Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National: Severe Cold/ Snow Discussion (Thanks to all!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭miseagustusa

sleet/rain/snow mixture just started her in arklow

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

morticia2 wrote: »
    With all due respect, checked with my car dealer friend, 'tis well known it goes waxy at temps of below -10.

Yes, but garages stock winter-grade diesel, which contains additives to keep it liquid at low temps.

morticia2 wrote: »
    Please explain why no-one in Alberta used to drive 'em if I'm so wrong?

Because nobody in the US or Canada drives diesel cars! The public over there see them as dirty, noisy, etc., which was a reputation gained in the early days of diesel automobiles, and which persists despite today's technologies - it has nothing to do with low temperatures. You won't see anyone driving diesel in Phoenix, AZ either.

You should be looking at the likes of Sweden and Finland if you want to know how they manage with diesel cars in low temperatures. I'm sure someone with knowledge of those countries can give you more detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Kilkenny starting to snow, too warm to lodge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

sleet/rain/snow mixture just started her in arklow

Nothing here. What part of Arklow?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 33 fiona5

light snow arklow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Kilkenny City outskirts...

Temperature: Current -1.0 °C High -1.0 °C Low -7.9 °C
    Dew Point: Current -1.3 °C High -1.3 °C Low -9.0 °C

Has been snowing steadily for the last 30 minutes. First snow of any note that we have had since a couple of weeks ago.
    It has already covered the bare patches that had appeared during the week. Big flakes.

Merry Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Light sleet started here.

Precip needs to be heavier for snow.

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    Nothing here. What part of Arklow?:D

down near harbour road!!!!

down near harbour road!!!!
    up at rock

Okay a few flakes have just started to fall.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

I can see big snow clouds in sky in distance and one or two small flakes fell , will waterford city get that cloud??????

heavy snow

1.7c

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

fricatus wrote: »
    Yes, but garages stock winter-grade diesel, which contains additives to keep it liquid at low temps.

Because nobody in the US or Canada drives diesel cars! The public over there see them as dirty, noisy, etc., which was a reputation gained in the early days of diesel automobiles, and which persists despite today's technologies - it has nothing to do with low temperatures. You won't see anyone driving diesel in Phoenix, AZ either.

You should be looking at the likes of Sweden and Finland if you want to know how they manage with diesel cars in low temperatures. I'm sure someone with knowledge of those countries can give you more detail.

Not getting into the larger debate (I don't know the answer), but I will vouch that almost no one drives diesel in the states... most petrol stations don't have diesel pumps even...

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭fr wishy washy

Still snowing in Blessington

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 realslimshady

Big chunky flakes here in Lucan falling fairly steady the past 5 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Any updates on the D24 snow situation? Trying to plan whether to get a bus or a Luas home from work later.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Heavy snow for the last ten minutes or so in Lusk... easing now though.

geting heavy now arklow

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Streamer heading for CC, rain sleet or snow?

Howth at 1.5/0.5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Howth at 1.5/0.5
    Snow here just north of the city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,004 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

heavy snow

1.7c

Seems to be keeping its intensity as it heads south too, Think its bending a bit too much to hit here though

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    Okay a few flakes have just started to fall.;)

where:P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Big flakes of snow here but fairly wet flakes now which marks the end of snow here for this cold period I think. Still alot of snow on the ground and a minimal thaw. Tonight this will all freeze again as winds go offshore. Probrably get one or two more small showers today but next up is the freezing rain on Sunday. It's going to be very messy from Sunday on with mucky slushy damp weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

snow flurries in Dublin 8

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭homolumo

Light dusting of snow here in the last half hour, very brief.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

Cant beleive that cloud over clonmel now has skint wateford we are certainly not suppose to have snow :( will that other cloud over arklow head this way maybe??? (hoping i get a reply this time) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭homolumo

jo06555 wrote: »
    Cant beleive that cloud over clonmel now has skint wateford we are certainly not suppose to have snow :( will that other cloud over arklow head this way maybe??? (hoping i get a reply this time) :)

I just caught the edge of it here in Kill, radar was spot on.

where:P

Coolgreany Road.:eek: Now stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,004 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

jo06555 wrote: »

I'm not really expecting it to hit here really nevermind waterford, and i'm NEVER wrong (joke :p)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Vudgie

Howth at 1.5/0.5

Sleet and graupel at the moment in D2 but this may change.

Feels like there was a slight rise in temps when I was out at 1pm. But this stuff looks pretty wet at the moment.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement