Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National: Severe Cold/ Snow Discussion (Thanks to all!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

2 to 3 cms of snow overnight in Celbridge, snowing steadily again now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

Yup, snowing again in Blanchardstown, Dublin 15. Good thing the Christmas shopping is done!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

kyub wrote: »
    Yup, snowing again in Blanchardstown, Dublin 15. Good thing the Christmas shopping is done!

I'm really not looking forward to doing my Christmas shopping tomorrow...damn!

crisco10 wrote: »
    Whats the N11 like?? My sister is driving from Rosslare to Dublin this evening....
    It varies,I don't know what it's like today,not on it but they are good at ploughing it.These are showers so some parts will have had lots of fresh snow along the n11 and other parts will have little or none depending on where the showers came in.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 mini_brian

Nothing in Blackrock, South Co.Dublin yet. Are we due more?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭annieee

Bucketing down in Newtownmountkennedy! :eek::eek:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

mini_brian wrote: »
    Nothing in Blackrock, South Co.Dublin yet. Are we due more?

I'd say, quite a line of showers gathering out in the Irish Sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭morticia2

banSHE wrote: »
    Regardless of what it says on google or whatever you think about their thermostats it is the actual diesel thats freezing. has happened a hell of a lot of vehicles in the area. local garages say that it may be as a result of a small amount of water having got into their diesel. bit it is definetly FROZEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Diesel is a sub optimal transport type in sub zero conditions. No-one in Alberta ever drove them (except heavy goods vehicles). Diesel is heavier and harder to mobilize, furthermore, the ignition is not by spark (as in a petrol vehicle) but by a sort of glow. Below -10, you'd be lucky to get a diesel started if it isn't in a heated garage. If we're going to have these sorts of winters regularly, I'd not recommend them, unless they're a second vehicle and you have access to a petrol vehicle in emergencies.

And as all drivers of expensive rearwheel drive mercs and beamers are discovering, these are also suboptimal. For front wheel drives, might I recommend carrying a shovel?? Also if the car doesn't have passengers in the back, carry a sand bag or two to stop the less heavy rear end from fishtailing on ice.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

For the past hour in Dublin 15 it's been snowing. It was heavy for a bit, then changed kinda sleety but now it's snowing steadily again, small flakes. Wasn't expecting this today :eek: The roads around Blanch are in bits. Left work at 3.45 yesterday and got home to Dunshaughlin at 5.30 (usually a 20 minute journey). I wanted to go up to the shopping centre to get some Christmas jammies (:o) but I'll have to go without. Wouldn't go near the place today if someone paid me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

Snow is torrential here at the moment in Dublin 15. It has been bad for about the last hour but right now, it is really heavy! I actually think it is now getting even heavier!

I hear the airport is now closed till 1.30pm, the country has gone mad :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭goodies

anybody on here know what dublin city centre is like this morning? We have had snow for about an hour here in d8 but I think we are right on edge of the cloud?

would I be crackers trying to take 2 smallies in a buggy on luas? poor little things should feel a bit of christmas spirit and I am all out of ideas here...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Some good echoes appearing in the Irish sea;

Locally however there we look like we will be dry, gap set up in showers to hit here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭GSF

goodies wrote: »
    anybody on here know what dublin city centre is like this morning? We have had snow for about an hour here in d8 but I think we are right on edge of the cloud?

would I be crackers trying to take 2 smallies in a buggy on luas? poor little things should feel a bit of christmas spirit and I am all out of ideas here...
    It snowed quite a bit around 8-9am, stopped now. Roads passable but not clear. Pavements and sides of roads are piled high with snow. Its negotiatable but preobably quite tiring with a buggy after a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭jos28

angel01 wrote: »
    I hear the airport is now closed till 1.30pm :eek:

SH1T !! My son is due home this evening. Starting to panic now :eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

For the past hour in Dublin 15 it's been snowing. It was heavy for a bit, then changed kinda sleety but now it's snowing steadily again, small flakes. Wasn't expecting this today :eek: The roads around Blanch are in bits. Left work at 3.45 yesterday and got home to Dunshaughlin at 5.30 (usually a 20 minute journey). I wanted to go up to the shopping centre to get some Christmas jammies (:o) but I'll have to go without. Wouldn't go near the place today if someone paid me!

Christmas Jammies are very important :D

Meant to be driving to Blanch this evening, hmmmm
    goodies wrote: »

Dublin South City had a sprinkling of snow over night. If the Luas is running I'm sure you'd be fine, walking around is like walking on a beach, the snow is still mostly sandy. But tbh it'll probably be fairly busy so the Christmas spirit might be you and your little ones shoved tightly on a Luas and bombarded by last minute shoppers.

You could make a santa video for the little ones and put Chrismtas music on? http://www.portablenorthpole.tv/home?gclid=CNj5uNOMgqYCFY4f4QodHDp_pQ

• Registered Users Posts: 8,241 ✭✭✭ongarite

angel01 wrote: »
    Snow is torrential here at the moment in Dublin 15. It has been bad for about the last hour but right now, it is really heavy! I actually think it is now getting even heavier!

I hear the airport is now closed till 1.30pm, the country has gone mad :eek:

Yep, its as heavy as it was 2 days ago again in Blanchardstown.
    All my hard work cleaning the patio and footpaths has been undone again.

GSF wrote: »
    It snowed quite a bit around 8-9am, stopped now. Roads passable but not clear. Pavements and sides of roads are piled high with snow. Its negotiatable but preobably quite tiring with a buggy after a while.

Thank you very much GSF ...think in my heart I should leave it and start getting creative AGAIN here...hope you make it around safely today:D

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Lovely big flakes Newcastle Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Didn't expect to see snow like this again!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

nice bit of welcome top up coming in goatstown, d14.
    getting heavier as I type! Loads of (sea)gulls flying around too which is a bit wierd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭SaKuRa

Yeah seagulls everywhere here in Churchtown,its looks ominous :)

kenmc wrote: »
    nice bit of welcome top up coming in goatstown, d14.
    getting heavier as I type! Loads of (sea)gulls flying around too which is a bit wierd.

apart from boards forecasts the seagulls are the next best thing...whenever they are flying around a bit mental you know they are ahead of a flurry....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

some proper heavy snow just started here in dun laoghaire, real big flakes too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Donie75

Folks, I just drove from Athlone to Dublin city centre. Athlone to maynooth is fine. Then it was snowing from maynooth to palmerstown and the roads are very bad. Lumpy compacted ice and just 4 tire tracks in the dual carraigeway. From palmerstown to Hueston is still very icy but okay. The city centre is fine. Fairly quiet too an no problem with parking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

morticia2 wrote: »
    Diesel is heavier and harder to mobilize, furthermore, the ignition is not by spark (as in a petrol vehicle) but by a sort of glow. Below -10, you'd

Claptrap..
    Diesel engines ignite by pure compression, this is only aided on first start by glowplugs..
    We have a few diesels here, ranging up to 30 years old, they all start on a daily basis -13/14 at night up to a balmy -5/6 during the day for the past while..
    Contaminated diesel would be a problem but then again contaminated petrol isn't great stuff either...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 OliveOil

Hail at the moment.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

We had more snow during the night and looking at the radar we actually have streamers, not just scattered showers that people call streamers like the last couple of days

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Christmas Jammies are very important :D

Meant to be driving to Blanch this evening, hmmmm

Good luck. Traffic into the village and onto the two exits up to the centre coming from town was unreal. It took half an hour just to get from the Blanchardstown junction past the second SC exit (about 700m distance!) The exit on the other side of the dual carriageway was just as bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭ChessHacker

A flurry of graupel in Clonskeagh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ffarrell7

Still snowing heavily in Dublin 15..has not stopped in Castelknocl since 7.30 and it also snowed earlier this morning...unreal depth.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement