Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National: Severe Cold/ Snow Discussion (Thanks to all!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭dacogawa

lordhaha wrote: »
    Sorry if this not the correct place to post but I have a weather related urgent problem.

My outdoor fishpond is nearly frozen solid and my fish appear to have only a couple of inches left to swim in. Does anyone have any suggestions how I can save them as I cannot break the ice (may squash them) and I'm unable to lift the ice off!!! they are gold fish so I can not use salt and do not know if I use hot water will this shock/kill them. Any suggestions please?

DO NOT BREAK THE ICE

it could kill them, read through these answers and do your best

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20081230070717AAeMmRr

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭john.martin

Heavy snow in Dun Laoghaire

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

Looking at the huge black clouds roll into south Dublin at the moment. Heading Dun Laoghaire/Dalkey and the M50 direction. Somebody somewhere along that line is going to get a couple of inches top up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

Web_radar.gif
    :eek:

that is a lot of snow

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭bernardo mac

More cursed snow in nth Wexford.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

lordhaha wrote: »
    Sorry if this not the correct place to post but I have a weather related urgent problem.

My outdoor fishpond is nearly frozen solid and my fish appear to have only a couple of inches left to swim in. Does anyone have any suggestions how I can save them as I cannot break the ice (may squash them) and I'm unable to lift the ice off!!! they are gold fish so I can not use salt and do not know if I use hot water will this shock/kill them. Any suggestions please?

Use warm water (not hot) to slowly melt the ice. It will probably take some patience, but should work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Healthy shower of fairly fine snow here in south D15

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭bray man

rain sleet mix now falling here:mad: melting everything away:(

• Registered Users Posts: 21 lordhaha

Thanks people, Happy Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

dav3 wrote: »
    Looking at the huge black clouds roll into south Dublin at the moment. Heading Dun Laoghaire/Dalkey and the M50 direction. Somebody somewhere along that line is going to get a couple of inches top up.

I'm looking north out my office window and it looks like the bank of dark clouds is on it's was over north Dublin too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

D15... Oh, and it's stopped again. No, hang on...
    Right, I get it: showers...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Has Black Briar been buried in yet?! I'm looking forward to a couple of photos from Arklow at the rate this is going at.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Monkaa

Snowing heavily white out Carrickmines for the past hour id say...insane stuff!! For the 1st time it pisses me off as my brother's flight from London got cancelled! Hes trying to get home with my newborn nephew, 1 year old niece and wife! They re booked for this afternoon but said that will be the last chance :( too stressful waiting around with newborn and 1 year old

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

whiteout in dun laoghaire now

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    Web_radar.gif

that is a lot of snow

Anyone know what direction that's heading?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

The brother his wife and two little ones somehow made it in from liverpool at the crack of dawn this morning..talk about lucky..although they were stuck in the airport overnight..

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Monkaa

dav3 wrote: »

If this keeps up it will be the heaviest shower weve gotten yet...its insane out there! Its now worse than last time since last night depth wise and its still coming!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Huge amounts still forming in behind.

image.ashx?ok=1&country=gb&type=slide&time=&index=1&sat=

Opr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Monkaa wrote: »
    If this keeps up it will be the heaviest shower weve gotten yet...its insane out there! Its now worse than last time since last night depth wise and its still coming!

I'd say it's gonna be about 3ft total snowfall for the whole month, unreal!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Nowt here. Seem to be in a rain shadow. Maybe not a bad thing as temps looking more marginal for snow!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭crisco10

Another unbelievably heavy shower in stillorgan. Been here for an hour or so I would guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

graupel/sleet here,must be marginal at coast,seems to turn to snow more inland,a friend who works at airport says they may have to go in to work on christmas day to clear backlog

edit :just seen DM2 post about temps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Hendrixfan

angel01 wrote: »
    Snow is torrential here at the moment in Dublin 15. It has been bad for about the last hour but right now, it is really heavy! I actually think it is now getting even heavier!

I hear the airport is now closed till 1.30pm, the country has gone mad :eek:

Bleedin Dubs. Just cos you all cant handle a bit of snow no need to bring the rest of the country down with you. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭MetLuver

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    Web_radar.gif

that is a lot of snow

SSW by the looks of it on the animation, it probably wont go too far inland. Raintoday is easier for following the direction than Met.ie, you can control the speed yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭denisor

Big top up being delivered in Churchtown!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

Temp -4.5c, dew point -5.6c. Large black clouds incoming, no sign of it being marginal here:)

EDIT: What a time for the dublin radar to go AWOL!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Not much in the CC, seem to be right on the northern edge of it for the moment.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 6 lors1

goodies wrote: »
    apart from boards forecasts the seagulls are the next best thing...whenever they are flying around a bit mental you know they are ahead of a flurry....

Yep, 100% true. Knew when I saw a flock of about 30 or so on Newbridge on Monday eve we were about to get hopped off. Always the same ahead of a rain storm too:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭compsys

Absolutely pelting down in Blackrock. Honestly never seen flakes as big. Heaviest snow so far of this year's big freeze. Complete and total utter whiteout. Simply amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Mitch Buchannon

jos28 wrote: »
    Can anyone PLEASE give us some hope that Dublin Airport might re open this afternoon. My son is in the UK and due to fly hone at 20.00. Should he head for the ferry or hold on to see whats happens in Dublin . HELP !!

Airport is officially closed until 1330. Heard a whisper that it may open around 1200 but its started snowing again here at the airport so it could be pushed out past 1330.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement