Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National: Severe Cold/ Snow Discussion (Thanks to all!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Can anyone tell me what the outlook is for Dublin Airport on Thursday morning? I have a flight from Birmingham to Dublin at 8am on Thursday which may well be my last chance to make it home for Christmas. Have been trying since Sunday but have had nothing but cancellations. Even the ferries are almost fully booked to Christmas Eve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭nanu nanu

Dotsie~tmp wrote: »
    Hurricane-katrinaRadarImage.jpg
    That's Cork in the middle right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

Would anyone have an idea of likelihood of making it to in-laws in NE England via ferry and Holyhead on Christmas Eve by car ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Well the airports shut until 8am anyways so I'd expect delays at least. Check with the airline before going to the airport. If its at 8 it could be cancelled

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭DrEvil

Can anyone tell me what the outlook is for Dublin Airport on Thursday morning. I have a flight for Birmingham to Dublin at 8am which may well be my last chance to make it home for Christmas. Have been trying since Sunday but have had nothing but cancellations. Even the ferries are almost fully booked to Christmas Eve.

Keep an eye on the DAA website for updates, http://www.dublinairport.com/gns/at-the-airport/latest-news.aspx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Brenireland

Looking at the weather this evening they were forecasting mild weather on St.Stephens day with temperatures to hit 7degrees!,could this be like the period last week where we had a big thaw for 3 days & went straight back into this cold front might this cold spell return or has the winter ran out of steam?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

nanu nanu wrote: »
    That's Cork in the middle right?

Yep, looks just like an @rsehole. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

LookingFor wrote: »
    Light snow. Not sure where it's coming from
    I'd be reasonably certain it's coming from the sky.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Seems to be some mix of hail and snow hitting Malahide on and off. Moving so fast that it's hard to tell, certainly doesn't seem to be rain. Seems to stop and start a lot.

Light snow again here. Sky all orangey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭goodies

Can anyone tell me what the outlook is for Dublin Airport on Thursday morning? I have a flight from Birmingham to Dublin at 8am on Thursday which may well be my last chance to make it home for Christmas. Have been trying since Sunday but have had nothing but cancellations. Even the ferries are almost fully booked to Christmas Eve.

I sincerely hope you get home...we pushed our sis to book the ferry just in case...I wonder should you do that as a back up plan? Maybe you could even try travelling tomorrow....they sent people home today in dublin and there must be lots waiting before you....hope you make it

japers, just got message from sons girlfriend, they are waiting on ferry at holyhead, there are a 1000 people booked on tonights ferry :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭jimmy.d

Batesy wrote: »
    Yep, looks just like an @rsehole. :D
    lol:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭steveLFC24

Looking at the weather this evening they were forecasting mild weather on St.Stephens day with temperatures to hit 7degrees!,could this be like the period last week where we had a big thaw for 3 days & went straight back into this cold front might this cold spell return or has the winter ran out of steam?:confused:

Winter run out of steam? Chill mate, its only december :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

doubt any winter has ever run out of steam BEFORE christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Fair play to public transport! Got to dundrum via dart and bus earlier during some of the heaviest snow, spent the day out there and just got the luas and bus back now without any problems at all. Everything ran and in good time too!
    Crazy amounts of snow out in dundrum but there's less here and a bit of a thaw setting in, 2.4C/-0.2C.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Brian010

Earthquake in Cumbria! What is going on?!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

kenmc wrote: »

I went outside and checked. Yep definitely the sky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Is it possible that thing over wales isn't going to make it over the sea? It seems to be fading at the same point in the sea every radar update

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Dotsie~tmp wrote: »
    Hurricane-katrinaRadarImage.jpg

I think you posted this pic of Sonic the Hedgehog in the wrong place.

Things you miss from the 90s thread that way >>>>> :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

I may be wrong but id say even 47 had a day or two with 7 degrees, we havent had one here in a month!

Light flurry here now.

steveLFC24 wrote: »
    Winter run out of steam? Chill mate, its only december :D

I know,even last year it lasted until march...but this year we have got two big hits while last year was more prolonged...I wonder do could this winter remain as harsh as it has been for say,another 4 weeks?...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭4Sheets

kenmc wrote: »

Just to flesh out that crazy theory I would add that it originated in a cloud in the sky..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭4Sheets

Is it possible that thing over wales isn't going to make it over the sea? It seems to be fading at the same point in the sea every radar update

Anything possible I guess..doesnt seem to be fading on this radar

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

As far as I can tell, an extended part of it should be just about at Malahide now. I think it is inching closer, compared to the radar an hour or two ago it is closer now I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Seems to be some mix of hail and snow hitting Malahide on and off. Moving so fast that it's hard to tell, certainly doesn't seem to be rain. Seems to stop and start a lot.
    things looking up?

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭steveLFC24

I know,even last year it lasted until march...but this year we have got two big hits while last year was more prolonged...I wonder do could this winter remain as harsh as it has been for say,another 4 weeks?...

I'd say its entirely possible, all be it with the odd mild spell here and there. And the word 'mild' is open to interpretation.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭CiaraBohs

LookingFor wrote: »
    As far as I can tell, an extended part of it should be just about at Malahide now. I think it is inching closer, compared to the radar an hour or two ago it is closer now I think.

seems about right

trogdor wrote: »
    Fair play to public transport! Got to dundrum via dart and bus earlier during some of the heaviest snow, spent the day out there and just got the luas and bus back now without any problems at all. Everything ran and in good time too!
    Crazy amounts of snow out in dundrum but there's less here and a bit of a thaw setting in, 2.4C/-0.2C.

yeah they really are doing their best out their!,imagine the british army offered to clear the runs in Heathrow and gathwick and the refused their help!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

This is wrecking my head watching Bray Dp rise and fall between -0.7 and +0.5 and watching the radar show precipitation dying out over the see off the est coast. Think I am going to head to bed. At least I'll have no problem getting up for work on time without hitting the snooze button too many times. Soon as I achieve conciousness, I'll undoubtably leap from my bed over to the window to see whether I am greated by a slushy thawed/rained on mess or another few inches of fresh snow.

BBC at 10pm had rain over the east coast at 8am tomorrow though. :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement