Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National: Severe Cold/ Snow Discussion (Thanks to all!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭del88

thunder snow in donaghmede....looks like a monster cloud is eating howth...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Vudgie wrote: »
    Proper snow now in D2. Much bigger flakes. Will have limited impact I would say other than making people head for the hills earlier!

I see it here in D2 as well, it's funny though, from where I sit I can see out the front and back of the building, it's going one way out the front and the opposite way out the back :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

Large Flakes in Dublin 2 ..! Snow & Thaw at the same time !

ice_thaw2_sm.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

i drive but i might get a bus to town to get clothes

You've no clothes! you must be freezing!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,016 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

super-rush wrote: »
    Does anybody know what its like around Nass town, have to go there tonight.

Been snowing on and off all morning apparently.

Should be ok on main roads though as long as the N7 doesn't take a hit !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

vektarman wrote: »
    You've no clothes! you must be freezing!

Driver may not let them on:D Best of luck with yer shopping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭th3 s1aught3r

Its quite bad, a lot of snow fell in past 48 hours...but if you stick to the main roads you should be ok

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

Snowing again in Dub City. Big flakes, thick & fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Vudgie

Vudgie wrote: »
    Proper snow now in D2. Much bigger flakes. Will have limited impact I would say other than making people head for the hills earlier!

Hmmm pretty heavy now.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Fnutkrumpler

Wow, looking at Guinness weather cam visibility is almost zero in City Center. Most of these streamers seem to be narrowly avoiding the D3 area for some reason. On the radar, it looks as if they are being blocked by Howth head.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭th3 s1aught3r

Lads is it still all systems go at Dublin airport?
    My mate is at Gatwick and has been waiting to go all day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Rabble Rabble

The bigger flakes indicate wetter snow, as far as I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭irishdub14

THUNDER SNOW!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭murrayp4

Heavy large flakes in D8

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Clatter bang thunder in Dublin Bay, here we go again...

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Betty-ireland

Just be careful if ya do go :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

jesus lightnening overhead, must of been overhead. almost blinded me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

Thundercats, i mean eh snow and about three varieties of snow at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Lads is it still all systems go at Dublin airport?
    My mate is at Gatwick and has been waiting to go all day

It is for now. Current snow shower and visibility down to 900m. Braking action just reported as good so hopefully it will remain fully operational.

ATC now reporting that the 'worst of that shower seems to have passed through'.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Nearly stopped now in D2, that was quick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 richers86

Another pathetic showing in Dungarvan over. Wish it wouldn't snow at all so not to get my hopes up.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Just be careful if ya do go :)

I'm more worried i won't get home than anything else. Won't be finished til 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Betty-ireland

I'm more worried i won't get home than anything else. Won't be finished til 1.

We didn't get too much snow, hardly any in fact so from here til motorway is pretty good!

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭LID

Big fluffly flakes in Crumlin, Dublin 12 now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

We didn't get too much snow, hardly any in fact so from here til motorway is pretty good!

Its weird that one side of the mountain got a fair bit but your side barely got anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭morticia2

fricatus wrote: »
    Yes, but garages stock winter-grade diesel, which contains additives to keep it liquid at low temps.

Because nobody in the US or Canada drives diesel cars! The public over there see them as dirty, noisy, etc., which was a reputation gained in the early days of diesel automobiles, and which persists despite today's technologies - it has nothing to do with low temperatures. You won't see anyone driving diesel in Phoenix, AZ either.

You should be looking at the likes of Sweden and Finland if you want to know how they manage with diesel cars in low temperatures. I'm sure someone with knowledge of those countries can give you more detail.

From Wikipedia: Diesel fuel is also prone to waxing or gelling in cold weather; both are terms for the solidification of diesel oil into a partially crystalline state. The crystals build up in the fuel line (especially in fuel filters), eventually starving the engine of fuel and causing it to stop running. Low-output electric heaters in fuel tanks and around fuel lines are used to solve this problem. Also, most engines have a spill return system, by which any excess fuel from the injector pump and injectors is returned to the fuel tank. Once the engine has warmed, returning warm fuel prevents waxing in the tank. Due to improvements in fuel technology with additives, waxing rarely occurs in all but the coldest weather when a mix of diesel and kerosene should be used to run a vehicle.

Full link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel_engine

Alberta would have had those lowest temps, although it appears that recent modifications have improved the situation somewhat

http://alternativefuels.about.com/od/thedifferenttypes/a/ulsd.htm

See also. Regardless of modifications, though, petrol is a superior fuel below -10.

We are on the same latitude as Edmonton, and the factors keeping us much warmer may be on the wane. We know the Gulf stream etc are unstable; the mini ice age occurred during historical times

Don't say I didn't warn you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

Sun back out in wat got no snow from the clouds tho :(

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭chris2007

Snow has changed to sleet in coolock at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Hail has turned to light snow now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Girrrrseach

heavy snow falling in Finglas!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement