Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National: Severe Cold/ Snow Discussion (Thanks to all!)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 j9lyons

Travelled down from Dundalk today on the train, just got to templeogue a half hour ago. It is by far the worse here, skerries seemed bad but it very bad here. Its starting to snow again as I type!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Heavy snow now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Unreal snow in Dublin city

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

heavy snow also in Dublin 2. Only seems to stick to cars when at its heaviest. A thaw seems to be taking place here simultaneously. Tempertatures must be around 2 degrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Aceform

sun coming out in Lucan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭cranks

Sandymount. D4
    Blizzard x last 5 mins. Completely chucking it down

• Registered Users Posts: 6,229 ✭✭✭highdef

• Registered Users Posts: 6,004 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Clouded over here considerably radar has the precip to far away from us was the same earlier when it was chuckin down so holdin out some hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭miseagustusa

sunny here in arklow now :o clouds look bad out 2 sea but it doesnt look like they will hit land here:(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,388 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Simultaneous thaw and heavy snowfall in Leeson St D2 at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

morticia2 wrote: »
    From Wikipedia: Diesel fuel is also prone to waxing or gelling in cold weather; both are terms for the solidification of diesel oil into a partially crystalline state. The crystals build up in the fuel line (especially in fuel filters), eventually starving the engine of fuel and causing it to stop running. Low-output electric heaters in fuel tanks and around fuel lines are used to solve this problem. Also, most engines have a spill return system, by which any excess fuel from the injector pump and injectors is returned to the fuel tank. Once the engine has warmed, returning warm fuel prevents waxing in the tank. Due to improvements in fuel technology with additives, waxing rarely occurs in all but the coldest weather when a mix of diesel and kerosene should be used to run a vehicle.

Full link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel_engine

Alberta would have had those lowest temps, although it appears that recent modifications have improved the situation somewhat

http://alternativefuels.about.com/od/thedifferenttypes/a/ulsd.htm

See also. Regardless of modifications, though, petrol is a superior fuel below -10.

We are on the same latitude as Edmonton, and the factors keeping us much warmer may be on the wane. We know the Gulf stream etc are unstable; the mini ice age occurred during historical times

Don't say I didn't warn you!

Diesel will freeze/gel in cold weather and it has been known to mix diesel with AVGAS(aviation fuel) to stop it from freezing.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭DonnieBrasco

snow dublin airport the last 10 mins or so

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Streamer heading for CC, rain sleet or snow?

Howth at 1.5/0.5

heavy snow :D

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭davemc6832

Heavy snow in Rathgar. Yay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Almost like night-time in Dublin 7 now, very dark and heavy snow, huge flakes

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

yet more very heavy snow in Rathfarnham

• Registered Users Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Heavy snow in Inchicore.

Why do those eejits persist in cleaning their garden paths?? Busy fools or what!

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭murrayp4

Massive flakes in D8

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Very heavy in Milltown

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

intensity has only died down slightly but is falling as wet snow and then after a minute or so turned to graupel. The graupel is sticking to cars better.

Oh wait, snow again... I'm very bloody confused at this stage!! In good news, the wind is a sack NWerly. Will keep it towards snow in my part of the world

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭irishdub14

Very heavy hail here, no snow yet

Some massive lumps of hail falling now.

HUGE

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭xTanyax

Very heavy snow now in Dublin 12, The place is starting to get darker too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

definately the heaviest continuous snowfall in recent days in dublin city centre..blizzard like conditions, flakes are enormous!!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Unbelievable outside, i have been sure it has been clearing for the last 20 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭murrayp4

White-out in Dublin CC

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭goodies

somebody might remember I asked about taking a trip into city this morning and then downgraded my plan to local shop kilmainham. Have just ventured out with the 2 kids and had to turn back. Absolute heaviest fall we have had here this winter! Massive heavy snow be careful out there people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭irishdub14

Am I am in the same Dublin?? Feckin hail and only hail, wtf is going on!! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

As soon as this cold spell ends i'd like to put the phrases - 'streamers', 'graupel' and 'IOM Shadow' into Room 101 please.

Heavy snow @ Stephens Green.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Unbelievable snowfall right now in the city. Ignorant sized flakes

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement