Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National: Severe Cold/ Snow Discussion (Thanks to all!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭rebel10

SantryRed wrote: »
    Seriously, people from Cork especially would want to fcuking get over themselves. Dublin is the biggest urban area in the country. A QUARTER of the whole population of this country lives here. Dublin is the most important place in Ireland whether you fcuking like it or not. Yes, if there is huge disruption to services in Dublin due to snow, well then they will talk about it more. As DUBLIN IS IMPORTANT. Fcuksake.
    Look, I don't think its a case of "people from Cork especially would want to fcuking get over themselves". I think the point the people complaining are trying to make is, that as a national broadcaster, they made a very poor attempt to cover the weather situation outside of the capital. Sure, you got snow in Leinster, but many parts of the west are blanketed today. A few donkeys were shown in Killarney and people strolling on a beach, and then of course back to Dublin.:rolleyes:
    I know of many elderly people living in our area, that require news about our area and the conditions, so that they may be able to venture out for food and fuel. It isin't good enough for them to focus on Dublin alone when the majority of the population reside outside Dublin.

You can't claim people have chips on their shoulders, and you can't claim that they are attacking the Dubs. They are pointing out that RTE are failing to provide a service to people who are also in difficult circumstances. Now, please stop whinging about us Corkonians and enjoy the snow while you have it.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Guys and gals,

Can the experts here advise on whether they think Dublin Airport will reopen for business tomorrow or are they likely to get dumped on by that band coming across Wales?

My dad has been travelling home from Riyadh since Sunday and is currently in Manchester trying to get back here. Is he better off heading to Holyhead tomorrow?

Either contact the airport/airline or watch the news for any updates.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

thaw :rolleyes:. Not a hope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

CARLOW -4.7c

Snow for about an hour at 5pm

Very small accumulation on the ground approx. 1cm (female) or 10cm (male)

:D

I'm freezing..

Water pipes frozen..

No heating..

No water..

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

rebel10 wrote: »
    Look, I don't think its a case of "people from Cork especially would want to fcuking get over themselves". I think the point the people complaining are trying to make is, that as a national broadcaster, they made a very poor attempt to cover the weather situation outside of the capital. Sure, you got snow in Leinster, but many parts of the west are blanketed today. A few donkeys were shown in Killarney and people strolling on a beach, and then of course back to Dublin.:rolleyes:
    I know of many elderly people living in our area, that require news about our area and the conditions, so that they may be able to venture out for food and fuel. It isin't good enough for them to focus on Dublin alone when the majority of the population reside outside Dublin.

You can't claim people have chips on their shoulders, and you can't claim that they are attacking the Dubs. They are pointing out that RTE are failing to provide a service to people who are also in difficult circumstances. Now, please stop whinging about us Corkonians and enjoy the snow while you have it.:)

Believe you me. Dublin is worse!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

Ah crap.

yeah, was supposed to do the civil wedding application friday, but that looks doubtful with the religious (big) bit on sunday.

however im in trouble at this point i think. i was banking on the fact the snow they had announced at the weekend for monday and tuesday was only going to be as much as what we had yesterday, but during work today, that sinking feeling has come in and not left.

on the other side of the world, the bride is nearly in tears though i guess we can storm this one out. no pun intended

and my family were complaining of the high 30s temperature. f that, 30! STOP bitching, people cant walk straight here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Welsh Wizard

Guys and gals,

Can the experts here advise on whether they think Dublin Airport will reopen for business tomorrow or are they likely to get dumped on by that band coming across Wales?

My dad has been travelling home from Riyadh since Sunday and is currently in Manchester trying to get back here. Is he better off heading to Holyhead tomorrow?

Best off, booking the train and boat to be safe and on time...

Think stena line do a sail and rail deal, but be quick as its getting full as you could imagine

Hope this helps..

P.S. Dublin airport will be open for business tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭googsy

Spipov wrote: »
    jeez, i hope to god this stays that way or gets better. im getting married sunday and supposed to fly via paris on thursday.

im so worried it aint funny. its not looking good at the minute. tomorrow im ringing air france and begging, begging like ive never begged before.

iiiii.

that sucks ! I hope you get out man

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Think stena line do a sail and rail deal, but be quick as its getting full as you could imagine

Hope this helps..

Yeah but it could close just as quick!?

Oh, and it has started snowing again in Dublin 20

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭rebel10

NickDrake wrote: »
    Believe you me. Dublin is worse!!
    Not suggesting it isin't, but you have the infastructure to enable people to get on with things without having to seriously risk their lives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭havana

Hope this helps..

No sail rail available from London as far asvi know but hopefully it us from other cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Raining and thawing here. Quite windy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

snow/sleet here now
    not much wind WC

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Fnutkrumpler

Hm, it's risen to 1.4 in Dublin city center apparently. If it doesn't cool down,then all that precipitation over the Irish sea could fall as rain overnight, potentially ruining a lot of today's snow.

Weather experts, what are the odds it will cool down as night goes on? Also, could this temperature rise be indicative of a general thaw, or is it just an isolated occurrence?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

SeaFields wrote: »
    The River Lee in cork had thin sheets of ice floating downstream today and down the estuary there are bigger sheets of ice forming in still water. Unreal! :eek:
    a video of the river Caha in West Cork, it's normally pretty fast flowing. amazing when you think I overwintered tropical banana plants in my garden, this year alas I'll have lots of dead plants.

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQ6oEHuYj64

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭TFK

Heavy snow here again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

+2 degrees here and raining.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Sounds like there's graupal mixed in now here.

Wonder if any temperature changes are just a temporary fluctuation. Normally when temps rise on the coast it remains cold here, but dunno if we're far enough inland tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

It would appear there is a thaw on outside, quite steady, some rain has been falling also.

I notice temperatures are now at 1.0c/ 0.7c

Not condusive to snowfall.

Disappointing, but it is very much the case when things are going too good, unexpected things like marginality come into the mix.

To think at 12am it -5c and snowing!

Thank god ! If it freezes tonight, nothing will be moving in south Dublin without snow chains.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

What causes streamers..?

Some say they are born like that...oh Im sorry you said streamers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

I've a drift almost up to the neck of a calor gas bottle!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

TFK wrote: »
    Heavy snow here again

yeah whopper flakes too:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

Temp: -7.4c
    Dew-point: -9.2c
    Anvils now overhead.. but it might be a bit marginal to what comes out of it going buy the readings above:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Upto 1.3c and dripping like mad outside now, all trees could lose their coverage very soon.

The critical point will be 2.5c, above that and slush.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭jrd

The 2200 forecast from ME and below it, the 2225 forecast from raintoday

ME showing Dundalk to Enniscorthy getting some precipitation at 2200
    while the next clouds from Wales have slowed right down on raintoday

screenshot20101221at194.png

screenshot20101221at194.png

+1c in Malahide (wind NE) now compared to -12c in Ballyhaise and -10c in Shannonbridge

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭dillo2k10

As far as I know Irish ferrys are sold out and stenna line only have a few left

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭CrackisWhack

Not suggesting it isin't, but you have the infastructure to enable people to get on with things without having to seriously risk their lives.

Eh........You been in Dublin before??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

I'd agree there. It's always going to be like that in small countries with one large city.

Dublin in my opinion lacks much of a community spirit, which I would rather have than the LUAS or DART.

Seen some cars get pelted with so many snowballs that they have dents in the side. 20-40 kids running along opening car doors and hurling just as many snowballs in.

What good is infastructure to you then?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

It's actually snowing here. Though it is wet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Raining and thawing here. Quite windy.

Falling as snow still a few Km further inland at Swords.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement