Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National: Severe Cold/ Snow Discussion (Thanks to all!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭dillo2k10

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    Hold on, wexford was literally a total standstill today, nobody moving, i had to walk for an hour to get out of town for a lift. 10 miles in 5 hours, atleast its moving at all up there! Didnt see a special new report about wexford today tho!;)

But its not all moving up here, if it was moving people would have been able to move out of the shopping center and not have to sleep there.

And I wasnt able to move anywhere today, if I was going anywhere I would have to walk.

10 miles in 5 hours how about 0 miles in 5 hours as people were stuck in there cars on the m50

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

No thaw on here yet. D14

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Juppie

Matt Simis wrote: »
    Light Snow in Trim about 2hrs ago, now started in Athboy (11km away). Moving east slowly it would seem..

Still snowing in Trim. Heavy on and off.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

There is no thaw where I am either . . . and I am in D4, less than 1/4 mile from the coast . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭pokerface_me

dillo2k10 wrote: »
    What shopping centre were people sleeping in??

Dundrum shopping centre, front page of Evening hearld and page 3 and 4. Couple with baby slept in childrens changing rooms, management supplied sleeping bags and food, all of A-WEAR staff slept in store and lots more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

-7 here at the moment, still dropping.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Quite heavy here again now, and reasonably sure it's just snow once more. Not hearing any graupal, seeing lots of flakes. Seems to be coming and going in bursts at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Massive thaw in Firhouse, snow nearly all gone.

Hang on - I was dreaming - the place is feckin covered in snow!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Yet more snow in D 20 and heavy too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

Just home to Lucan and fook me! That's a lot of snow. Got plenty of snow in work, but the sky was obviously busy here too!

• Advertisement

I think its finally going to stop here. I wonder will it thaw a bit? I doubt it myself.Mind you MT said possibly more snow.

On a separate note, japan getting rocked with 7.4 earthqaukes and lots of massive aftershocks. Big swarm in fact.

http://hisz.rsoe.hu/alertmap/index2.php

Just home to Lucan and fook me! That's a lot of snow. Got plenty of snow in work, but the sky was obviously busy here too!

How long did it take you to get home, and where were you travelling from?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

ste wrote: »
    I just hope everyone spares a thought for all those who might be adversely affected by this inclement weather, particularly the elderly.

There's an old dear who lives up the road from me. She's a charming lady - but she has no family and all her friends are dead.

I'll look in on her tonight and make sure she's warm and fed.

She does have one friend....Ste!!!!

rebel10 wrote: »
    Think you were proven wrong there several times over, but anyway you seem to disagree.:rolleyes:
    Look, whatever about farmers, i am more concerned about people's welfare. I know there are people that have been stuck in their houses since Friday. Gas pipes frozen and many areas without water down here, would it have killed RTE to have spent 5 mins reporting on life threatening issues rather than a broken down truck? :confused:
    This isin't a tribal thing either, i realise the situation is bad in Dublin, but i also realise the situation is much worse in many other parts of the country, i.e. Donegal. Look, i will stop ranting, but i don't think its acceptable to accuse people of having issues because their county didn't get mentioned when the county is under snow too.

100% correct and totally agree, RTE will never change though. Hopefully anybody that is stuck is getting help, community spirit is fantastic at these times all over this land.
    Is there any fresh snowfall in Cork and is it badly affected?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

baraca wrote: »
    Thaw? What thaw? -5.9 here :P

-7.4c here, i like it dry, atleast its not ain. Maybe the thaw is the dubs punishment for some of them having inflated opinions of their fair city

• Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭Mech1

Mech1 wrote: »
    Hi all, we had a thread before where people with suitable transport / skills offered their services free of charge to people in need of help. Coming up to Christmas i'm sure lots of people are starting to panic about getting enough supplies in. Can a mod start this up again?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055791493

Ok I will start it myself, if anyone can help post in "I CAN HELP YOU" thread.
    Thanks.

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    -7.4c here, i like it dry, atleast its not ain. Maybe the thaw is the dubs punishment for some of them having inflated opinions of their fair city

Ouch!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Notice big craters beginning to dip in the general snow cover, gutters gushing with water, pillars snow shrinking dramatically and kirb edges becoming visible with the thaw.

Not fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭giggsirish

Temp on rise here and just the odd flurry here and there. Just starting to get another spell of the good stuff now. We missed out last night and earlier today. Catching up with a mere 3 -4 inches on the floor. How much more do I want? ... How long is a piece of string?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭dancingqueen

It has been bucketing down in Ashbourne for quite some time now this evening... the poster who is working here tomorrow might want to rethink!

They have stopped the buses to and from here now from 9pm tonight. I hope I can get to work tomorrow

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Spipov wrote: »
    yeah, was supposed to do the civil wedding application friday, but that looks doubtful with the religious (big) bit on sunday.

however im in trouble at this point i think. i was banking on the fact the snow they had announced at the weekend for monday and tuesday was only going to be as much as what we had yesterday, but during work today, that sinking feeling has come in and not left.

on the other side of the world, the bride is nearly in tears though i guess we can storm this one out. no pun intended

and my family were complaining of the high 30s temperature. f that, 30! STOP bitching, people cant walk straight here!

We missed our wedding in April over the ash cloud so I know how stressful it is waiting to see if the aiport opens. Really hopes it works out for you.

Sky keeps going all night here, satellite is snowed up :)

The other half is going nuts without his SKY PLus :)

Started snowing heavy again

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭steveLFC24

Is it just the immediate coast then? I'm about 8-9km from the coast and theres no thaw here, heavy graupel but absolutly no rain. Temperature is -0.2 and has been for the past hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Coming to a stop here but no sign of a thaw.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭rebel10

100% correct and totally agree, RTE will never change though. Hopefully anybody that is stuck is getting help, community spirit is fantastic at these times all over this land.
    Is there any fresh snowfall in Cork and is it badly affected?
    Yeah all of west Cork and Kerry have been badly hit. Dunmanway, Bantry, Killarney, Schull, Castletownbere etc. etc. have all been badly hit and road users advised to avoid travelling in these areas again.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭TFK

Jake1 wrote: »
    Sky keeps going all night here, satellite is snowed up :)

The other half is going nuts without his SKY PLus :)

Started snowing heavy again

We threw tennis balls at the dish and it seemed to work :)

I can watch Top Gear now!

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭steveLFC24

It has been bucketing down in Ashbourne for quite some time now this evening... the poster who is working here tomorrow might want to rethink!

They have stopped the buses to and from here now from 9pm tonight. I hope I can get to work tomorrow

Yes that was me! Do you think the 103 will be going in the morning? I really don't wanna drive.

ste wrote: »
    I just hope everyone spares a thought for all those who might be adversely affected by this inclement weather, particularly the elderly.

There's an old dear who lives up the road from me. She's a charming lady - but she has no family and all her friends are dead.

I'll look in on her tonight and make sure she's warm and fed.

Make sure you do ste, I brought a man from up the hill down to mine the last snowfall, get the feeling he might not of made it if i didn't pop in, i actually thought the house was abandoned. Few newspapers contacted me after they read it here. Tom is back in his house, lots of oil and food and plugging away, great man for someone nearly in his 90's. I gave him a bed that night and now he comes down in his tractor most days to see my family, brings duck eggs and all sorts from the fields(don't ask). His daughter rings all the time too, really nice genuine folk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,112 ✭✭✭Sparko

I'm hoping I can't!

• Advertisement

TFK wrote: »
    We threw tennis balls at the dish and it seemed to work :)

I can watch Top Gear now!

It did? hmm, luckily for me, we fresh outta tennis balls.. hehehe!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement