Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National: Severe Cold/ Snow Discussion (Thanks to all!)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Yeah the airport does seem to be closed , Mate on a plane and the pilot just told them there closed for 40 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

Blanchardstown has gone a bit mad. I just did the last of the shopping earlier and live a 15 minute walk from the shopping centre. It's been a very long time since I saw weather bad enough around here for people to start abandoning cars.

That, along with the traffic and the cars skidding and constantly getting stuck made for some weird entertainment. Thank feck I'm home!

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭CiaraBohs

kyub wrote: »
    Blanchardstown has gone a bit mad. I just did the last of the shopping earlier and live a 15 minute walk from the shopping centre. It's been a very long time since I saw weather bad enough around here for people to start abandoning cars.

That, along with the traffic and the cars skidding and constantly getting stuck made for some weird entertainment. Thank feck I'm home!

truck got stuck on one of the bridges was there a half hour till we went out and started directing traffic got out in the end

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

A dry spell is expected..........on the Today FM news now. Snow seems to be over?

EDIT: They also said that the airport is open.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Juppie

I work in Blanch but have been working from home the last few days. I heard it's really bad around there.

Starting to flurry a bit in Trim just now.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Hail/Snow. Not much though. Showers keep missing to the North and East.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

The activity in the irish sea, though very small, just doesn't seem to be giving up yet, just when you think it's all over a little bit more bubbles up out of nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭srocliffe

darkman2 wrote: »
    Hail/Snow. Not much though. Showers keep missing to the North and East.

Same here, have had nothing at all tonight, keep thinking one is on track for me and it either just misses, or fizzles out before getting here

Runway closed, just on the news. They are trying to de-ice it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

A dry spell is expected..........on the Today FM news now. Snow seems to be over?

EDIT: They also said that the airport is open.

Has been closed for 30 mins because of light snow (rte news just now )

Just putting donw de-icer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭brianthomas

ardmacha wrote: »
    How come there was no snow on Fair City? Every place in Dublin has some. :confused:
    it,s filmed bout 6 weeks in advance i think

Clondalkin in Dublin

RTE news on now says it is open :confused:

I know then they went to the correspondent on site and he said what i put in my last post .

I love the way they have the banner on the bottom of the screen saying that Met Eireann issues further severe weather warning, but won't say what it is!?

I know then they went to the correspondent on site and he said what i put in my last post .

A certain Genesis song springs to mind............. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭CiaraBohs

I love the way they have the banner on the bottom of the screen saying that Met Eireann issues further severe weather warning, but won't say what it is!?

ME website says no weather warnings :L

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭dubal

according to ATC, runway is "fully operational again"

Regards
    Dubal

There will be further snow showers at times over the East in the next 36 hours but for everywhere else it will be mostly dry from now on but extremely cold till St Stephens day then getting milder for a couple of days at least. This is the very last of the snow for this particular cold spell I think. Looks like freezing rain for most on St Stephen's day but not snow at low levels. Freezing rain on snow is horrible to drive in and even worse to look at or walk in. Things will get very messy and slushy.

There will be further snow showers at times over the East in the next 36 hours but for everywhere else it will be mostly dry from now on but extremely cold till St Stephens day then getting milder for a couple of days at least. This is the very last of the snow for this particular cold spell I think. Looks like freezing rain for most on St Stephen's day but not snow at low levels. Freezing rain on snow is horrible to drive in and even worse to look at or walk in. Things will get very messy and slushy.

Do you expect the cold/snowy weather to return? If so, when?

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭MGMTea

Some flakes coming down here now, thought we were avoiding it :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭th3 s1aught3r

For people travelling, freezing rain would be a nightmare. Especially as they dont treat the minor roads anywhere from what I can see

• Advertisement

Towards the New Year seems a decent bet atm. The milder weather may only last 2 days. Depends on what computer model you look at. Significant variations in the forcasts. I don't know like anyone else does what will happen after the 27th. Hopefully not continuos mild wet dross from the Atlantic. You miss this weather quick once the grey damp skies return. At least this take people's minds off the state the country is in.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

dubal wrote: »
    according to ATC, runway is "fully operational again"

Regards
    Dubal

Seems to be - a plane on departure just passed overhead.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭srocliffe

First snow of the night here, but very light, didn't notice it straight away.

Towards the New Year seems a decent bet atm. The milder weather may only last 2 days. Depends on what computer model you look at. Significant variations in the forcasts. I don't know like anyone else does what will happen after the 27th. Hopefully not continuos mild wet dross from the Atlantic. You miss this weather quick once the grey damp skies return. At least this take people's minds off the state the country is in.

Personally, I think it is nice to look at. But I actually want to see the end of it at this stage!? I'm a wheelchair user, and haven't been able to get outside my house much since it started, apart from going to and from work in a taxi.

east leinster in the firing line over 24/48 hours according to RTE Weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭th3 s1aught3r

east leinster in the firing line over 24/48 hours according to RTE Weather.

I wonder is that the elusive weather warning they teased us with on the news :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭snowbabe

Links?????Mental mickey,that's tough not being able to get out,even icy conditions are a big no no for you.although .In school one of our pals was a wheelchair user and we used to send him flying from one building to another,he was always first on icy days!!!!!!You have just made me think of him,I will look him up on facebook now i think,see how he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

apparently we're (cork) supposed to get snow on tuesday and wednesday

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭snowbabe

Sorry,didn't see the rte bit:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭carlmwan

M.T said there could be a return around the 4-5 January

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement