room for uncertainty) links of the current weather to that issue

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 GetThatDownYa

Love how this comment keeps getting repeated by the uninformed

Here's a well referenced piece on the possible (non-ideological and politically neutral science best serves society when it allows room for uncertainty) links of the current weather to that issue
    oops here's the link: http://www.monbiot.com/archives/2010/12/20/cold-burn/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,284 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Latest Met Eireann forecast for today : "Heavy and prolonged snow showers over west and south Munster and many parts of Leinster.

Can someone please explain south munster? Would this mean Cork City! Cork City is like NOWHERE geographically!! lol:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

batch off anglesey appears to be breaking up on 15 00 radar update. Do not worry, organized precipitation/shower activity will be continuous throughout the afternoon/evening and will dump more inches

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Steopo

Had stopped snowing here for the past half hour but just started again and the clouds coming in look very ominous. Judging by the way that Welsh band of percip is moving we could be in very long evening although latest radar shows it breaking up a little which might be just a blip. Any Nth County Dublin folk still in town - I'd hit the road fairly lively

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

In Palmerstown have never seen snow this heavy

Neither have I. And I barely remember the big one back in '82!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Never seen snow like this, been snowing non-stop since about 12.30 and theres close to 5 inches now. More than the whole of the last snow event since last night!! Judging by raintoday there is another massive streamer heading for us from England.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

On a serious note, this most recent downfall around D12/D10/D20 is massive, you can't make out the road from the footpath, advice is avoid driving at all costs...

Have to hit the road and drive about 2kms! Im on a rescue mission. Wish me luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

leahyl wrote: »
    Can someone please explain south munster? Would this mean Cork City! Cork City is like NOWHERE geographically!! lol:D

we're in the middle, bah and there appears the shield is in operation again, have friends in west cork texting me

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

leahyl wrote: »

There are reports of snow on the west of Macroom, but the cloud/snow line is slow to move to the east at the moment, but if there is more wind should start pushing in to the city by around 18:00

• Advertisement

antodeco wrote: »
    Have to hit the road and drive about 2kms! Im on a rescue mission. Wish me luck!

A rescue mission~?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Hmm. Looking at the raintoday radar it looks like the wales blob is already arc-ing and feeding into a stream bearing down on north dublin. Interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,284 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Spindle wrote: »
    There are reports of snow on the west of Macroom, but the cloud/snow line is slow to move to the east at the moment, but if there is more wind should start pushing in to the city by around 18:00

And if not then NO?! Oh god i hate where we are situated!!!:mad:

A rescue mission~?

Well not literally.... People stranded and have to pick them up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Again i would advice anyone to stay put and don't get into the car. Imo your better off hunkering down at work than risk getting caught out for hours in this one. As for people going out shopping in the car wtf.

-4 now in Goatstown and it's been snowing for about the last five to six hours non stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Almost whiteout here, hail and flakes. Bucketing down.

Amazing, fast getting snowed in.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭diarmuid79

Never seen snow like this, been snowing non-stop since about 12.30 and theres close to 5 inches now. More than the whole of the last snow event since last night!! Judging by raintoday there is another massive streamer heading for us from England.

You should say were you are otherwise your only waisting your time leaving posts :P

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Caitriona

patneve2 wrote: »
    batch off anglesey appears to be breaking up on 15 00 radar update. Do not worry, organized precipitation/shower activity will be continuous throughout the afternoon/evening and will dump more inches

That one was heading towards Louth though and we've had very litte. No fair! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ffarrell7

Neither have I. And I barely remember the big one back in '82!!!

Ask anyone from Blanch and Castleknock and they will tell you that the last snowfall in November was very heavy and the one in December/January 2009/10 and the one in 2009. And I am not joking. I will try and insert a few pictures of those events later with dates on them.:D:D:D

• Advertisement

On a serious note, this most recent downfall around D12/D10/D20 is massive, you can't make out the road from the footpath, advice is avoid driving at all costs...

Am staying indoors. Haven't finished my Xmas shopping yet, and judging by what's falling outside, I think some of my family members will have to make do with cash!?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement