Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National: Severe Cold/ Snow Discussion (Thanks to all!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭joe stodge

pleting down snow here right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Some flakes in the air here. Think we're just being scraped by some of the showers passing on either side the last while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Lovely shower coming down in Malahide. Nice big flakes. Gorgeous to stand out in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 banSHE

No snow in Galway since the weekend but what we did get last wkend is still with us and is as dangerous as could be. roads are just frightning. its minus 13 outside. loads didnt turn up to work today as the diesel in their cars froze. yes Im serious.!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭4Sheets

Few flakes from broken cloud here..u coastal dwellers are killing the streamers!:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭srocliffe

Going by the radar I'm surrounded on all sides by big blobs but somehow they keep missing me. They hit land at what looks like my heading and then change direction on land away from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,383 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Nice light flakey snow in D4 right now, probably the end of it.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭th3 s1aught3r

Any news from the airport ? Is it back open ?

banSHE wrote: »
    No snow in Galway since the weekend but what we did get last wkend is still with us and is as dangerous as could be. roads are just frightning. its minus 13 outside. loads didnt turn up to work today as the diesel in their cars froze. yes Im serious.!!!!!!!!!!

News to me as well found this on Google..

Diesel at -45 degC will wax. At 0 degC it will start to cloud, and, at around -10 degC, it will gel.

Uncontaminated petrol will freeze at about minus 60 degC

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Noticed that the trolley pickup trucks in the Square car park had snowplough blades on the front today. Someone's using their loaf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

If met eireann are right we could get a good bit of snow tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭DrEvil

Any news from the airport ? Is it back open ?

Back open with alot of delays, as long as the snow keeps off tonight should be all go tomorrrow

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭CiaraBohs

Noticed that the trolley pickup trucks in the Square car park had snowplough blades on the front today. Someone's using their loaf.

were doing that in blanchardstown too

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

srocliffe wrote: »
    Going by the radar I'm surrounded on all sides by big blobs but somehow they keep missing me. They hit land at what looks like my heading and then change direction on land away from me.
    Welcome to my world!

Tbh though, lashing liquid water is going to be a novelty at this stage :D

With talk of snowmagedonatronotrix (Dotsie TM) round 3, one has to think about those poor feckers in '47 with their constant reloads and blizzards and accumulations worse than the last. By the end of February they must have been convinced it would never end. How do the Canadians or Russians etc cope with this for months on end year after year!

BEASTERLY wrote: »

eh? ME are'nt predicting much at the moment(?) but as far I know they've removed severe weather alerts?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Supercell wrote: »
    Nice light flakey snow in D4 right now, probably the end of it.

Lol, how many times have you said that today :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

banSHE wrote: »

Their thermostats are freezing not the diesel

Calibos wrote: »
    Welcome to my world!

Tbh though, lashing liquid water is going to be a novelty at this stage :D

With talk of snowmagedonatronotrix (Dotsie TM) round 3, one has to think about those poor feckers in '47 with their constant reloads and blizzards and accumulations worse than the last. By the end of February they must have been convinced it would never end. How do the Canadians or Russians etc cope with this for months on end year after year!

They would prob not survive if they got 300 days of westerly wind and rain..people adapt over time..they expect wintry weather and so are prepared and not just reacting...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭th3 s1aught3r

Just saw the BBC news forecast, even they reckon the east is getting snow tommorow, must be a fair amount so

They also reckon on the 26th the cold air meeting the Atlantic front could be a snow creator in the North and possibly the east

4Sheets wrote: »
    eh? ME are'nt predicting much at the moment(?) but as far I know they've removed severe weather alerts?

Im talking about their tv forecast after the nine news. They said the showers may reach east muster during the day. The graphics showed it being fairly heavy aswell.(in the south east anyways) I hope their right!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Shamo

Snowing in Wexford town now even though met eireann rain radar shows nothing but then i'm no expert!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

Snowing in Greystones now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Im talking about their tv forecast after the nine news. They said the showers may reach east muster during the day. The graphics showed it being fairly heavy aswell.(in the south east anyways) I hope their right!

Ill belive it when I see it, But would be nice to get something

Shamo wrote: »
    Snowing in Wexford town now even though met eireann rain radar shows nothing but then i'm no expert!

Is it heavy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 opticalens

Just in from some late night shopping so missed the rte weather, am not sure of the temp, but it was not tooo bad walking home (for the record I am very well wrapped up).....came in to a boiling house though.....roasted now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭morticia2

How do the Canadians or Russians etc cope with this for months on end year after year!

Used to live there.... they cope no problem, but I'd imagine they'd spend a fortune on snow ploughs and grit (Alberta was mostly too cold for salt to work). Planes used to sit on tarmac 15 mins prior to takeoff and get liberally sprayed with de-icer... again, they'd have had one machine probably for each gate at the airport, nearly. Cars had block heaters; you'd plug 'em in at least an hour before driving if the temp was -15 or less (they'd keep the oil liquid and give the battery less work on that first engine turnover.
    Freeze-thaw was less of a problem, though...and it was so dry there was a lot of evaporation and less of the heavy wet snow we are used to. That could bring things to a halt when it happened in April or October....hovering around freezing, things are slippier. At -5 or below, it's just another hard surface.

Oh, and another thing..... they buried their plumbing DEEP.

Someone needs to borrow the entire city council in some of these places and bring 'em over here for a few months to get us all fixed up!

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭srocliffe

Welcome to my world!

Yes just had a look at Bray there, and you are seeing exactly the same thing as me, big blobs heading for you that either just miss you or disappear or shrink.

Another big one just missed me again to the east there.

I can't really complain as I got plenty of snow yesterday, but feel like I haven't been invited to the party tonight :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 banSHE

Regardless of what it says on google or whatever you think about their thermostats it is the actual diesel thats freezing. has happened a hell of a lot of vehicles in the area. local garages say that it may be as a result of a small amount of water having got into their diesel. bit it is definetly FROZEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭smodgley

Shamo wrote: »

this shows where its coming from http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

• Advertisement

possible I guess..altough by the same chart Dublin is looking better( depending on POV)

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/atlantic-charts.asp

last time I checked the website they where taking about 'Isolated showers' and implying the worst was over..not that Im complaining ..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement