Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National: Severe Cold/ Snow Discussion (Thanks to all!)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Just started to snow in Arklow. Large flakes but not heavy at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,004 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Geting heavier here big flakes, Looks like a snowglobe outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

still pelting down in goatstown. looks absolutely beautiful. picture perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

A slight breach in the shadow, graupel now in Dublin 3, there goes the roads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

Really big flakes now falling in Dublin 15 and very heavy too, I may need to brave the elements because I don't think it is going to get any lighter for quite a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Elliee

Lovely blue sky rolling in from the north here in Swords. :D

Very swift change from heavily snowfall 30 minutes ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭JazzyJ

Very heavy snow in Sandyford for the last 20-30 minutes. And really big flakes. Sky is starting to break up on me!

(As in Sky on the television, rather than the actual sky :P)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Mr. Larson

Positve temps here at the coast for a while now, sleet falling. Still got 6 inches of the stuff lying around. Not shifting it much yet at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Shower over (Arklow)

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭giggsirish

Nothing but graupel here. Yest again its dumping the nice stuff over Dub and we getting the scraps :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

Graupel in Dublin 2.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Huge flakes of snow and lots of them! -0.7c atm

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭KizzyMonster

WTF, how is there snow in castleknock and clear skies here??

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭bray man

clouded over here in a big way, showers seem to be passing directly over us on the radar but nothing is coming out of them :rolleyes: temperature's on the rise in a big way too 1.3/0.2:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

been snowing here in clonee since I woke up about 8am. Light and then heavy.

Its heavy now. Big flakes. Cant see this ending any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

It looks like its snowing slices of bread here in Blanchardstown. JAYSUS!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

anyone seen the met eireann forecast for sunday?

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/5day-ireland.asp

if the temratures were to be low enough, it'd be like the last week's snow all in one day

• Registered Users Posts: 21 lordhaha

Sorry if this not the correct place to post but I have a weather related urgent problem.

My outdoor fishpond is nearly frozen solid and my fish appear to have only a couple of inches left to swim in. Does anyone have any suggestions how I can save them as I cannot break the ice (may squash them) and I'm unable to lift the ice off!!! they are gold fish so I can not use salt and do not know if I use hot water will this shock/kill them. Any suggestions please?

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ffarrell7

well there is and it has not stopped snowing.:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭bray man

bray man wrote: »
    temperature's on the rise in a big way too 1.3/0.2:(
    rising so fast now, 1.9/0.6:eek: i'm now expecting rain to fall if anything comes of these showers:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭dubal

hHad a bit (5 mins) of a break here in Rathfarnham, but back to the big fluffy flakes again.

Temperature is approaching zero for the first time in a long time

Regards
    Dubal

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

15 minutes ago there was a brief hail shower that had pieces averaging 8mm in diameter, going up to 1 centimetre! Largest I've ever seen. Still, it didn't fall with a high speed though maybe friction plays a large part in the speed of such hail. Or else it was just monster-sized graupel?! I may cut one open later to figure it out.

It's been lightly snowing or falling as graupel since then, on and off. The large clump of showers I estimate that are hitting Booterstown are clipping me here in Dublin 2.

I wish the showers would bear down on here more, as the last wind direction change brought them over to the airport:(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

lordhaha wrote: »
    Sorry if this not the correct place to post but I have a weather related urgent problem.

My outdoor fishpond is nearly frozen solid and my fish appear to have only a couple of inches left to swim in. Does anyone have any suggestions how I can save them as I cannot break the ice (may squash them) and I'm unable to lift the ice off!!! they are gold fish so I can not use salt and do not know if I use hot water will this shock/kill them. Any suggestions please?

Saucepan of boiling water - let it rest on the ice until the base of the saucepan melts a hole the ice. This will be a continual task as long as the temperature stays below freezing but it will allow some oxygen back into the pond.

Stopped snowing here in D15.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭fr wishy washy

Snowing in Blessington

• Registered Users Posts: 36 a1m1m1o1

found this on web hope it helps
    If you do not have a waterfall try to make sure there is a hole in the ice by heating an area with a hairdryer or by placing a warm pan on the ice to form a hole. This will allow the harmful gasses to escape. Whatever happens DO NOT BREAK THE ICE as the shockwaves formed by this action can kill the fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

take them out of the water in a bowl or something and leave them inside until the weather passes.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭dmaprelude

Graupel in Ballymount

• Registered Users Posts: 4,804 ✭✭✭thomasj

Talk about localised ! :D

We have had at least five heavy snowshowers here in Clonsilla over the last hour and a half and it's still coming down!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

there's a nice clump of clouds out at sea to north east of cork. probably full snow:( come on dont waste your snow in the sea

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 lordhaha

take them out of the water in a bowl or something and leave them inside until the weather passes.

Need to get them out/ they are about a foot long :eek: will try hot pan of water thanks to who ever posted that idea
    :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement