Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National: Severe Cold/ Snow Discussion (Thanks to all!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Did they even grit the roads last night?!?! I was driving up the long mile/nangor road there and just waded through snow to get back to inchicore. Cars getting stuck on the smallest incline.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

In North Tipp, on high ground, at the moment and stepping out of the house was like stepping into a giant freezer. Car showing -12 on the short drive to the shops. Bitter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭djhaxman

Can someone explain how after 3 days of well below zero temperatures, that the snow that fell here last weekend is still powdery under foot? Not complaining, cause it could and should be lethal, instead it's not bad to drive on. Just wondering is all.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

With all the snow we have on the east coast (and there's loads!), why is it never enough and why does the news of the thaw after christmas make me so sad :(:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ffarrell7

I still think the met office has a lot to answer for. The severity of this snowstorm over Dublin and parts of kildare and Wicklow in particular should have been flagged. The snow is just so bloody deep in West Dublin...my next door neighbours are from Lithuania and even by their standards they find this very bad. Many parts of the South should consider themselves lucky to have escaped as it is banjaxing Christmas preparations for a lot of people.:mad::mad::mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

Dyflin wrote: »
    With all the snow we have on the east coast (and there's loads!), why is it never enough and why does the news of the thaw after christmas make me so sad :(:confused:

Because you have the virus...like us all - Sneachtitus.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭MGMTea

It's a frickin heat wave here :pac: bye snow, it was nice knowing ya, thank you for cancelling school : Mission Accompolished :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭dizzydiesel

Here's a nice comparison to show the difference in what we got in Celbridge a few weeks ago and what fell yesterday:

And

164357_473733158779_530298779_5734707_4023296_n.jpg
    156746_474211543779_530298779_5742631_6759286_n.jpg

I hope your dog has somewhere else to sleep?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

ffarrell7 wrote: »
    I still think the met office has a lot to answer for. The severity of this snowstorm over Dublin and parts of kildare and Wicklow in particular should have been flagged. The snow is just so bloody deep in West Dublin...my next door neighbours are from Lithuania and even by their standards they find this very bad. Many parts of the South should consider themselves lucky to have escaped as it is banjaxing Christmas preparations for a lot of people.:mad::mad::mad:

I agree. I know its a novelty but do we really want this snow for another week. And the amount of people looking for this to stay and not thaw is :confused:. People and their businesses are suffering.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

u shud face the kennel towards that fence or the house and leave just enough room for the bowler to get in. that how i have it and it means it's alot more protection from the elements.
    I hope your dog has somewhere else to sleep?

lol, don't be worrying. The dog has been indoors a long time now. It's mostly so she can take shelter if we go out for a while. (during regular weather)
    Before the cold weather started we brought her into the house so she couldn't be happier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭goodies

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    Did they even grit the roads last night?!?! I was driving up the long mile/nangor road there and just waded through snow to get back to inchicore. Cars getting stuck on the smallest incline.

had to take a taxi to crumlin hospital this morning and had to get out and PUSH the car for the driver nearby! absolutely crackers...none of the paths or roads cleared. There at least should be some extra effort around emergency services. I was thinking god help anybody trying to get into a& e last night

• Registered Users Posts: 6,366 ✭✭✭positron

Very sunny here in Dublin. Will it snow again today? RainToday.co.uk shows a tiny patch of clouds making it's way across UK, but it's the free version, so not sure what happened in the last hour or so - did it fizzle out over the Irish sea?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Birth of streamers???

140447.PNG

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,888 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

i dont think we'll see any more snow or showers for that matter in this cold spell, looks like its gonna be very sunny and very cold between now and st stephens days with little if any thaw.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Eventually made it home. 5.5 hour journey on the 67 from Merrion Sq to Celbridge. And that was avoiding Lucan.
    Chapelizod and Palmerstown were a disaster. Vehicles sliding down ramps and blocking lanes. People eventually started walking the N4 up to Liffey Valley.
    Fooking wrecked!

Easily 4 or 5 inches of snow in Celbridge.

I can't believe you succeeded! My 66b left town at 4:05 and at 7:40 it was halfway up the Chapelizod sliproad in the middle after sliding ferociously. TWO 67's behind slid so badly that they kicked everyone off- slid right into the kerb. A 66A was right at the top about to turn onto the N4- for over an hour! Nothing moving except to slide back down, everyone gave up and walked. Did you walk? I walked back to a relation's in chapelizod myself, had too much stuff with me to walk all the way up to liffey valley and hope for the best there.

8.5 inches at 11 last night in Leixlip- looks to be more now, not far off a foot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

I still think the met office has a lot to answer for. The severity of this snowstorm :mad::mad::mad:

Yees were warned three bleedin weeks ago. The weekend before last yees were advised to get the chrissie shopping done in case of confinement.

Your anger should be directed at yourself for NOT taking the free advice from these boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭CiaraBohs

"more snow showers due on the coastal counties of leinster" was just on tv3

not sure if im liking this anymore :( the car is burried so we have to walk in a foot of snow to get the fresh christmas shop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Mr. Larson

The clouds out to the Irish Sea are looking ominously grey off the Wicklow Head coast... if these pass by without dumping anything then we might escape any more snow fall in the short term as there are blue skies all round aside from these. Colder now than it was at midnight last night. Still have the drip drip drip of a steady, albeit slow, thaw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭dizzydiesel

I can't take it any more! Please NO MORE SNOW. PLEASE!

gbee wrote: »
    Yees were warned three bleedin weeks ago. The weekend before last yees were advised to get the chrissie shopping done in case of confinement.

Your anger should be directed at yourself for NOT taking the free advice from these boards.

up untill yesterday they were still saying we were going to get showers and we got a foot at least so far .... we weren't even supposed to get the showers till tomorrow met eireann has a lot to answer for

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Daemonic

I can't believe you succeeded! My 66b left town at 4:05 and at 7:40 it was halfway up the Chapelizod sliproad in the middle after sliding ferociously. TWO 67's behind slid so badly that they kicked everyone off- slid right into the kerb. A 66A was right at the top about to turn onto the N4- for over an hour! Nothing moving except to slide back down, everyone gave up and walked. Did you walk? I walked back to a relation's in chapelizod myself, had too much stuff with me to walk all the way up to liffey valley and hope for the best there.

8.5 inches at 11 last night in Leixlip- looks to be more now, not far off a foot.
    I was on a 67 in Chapelizod and realized it was a lost cause at about 6.30 so got off at the lights and walked from there to Palmerstown where i managed to catch a 67X...still took from 4.15 until 8.30 to make it home :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭filo87

It's been snowing lightly here in Cork for the last 15 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Gonzo wrote: »
    i dont think we'll see any more snow or showers for that matter in this cold spell, looks like its gonna be very sunny and very cold between now and st stephens days with little if any thaw.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=69637567&postcount=3993

19-12-2010
    Gonzo wrote:
    yeah im fairly sure it is. The forecast is for very dry weather from now on so not sure we'll (the East) get to see any more snow till 2011.

:pac:

Opr

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

CiaraBohs wrote: »
    up untill yesterday they were still saying we were going to get showers and we got a foot at least so far .... we weren't even supposed to get the showers till tomorrow met eireann has a lot to answer for

Eh not everyone in this country uses here as their source for weather forecasts. So Met Éireann do have a lot to answer for in that respect considering hobbyists here can predict it but our Government funded service can't.

Eh not everyone in this country uses here as their source for weather forecasts. So Met Éireann do have a lot to answer for in that respect considering hobbyists here can predict it but our Government funded service can't.

somebody said before they could be playing it down because of the salt stocks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

You said the exact same thing about 3 days ago and look how that turned out.:D
    I don't live far from you and there's 6 inches on ground (although nowhere near as much as what we got a couple of weeks back). Other areas not too far from us got a foot of snow again!

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭diarmuid79

they forcasted since saturday that the east could get heavy snow on tuesday its very hard to predict so give them a break and enjoy instead of complaining:eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Don't write off the Irish sea.

NAE has another 5-10cm of snow forecast in the next 30 hours.

Won't be like yesterday but a fresh covering will become increasingly likely as the day and night progresses.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭MollyZ

Daemonic wrote: »
    I was on a 67 in Chapelizod and realized it was a lost cause at about 6.30 so got off at the lights and walked from there to Palmerstown where i managed to catch a 67X...still took from 4.15 until 8.30 to make it home :mad:

Wow, that's bad.:eek: I was supposed to go into town yesterday but decided not to and was feeling a bit bad about it as I saw that the buses were still running. Having read these posts, I am really, really glad I decided to stay at home.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭samboshy

You said the same thing a few days ago so stop whipping out predictions from you arse.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement