Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National: Severe Cold/ Snow Discussion (Thanks to all!)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Chucky Our Larr

It is now impossible to walk around the garden due to massive drifts, and piles where the snow has slid off the roof! The dog made some sort of path which he has taken to patrolling. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

Some guys from the Army are in my area (D15) trying to get cars moving that are snowed in :eek:

Took all my energy to get around the local shops, the snow is way past my ankles and so hard to walk in :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭miseagustusa

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    Oh oh, just realised if that streamer ploughs through arklow and keeps the same direction it will head straight for us! Suppose i wouldnt say no to a couple more inches. Its a big one so it may reach waterford, dares a small bit of hope for the deise yet.

When do you think this will hit??? lovely blue skies here atm:confused: and there seems to be a thaw out so i think it will be more rain/sleet here in arklow:(

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 140 ✭✭nizo888

fiona5 wrote: »
    nothing in arklow

I would agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭muirsheen

nothing in new ross now. only few flakes fell :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,004 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Arklow gorey should expect heavy snow in the next hour or so, Wouldn't be too confident of it reaching here but i've been surprised a few times this week already ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 33 fiona5

im snowed in up at the rock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

angel01 wrote: »
    Some guys from the Army are in my area (D15) trying to get cars moving that are snowed in :eek:

Was meant to say in my last post, the army were out yesterday too around Blanchardstown. I was later driving up the Snugborough Road away from Blanch, traffic going towards the centre was backed up to the FAI place and I saw a car driving down the middle of the deep snow skipping all the traffic, I thought it was just some random nutter. It was a garda car with snow chains !

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭CiaraBohs

angel01 wrote: »

Took all my energy to get around the local shops, the snow is way past my ankles and so hard to walk in :eek:

seen the army out here yesterday too they've been busy in D15 trucks are making it difficult for drivers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭200motels

Oh oh, just realised if that streamer ploughs through arklow and keeps the same direction it will head straight for us! Suppose i wouldnt say no to a couple more inches. Its a big one so it may reach waterford, dares a small bit of hope for the deise yet.
    I hope you are right boy.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Malahide estuary is completely frozen and covered in snow. Extraordinary beautiful sight in the sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

Snowed here in Finglas really heavy during the night and then this morning on and off for a few hours. Looking at my car window that was clear last night there's over 2 inches on it now and it's still coming down. The fields were about 6-8" in parts when i had the madra out last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Chucky Our Larr

The army were up by Rockbrook Park school yesterday delivering meals to the elderly, too, I think. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

heavy snow in Clane (Kildare) again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

baraca wrote: »
    Arklow gorey should expect heavy snow in the next hour or so, Wouldn't be too confident of it reaching here but i've been surprised a few times this week already ;)

Keep the faith baraca, that streamer is bending south and it looks like arklow ill just get the northern edge of it. Hope it doesnt bend to far south and miss the coast at all. Is wexford town still mad? havent returned since the major hardship on tuesday, im plannin on headin in this afternoon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭fizzycyst

Heavy snow in Dunmore East, County Waterford now, None for the City yet, Hopefully soon

Live Data and Webcam @ www.waterfordcityweather.com
    Mick just a quick question, it looks like clouds are coming in from the south as well as coming down from the north east on rainfall radar, is this correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,004 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Keep the faith baraca, that beand is bending south and it looks like arklow ill just get the northern edge of it. Hope it doesnt bend to far south and miss the coast at all. Is wexford town still mad? havent returned since the major hardship on tuesday, plannin on headin int his afternoon

I don't hope anymore i just slightly expect to be surprised! Haven't been on main street since yesterday morning was grand street was clear,No idea what it's like today.. Hill st etc could be bad after this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

I don't hope anymore i just slightly expect to be surprised! Haven't been on main street since yesterday morning was grand street was clear,No idea what it's like today.. Hill st etc could be bad after this morning.

Thanks, might chance it so:)

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭lilywhitearmy

Not been a drop of snow up here around Dundalk since Saturday!

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭premiercad

Dublin airport runway now open ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Garseys

about 4cm of snow fell in my Back Garden this morning (D24) Still coming down aswell. Guess we're getting a white christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭davidm20

scargill wrote: »
    pelting in newbridge now

Big Time

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭irish147

the town looks good again, i am 1km from town.. and its very nice here... i have to do the snow work again....

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭morticia2

bbam wrote: »
    Claptrap..
    Diesel engines ignite by pure compression, this is only aided on first start by glowplugs..
    We have a few diesels here, ranging up to 30 years old, they all start on a daily basis -13/14 at night up to a balmy -5/6 during the day for the past while..
    Contaminated diesel would be a problem but then again contaminated petrol isn't great stuff either...

With all due respect, checked with my car dealer friend, 'tis well known it goes waxy at temps of below -10.

Please explain why no-one in Alberta used to drive 'em if I'm so wrong??

Another tip; applies to both petrol and diesel; keep yer tanks half full at least as any water contamination/particulate matter/sludge at the bottome of the fuel tank can then be kept out of the fuel lines. Learnt this on a winter driving course in good ole' Canada and I've been able to get cars going below -30....not completely inexperienced!

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Vudgie

Sleety stuff falling in Dublin 2 since about 12pm and I have to say it is doing wonders for the driving conditions in the City Centre. Obviously these roads are well travelled and probably salted but they are in pretty good condition at the moment even compared to this morning.

Glad to hear Dublin Airport is operational again.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Was looking at that and think thats Waterfords best chance of some snow. The Waterford City snow shield still working here.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Bumble32

Is there a possibility that this bank of cloud/snow could reach Cork.

http://www.sat24.com/gb

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

Bumble32 wrote: »
    Is there a possibility that this bank of cloud/snow could reach Cork.

http://www.sat24.com/gb

Anything is possible...its Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Snow again in Leixlip. I hope the birds appreciate that I keep going out and uncovering their food for them!

• Advertisement

Keep the faith baraca, that streamer is bending south and it looks like arklow ill just get the northern edge of it. Hope it doesnt bend to far south and miss the coast at all. Is wexford town still mad? havent returned since the major hardship on tuesday, im plannin on headin in this afternoon.
    Copy that.
    The darkest part of whats bearing down on me is indeed on it's southern flank.
    Dry but closing in.

Air temp is well above zero now though as is the dp so this might be sleety rain

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement