Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National: Severe Cold/ Snow Discussion (Thanks to all!)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 237 ✭✭andre2010

cant believe its raining in north dublin, its snowing heavily here in citywest, hopefully the temp drops again for you. its -1 here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Think we're bordering on marginal where I am. Looks like rain and snow mixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭glimmerman123

Is there any way to watch that online?
    Try tv3.ie there might be a link.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭rebel10

Eh........You been in Dublin before??
    Yup, lived in Dublin for 4 years. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭John400

Been talking to my sister, she's stuck in Pamerstown trying to get onto the M50 for the past three hours (more or less in the same spot) in traffic.

After last night if we see her by midnight we'll be doing well!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Hail storm in Malahide with bit of snow in the mix

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

My father is still stuck in traffic in Chapelizod!!!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭del88

Nabber wrote: »
    I'd agree there. It's always going to be like that in small countries with one large city.

Dublin in my opinion lacks much of a community spirit, which I would rather have than the LUAS or DART.

Seen some cars get pelted with so many snowballs that they have dents in the side. 20-40 kids running along opening car doors and hurling just as many snowballs in.

What good is infastructure to you then?

Haven't seen that myself...but did get a push when stuck from some teenagers...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

-2 in D14 and stopped snowing for the first time in hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

Hasn't stopped snowing in North Kildare since this afternoon- still at it...about 10- 12 inches have accumulated.....much greater volume than a few weeks ago...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭pokerface_me

rebel10 wrote: »
    Look, I don't think its a case of "people from Cork especially would want to fcuking get over themselves". I think the point the people complaining are trying to make is, that as a national broadcaster, they made a very poor attempt to cover the weather situation outside of the capital. Sure, you got snow in Leinster, but many parts of the west are blanketed today. A few donkeys were shown in Killarney and people strolling on a beach, and then of course back to Dublin.:rolleyes:
    I know of many elderly people living in our area, that require news about our area and the conditions, so that they may be able to venture out for food and fuel. It isin't good enough for them to focus on Dublin alone when the majority of the population reside outside Dublin.

You can't claim people have chips on their shoulders, and you can't claim that they are attacking the Dubs. They are pointing out that RTE are failing to provide a service to people who are also in difficult circumstances. Now, please stop whinging about us Corkonians and enjoy the snow while you have it.:)

Although i do agree RTE should give the countryside more coverage, Dublin is the hub to this country. People spending 5 hours to travel 10 miles, people sleeping in shopping centres last night, jack knifed lorries all over the place........this is real news with real disruption.............the fact the farmer down the lane can't feed the sheep down the road or the bus in Cork can't make bingo, although these matter to people involved its not worthy of news coverage

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ffarrell7

andre2010 wrote: »
    cant believe its raining in north dublin, its snowing heavily here in citywest, hopefully the temp drops again for you. its -1 here

raining a bit just on the coast but not elsewhere in Dublin. Still snowing here in Castleknock, Dub 15 but light now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

-10.2 in Sligo now. Going to be another cold cold night

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Brenireland

Although i do agree RTE should give the countryside more coverage, Dublin is the hub to this country. People spending 5 hours to travel 10 miles, people sleeping in shopping centres last night, jack knifed lorries all over the place........this is real news with real disruption.............the fact the farmer down the lane can't feed the sheep down the road or the bus in Cork can't make bingo, although these matter to people involved its not worthy of news coverage

Love it!haha,this is why we in the Midlands love our Dublin neighbours!,sad thing is the farmers who work the fields help produce the spuds/& the meat so that the lovely dubbys can have their chip and 1/4 pounders...be a minature famine in Dublin if this cold spell reach's us!haha

• Registered Users Posts: 15,408 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Rain here in D4, not graupel.
    Probably still all snow inland though this is coastal muck (usual muck)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭rebel10

Nabber wrote: »
    I'd agree there. It's always going to be like that in small countries with one large city.

Dublin in my opinion lacks much of a community spirit, which I would rather have than the LUAS or DART.

Seen some cars get pelted with so many snowballs that they have dents in the side. 20-40 kids running along opening car doors and hurling just as many snowballs in.

What good is infastructure to you then?
    Pity, with such a small country you would imagine it would be easier for a national broadcaster to report nationally.
    As much as community spirit is alive outside of the capital, you can't rely on it. Many vulnerable people have been forgotten about during this cold spell. Many roads down here are impassable since Friday evening. What good is community spirit to someone who has been forgotten? I'm sure you can say the same for some to a degree in Dublin, but really i feel that RTE have shown time and time again that their interest is in the capital and screw the rest of us.:(

Sorry for the rant, but really hate the thought of people thinking we have chips on our shoulders because we would like to be informed about our areas, not about donkeys in Killarney.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

John400 wrote: »
    Been talking to my sister, she's stuck in Pamerstown trying to get onto the M50 for the past three hours (more or less in the same spot) in traffic.

After last night if we see her by midnight we'll be doing well!
    My father is still stuck in traffic in Chapelizod!!!! :eek:

Looking at the traffic cameras it looks WAY lighter than last night! Seemed like a lot of business' closed up around lunch time today. There was more traffic on the roads at 11pm last night than there is now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭dillo2k10

What shopping centre were people sleeping in??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

Dublin Airport closed until at least 8AM tomorrow morning...

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/dublin-airport-closed-until-8am-tomorrow-486539.html

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

My mate left on a Dublin - Limerick Bus from Busaras two and a half hours ago and he is only in Palmerstown now! :eek::eek::eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭LID

Please can we stop the county bashing and stick to the topic here??!! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

For those of you stuck at home with nothing to do coz ure snowed in.....eh....Top Gear has just started on BBC2...:p

Still snowing in North Kildare....

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭annieee

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Densefog2008

No offence mate but I'm not from either Cork or Dublin and I would much rather hear about the farmers not being able to feed the sheep than hearing about a jack knifed lorry and some people asleep in a shopping centre!! Like how is that any more interesting.......

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭CrackisWhack

Love it!haha,this is why we in the Midlands love our Dublin neighbours!,sad thing is the farmers who work the fields help produce the spuds/& the meat so that the lovely dubbys can have their chip and 1/4 pounders...be a minature famine in Dublin if this cold spell reach's us!haha xxx

Sorry we buy Brazillian beef in Lidl!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭John400

Snowing non-stop here in the Blanchardstown/Mulhuddart area.

Just had a look outside and the snow is begining to cover the bottom of my porch door..it's rising!...another while of this and i'll be snowed in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

I KNEW THE DUBLIN SNOW WAS ALL FAKED. IM WATCHING FAIR CITY AND THERE'S NOT A DROP. JEEZ....!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

1.5/1.0c

If this goes on for more than 3-4 hours, there will be a decent thaw off trees/cars and walls. And that is at 1.5c, we don't know how high it could go! Maybe 3.0c?

Wind set to die down at 3am, hopefully will sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ffarrell7

Just in case people think I am anti-Cork, I am not. In fact this craic is starting to bore me now. However nearly half of the population is in the Greater Dublin area and the snowfall is massive and I mean massive. French mate of mine just home from London and said what is in Heathrow is nothing to what is in Ballycoolin (west Dublin where he works) and Firhouse, near tallaght, where he lives and London got a good whack as well. When big cities are brought to ther knees expect a lot of coverage because so many people are affected. Once again the snow depth is awesome in some parts of Dublin and Wicklow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Light Snow in Trim about 2hrs ago, now started in Athboy (11km away). Moving east slowly it would seem..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement