Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National: Severe Cold/ Snow Discussion (Thanks to all!)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 L.perenne

Is anyone in Wexford seeing snow yet?

What are our chances of more? I'm down near Duncannon/Hook Head. Will any snow clouds reach this far?

I dont really know how to read charts etc. so need someone to spell it out for me please.

hanks

It's not snowing in Wexford town, the 3 hour Met forecast doesn't predict snow here by 8pm.

http://met.ie/forecasts/3hour.asp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭danni2

Do any of you think the precip over in the east can make it to the midlands? judging by the latest radar it looks possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,409 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Nice flakey snow again instead of the graupel we've been having the last couple of hours in D4

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Heyes wrote: »
    I was thinking of going to dundrum....not a good idea perhaps ?

Anyone know what the traffic is like around there

You're mad! :eek:
    It's crazy the month before xmas anyway, never mind when there's 6 inches of snow down, which there is.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,622 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Quick question about the water being turned off in Dublin.

If the water is off can you still have the heating on? or will this effect the boiler? as in BLOW up like my dad thinks so,house is freezing cause he is "saving water incase"?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

Jesus Christ some of the snow due in over the next 12 hours is scary for the east coast! :eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭LID

Heyes wrote: »
    I was thinking of going to dundrum....not a good idea perhaps ?

Anyone know what the traffic is like around there

Apparently Dundrum is to be avoided at all costs....people ended up leaving their cars in the carpark last night as they couldn't get out...reckon some roads will close around there again tonight!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,509 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

darkman2 wrote: »
    Should do. It's gone messy here - wet graupel and bits of snow thrown in.

Visibility dropped considerably in Dublin 12. Looks like fog!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

started snowing again,fingers crossed it stays that way&doesnt turn sleety/rain

• Registered Users Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

1741 AA Roadwatch says Knockmaroon Hill in Dublin is impassable.

A poster was earlier saying he was going home by Knockmaroon, hopefully you see this!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭kwik

Gintonious wrote: »

If the water is off can you still have the heating on? or will this effect the boiler? as in BLOW up like my dad thinks so,house is freezing cause he is "saving water incase"?

Thanks
    u can turn on if ur sure u have no leaks in the system

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Back to just heavy snow now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Why was that snowplough in Mayo pushing the snow from the middle of the road back out onto the road!? :confused:

bad snow in newbridge at the moment. Clearing the driveway earlier was pointless. Glad I left work early because it looks like i would have had a loooooong commute home. January's pay packet is going to be very light because of this snow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Are all Wexford people as mad as the one on the news!? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭LID

Where are you Darkman...can't see it in your profile??!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Theres a crazy woman on the news now.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭linguist

Evening all, happy to confirm back to real snow here in Donabate after briefly flirting with the rainy mix reported by others.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,409 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Nice decent snow now in D4, let it snow let it snow let it snow :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 46 msnd

Rougies wrote: »
    Are all Wexford people that mad!? :D

Yes yes we are :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Jesus Christ some of the snow due in over the next 12 hours is scary for the east coast! :eek::eek::eek:

Linky?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,622 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

kwik wrote: »

Thanks

u can turn on if ur sure u have no leaks in the system

Yeah no leaks at all, all is well on that front,its taking its time to get warm now though, probably because its been off all day.

It shouldn't effect the boiler then??

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I have just ran through the models, can't see us getting to anything above say 1.5c at max tonight so should be at worse graupel and very very limited thaw, hopefully!

That shower hasn't hit here yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,956 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

gbee wrote: »
    antodeco wrote: »
    For those in Cork, it looks like its on its way. Should be around 6pm when it hits. QUOTE]

it's made a huge shift south ;(
    missing cork city and the east of the county.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

The way the snow is falling i think MT is on the money when he talks of the same falling tonight as is on the ground now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

Starla_o0 wrote: »
    GOOD snow in newbridge at the moment. Clearing the driveway earlier was pointless. Glad I left work early because it looks like i would have had a loooooong commute home. January's pay packet is going to be very light because of this snow

Fixed your post :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭200motels

Where is all the snow? Are we going to get any?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Thanks

Wait for further confirmation but Central heating is a sealed system. Sure you have to open a valve to top up the water in the system on occasion when the pressure in the system gets too low. Even if this is an automatic valve and the boiler auto tops up, its something that happens once every few weeks or even months if there is no leak in the system.

Check the pressure gauge near/on your boiler. Unless its readin virtually zero PSI your heating system is no where near neading a topup and thus it doesn't matter a damn if the water mains are cutoff for a time.

BTW. I am not a plumber and await further confirmation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

I bought a big tin of Quality Street a few days back. Its that or pasta. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭kwik

Yeah no leaks at all, all is well on that front,its taking its time to get warm now though, probably because its been off all day.

It shouldn't effect the boiler then??
    no wont if theres no leaks as i said icon7.gif

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement