Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National: Severe Cold/ Snow Discussion (Thanks to all!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Weird, with morning kicking in, the temperature seems to actually be dropping, just gone to -8 in Dublin airport. Should it not get milder as the morning progresses and not vice versa?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Weird, with morning kicking in, the temperature seems to actually be dropping, just gone to -8 in Dublin airport. Should it not get milder as the morning progresses and not vice versa?

Very often the coldest temps are recorded just before dawn. It might remain above freezing all night and just as you are about to head off to work in the rain, it freezes over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭djhaxman

giggsirish wrote: »
    Temp dropping like a stone here?? Was -2.2 around 5am. Now its -11.3 and dropping.

Welcome to how it's been in Monaghan for the last 3 days or so. Except ye hogged all the snow ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭smokin ace

is there any more snow showers expected to day along the east and south east

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭irishdub14

Well that was a disappointing night for me anyway, more snow melted than actually fell during the night... :(

And theres nada in the Irish Sea. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Flyer1

Temp here in Waterford City -3.0c, Snow shield still in working order :mad:

More Live Data and Webcam @ www.waterfordcityweather.com

Fair world eyy :(

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭NoodleMc

Woke to lovely clear skys in D16. Maybe I will actually get my Christmas tree up today!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

I reckon that is the snow done for the year, we may see a few samll flurries tomorrow but nothing of significance

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

kennyb3 wrote: »
    I reckon that is the snow done for the year, we may see a few samll flurries tomorrow but nothing of significance

Is this based on sound meteorological determination or is it just a case of, 'ah sure what are the odds we'd get 3 snowfall periods an a few months'

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

In D3 and need to get to Celbridge later. Checked AA and roads seem quiet enough. Would I be stupid to attempted to drive out there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ffarrell7

irishdub14 wrote: »
    Well that was a disappointing night for me anyway, more snow melted than actually fell during the night... :(

And theres nada in the Irish Sea. :mad:

That is very strange. NOthing melted in West Dublin. Temperature never got sbove zero. About a foot of snow everywhere.:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

-15.3 in Charlestown on the NRA site!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Coopaloop

whiskeyman wrote: »
    In D3 and need to get to Celbridge later. Checked AA and roads seem quiet enough. Would I be stupid to attempted to drive out there?
    I just came from Celbridge into Dublin 2 (on bus), roads are driveable, very slow but moving! Take care.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭coolaboola

Howdy folks,

Anyone know where in Dublin City Centre/Dublin 6/Dublin 12 (Kimmage) I could buy a snow shovel?

Any idea how much one would cost?

c

Calibos wrote: »
    Is this based on sound meteorological determination or is it just a case of, 'ah sure what are the odds we'd get 3 snowfall periods an a few months'
    It's based on a few things, the culmination of a number of forecasts, some radar reviews and a big blob of hope

coolaboola wrote: »
    Howdy folks,

Anyone know where in Dublin City Centre/Dublin 6/Dublin 12 (Kimmage) I could buy a snow shovel?

c
    hmm maybe ask on the snow shovel thread below rather than a weather thread

Not sure where the thaw in the city centre is? All I see is ice, lots of snow and icicles!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Big Daddy Cool

Howdy folks,

c

hmmm how about your nearest hardware shop, ie woodies or homebase, or any small hardware shop should have one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

hmmm how about your nearest hardware shop, ie woodies or homebase, or any small hardware shop should have one.

Cos a few were sold out, True Temper in Cork are ramping up distribution in January.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

The only 'thaw' occurring now is ice compaction, the snow was so light and fluffy its height was a bit mis-representative.

Temperatures are falling because winds switched from Northeasterly to Northerly or Northwesterly off the land.

Howth showed a dramatic fall in temp as the wind swung off the land, doen from +1.3c to -0.2c very fast. Currently -1.0c there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭coolaboola

Thanks for snow shovel responses. Will check out local DIY shop (though they're a little outfit so I'm not hopeful - will keep you posted) Would be ironic to come a cropper in the snow on the way to Woodies to get a snow shovel!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭srocliffe

The only 'thaw' occurring now is ice compaction, the snow was so light and fluffy its height was a bit mis-representative.

Temperatures are falling because winds switched from Northeasterly to Northerly or Northwesterly off the land.

Howth showed a dramatic fall in temp as the wind swung off the land, doen from +1.3c to -0.2c very fast. Currently -1.0c there.

It seems to be a bit of a balancing act, what the E/NE winds give us is the precipitation / streamers from the Irish sea, but it also causes the temperature to rise, as we saw eventually yesterday evening when a mini thaw set in near the coast.

I think the winds turning, although they caused the "welsh dragon" to miss us last night, were necessary to get the temperatures back down.

Any idea whether the winds are due to change back to E/NE again today, giving the chance of further snow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 percy100

wife on her way to kilkenny... naas road is supposedly brutal .... down to 1 lane at kill. Worst morning of the cold spell for me today.... took half an hour to clear snow/ ice from van .... all doors were frozen solid and i stupidly forced the handle of the back door and fell backwards into 9 inches of snow with said handle in my hand, M50 seriously dodgy at speed..... idiots changing lanes at 70 kph and fishtailing, got to work in Swords to find most people are working from home...:mad:

Temp really dropping in Dublin, now fallen to -9 at dub airport. Bitterly cold in Dublin 8

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

kennyb3 wrote: »
    It's based on a few things, the culmination of a number of forecasts, some radar reviews and a big blob of hope

Doh! Didn't cop you said the year and not a year!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Thanks for snow shovel responses. Will check out local DIY shop (though they're a little outfit so I'm not hopeful - will keep you posted) Would be ironic to come a cropper in the snow on the way to Woodies to get a snow shovel!! :)
    I found a map on google maps before of hardware stores around Dublin, pretty hand, let me know if the link below doesn't work.

Click here

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Drove from Dunshaughlin to Blanchardstown this morning. Roads are in bits, 40kph the whole way in on the motorway. We got a few inches in Dunshaughlin yesterday evening but there's absolutely loads in Blanch. I parked my car on the footpath outside work and the snow was so deep, I think I'm going to be completely stuck when I go to leave :(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,407 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

6z shows a chance of some east coast fun later tonight then cold and settled with high chance of record lows over snowfields

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 9 dubhillbilly

Good Jayziz... Temp reading is -9 here in Dublin 20. What's that about a thaw? The icicles are hangin from the trees and rooftops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

Just cleared the drive and path outside the house....I'm bloody wrecked now!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement