Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National: Severe Cold/ Snow Discussion (Thanks to all!)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 opticalens

Yes, that's right vibe666 we were the exact same in our house, pipe sticking up too... i'm only new so I can't thank posts ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

not sure if boards.ie was around back then.

cedar-planks-400.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ffarrell7

In West Dublin Blanch/Castleknock/Knocklyon we did. Last january two weeks of heavy lying snow, and in 2008 and 2009. I know you got a lot less in North Dublin especially on the coast because myself and some of my colleagues from the aforementioned areas used to look stupid when we told our employer and other employees in Portmarnock that the conditions were savage out where we were. When I used to reach Portmarnock there was barely a flake to be seen. This is very near where I work and it is the first time it has really stuck for a long time and it is nice to see this. But West Dublin usually gets it a lot worse simply because it is more inland--not much but it makes ahuge difference away from the sea air.:):)

CiaraBohs wrote: »
    we did not get "heavy" snowfall by any means in 08 or 09 nowhere near this much anyway
    especially not in this part of dublin

as i said i have never seen snow this bad so in fairness if its over 20 years since we've had a sizeable amount of snow we can't be expected to handle it as well as countries that expect this weather

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭fizzycyst

CiaraBohs wrote: »
    the danish even know our weather better than ME :L
    sorry but that website is showing predicted precipitation 1hr+, ME are giving forecasts for the next day and more. That website precipitation forecast actually changes every few hours to reflect more current predictions as well as what is actually happening so in fairness you can't compare the two. I'm not totally defending ME, but in fairness no one has gotten it completely correct on this current cold spell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

snowww wrote: »
    Link please

Please ! 10,000 posts later and you are asking for a link !

:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

vibe666 wrote: »
    not sure if boards.ie was around back then. :pac:

In my mealy mouth way I was trying to say that '82 and that non event last year were similar in that both were a battle between embedded cold air over Ireland and an Atlantic Frontal system with masses of power and moisture. In 1982 the Cold won and the precipitation was snow. Last year the Atlantic won and the precipitation was rain. Despite the difference in precipitation right they were very similar. High winds and 36 hours non stop. 82'-Snow. ''09/10-Rain.

So if he wants to imagine the amount of snow and blizzards. Think of last years torrential rain. Think of last years Wind. Think of last years 36 hours staring out the window at the nonstop rain. Now think of that falling as snow instead where a mm of rain translates to a cm of snow or more and he might get some appreciation of what it was like.

The boards thread in the archive I am talking about is the one about what we thought at the time was an '82 level event but which turned into a very very damp squib. ie. Last Decembers Snow thread like this one.

Coldest location at the moment is Killygordon in Donegal at -14.4°C :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭joe199

looks like that streamer could hit north dublin, nothing more than couple of showers hear today

The GEFS charts are showing snow falls from Louth to Wexford tomorrow between 08.00 and 20.00.

Now if these actually fall on already covered and frozen roads .......................................... :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

view count record ???? :eek::eek::eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭stackerman

Saganist wrote: »

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭DrEvil

Saganist wrote: »

comon 1000000 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭srocliffe

joe199 wrote: »
    looks like that streamer could hit north dublin, nothing more than couple of showers hear today

Looks on course, but so many tonight that have looked good for me, have either fizzled out or changed direction when they hit land, so we'll see.

1,000,000 is possible.

Please Snow Gods, give us more snow if we hit the million mark :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Coldest location at the moment is Killygordon in Donegal at -14.4°C

No far away in Castlederg, it is -15.9°C, having been below -16C earlier.
    People in that part of the country should keep their extremities well wrapped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 snowww

dfbemt wrote: »
    Please ! 10,000 posts later and you are asking for a link !

:confused:

What I couldn't see what he was talking about on met so  i asked him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭stackerman

Just in from snow beers :D

Really beautiful day today. Fresh snow (deep) sun a shining and fog in the low lands (morning). Truly beautiful !!

Now I've had my day of rest . . . .

MORE SNOW PLEASE :D:D:D





• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Graupel shower here at the moment, 0.3C/-1.2C

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭_whiskers

Zilch happening here, but very cold! -6 brrr!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

very light flakes blowing around,dnt think it goina get heavier at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭KizzyMonster

Light snow here...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Heavy snow/graupel in Malahide.

Left about a cm.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭srocliffe

It's been a long wait, but finally getting some decent snow for the first time tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭_whiskers

Heavy light snow... If that makes any sense?! :p
    EDIT: BIG fluffy flakes :D

Heavy snow here...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Same shower here now in finglas, would be nice if it lasted longer than it looks by the radar. Just spotted a fox goin through the field also, would of made a perfect picture!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭123balltv

It was snowing in Tallaght stopped now :(
    will there be much snow tonight for Dublin?

• Advertisement

Heaviest snow ive seen in west Dublin so far. And it's really windy too. The snow is getting blown into drifts- this is new!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement