Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National: Severe Cold/ Snow Discussion (Thanks to all!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ffarrell7

Calibos wrote: »
    Right thats it. I already vowed never to give the Isle of Man any more of my tourist Euros after the early Dec event. Hollyhead/Angelsey, thats you scratched off my tourist destination list too!! :D

See all the raintoday radar images posted. Whats the common thread?? You can still read the Bray and Greystones town labels on the Maps :(

Smashing it down here in Dublin 15!!!! Temperature - 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭decies

20 mins of snow news so far on tv3.Hello from waterford city tv3 not one flake of snow here.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

dillo2k10 wrote: »
    I think its raining now in Palmerstown

Am in Palmerstown too but I dont think it's raining here?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

darkman2 wrote: »
    What is falling with you? Deffo rain allbeit light and shortlived - it's stopped now.

Do you know what, think you are right!

What a disaster, should of went out and enjoyed it more!

Howth weather station has temp rocketed in last while, up to 0.8c/0.3c!!

We need the wind to die down and quick!

I contemplated this scenario earlier!

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Heavy sleet/rain/snow mix in Lusk...

• Advertisement

ffarrell7 wrote: »
    Smashing it down here in Dublin 15!!!! Temperature - 1.

Send that up over the M50 to Palmerstown :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

Trains are running 20 mins late or so on the maynooth line into the city, just on one now, he's fairly flooring it though making up for lost time.....all this for a few pints-hope I make it home later!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

OK can anyone answer this , from the radar images it looks like big clouds turning inland , is their a chance these could head south past killkenny and hopefully then waterford?????????????? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ffarrell7

ciaranm wrote: »
    rain?

really?

Doubt it--just very small graupel..not rain

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

I had a feeling this would happen once I saw the wind pick up. Temperature always rises with the wind here. Feels alot milder outside now aswell. Hopefully just very temporary.

• Advertisement

Eerie calm here............not a breath of wind. Am looking at the trees and they're not moving at all.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,509 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Dublin should get a second bash within the hour

screenshot20101221at175.png

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭premiercad

agreed tiny little pellets in D3 not even denting the snow when falling

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭del88

snowing in baldoyle....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

Supercell wrote: »
    Its possible a streamer may make it but I dont see anything significant in the next 24 hours.

Cheers. I asked earlier on but didn't get an answer, what is it exactly that makes the clouds break up when they come near Carlow/Kilkenny/Tipp?

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭chris2007

Stopped completely here in coolock

• Registered Users Posts: 15,409 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Lots of small gruapel here now in D4, might look like rain in the street lights but if you look carefully you'll see it bouncing off the top of them!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,509 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

chris2007 wrote: »
    Stopped completely here in coolock

somebody probably stole it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭snowbabe

calibos,some of the later radars I can't read Greystones or Bray.It's on raintoday predictive,due to us around 7ish.It's posted just a couple pages back.Don't despair yet;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

I'd be inclined to agree. We got bouts of very fine grains on the Sunday night and for a while I was convinced it was rain mixed in. My hair on my head and skin on my face felt wet real quick. Think it was just that the grains were so small they were melting on contact with my body instantly.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

And back to light snow again, rain and sleet have fecked off back to where they belong, where ever that is...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

darkman2 wrote: »
    I had a feeling this would happen once I saw the wind pick up. Temperature always rises with the wind here. Feels alot milder outside now aswell. Hopefully just very temporary.

Would I be correct in saying that there would just be rain/wintery mix on the direct coast ?

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭chris2007

antodeco wrote: »
    somebody probably stole it :pac:

LoL i spoke too soon it has started again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭keithzer

Snow coming down in Drogheda not much yet tiny flakes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

Yeah melts superfast on windows and the hand.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Still snowing here in Swords , BUT the Temp is up to -0.5 . at this rate it could turn to rain :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

antodeco wrote: »
    Dublin should get a second bash within the hour

screenshot20101221at175.png

....and Bray wont for the rest of the night. Damn you Pwilllheli with all your consonants!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

No rain just snow

Newcastle Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 15,409 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Davaeo09 wrote: »
    Cheers. I asked earlier on but didn't get an answer, what is it exactly that makes the clouds break up when they come near Carlow/Kilkenny/Tipp?

In a nutshell the lack of wind. They are very slow moveing so just dump the snow in the areas they hit and then fizze out before they can move much inland. That why Kilkenny doesn't do so well usually in setups like the current one.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭cranks

MT's Update
    Snow in southwest seems likely to miss Cork and gradually pull out to sea from current areas affected.

Snow in east and southeast is set to continue and move slowly further inland to cover parts of inland southeast and even the southeast coast as far as Waterford and possibly Dunvargan. Amounts further west may be nowhere near as great as coastal Dublin and Wicklow but could start to accumulate several cms. Meath is likely to see some of this snowfall at least in the eastern half of the county, possibly parts of Louth eventually too.

This eastern snow is more than just a streamer event, I've analyzed it as an inverted trough leading to a meso-scale low east of Wicklow that is steady-state and being continually fed from the southeast as very cold air streams out of the Welsh highlands mainly at levels just above the surface. This is creating a large snow shield (not the kind that prevents snow, the kind that is made of snow) :D with sea-effect enhancement (essentially streamers on steroids). Total amounts could be double whatever you've had so far as we seem to be nearing the half-way point of the event. :eek:

Amounts will be highly variable place to place in this situation but it is quite possible for a further 20-40 cms to fall on top of what's already down in some places. Amounts for areas not yet covered at all might increase gradually to the 5-15 cms range. Forecast update will reflect all this.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement