Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National: Severe Cold/ Snow Discussion (Thanks to all!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

I've come to the conclusion that Bray is uniquely positioned on the East Coast to miss out on substantial snow from almost any direction.

North and North West Sea effect snow is obviously a problem because of the really long land track. N & NW frontal snow is a problem because of the land track and the Dublin mountains acting like a sponge and soaking it up before it gets to us in quantity.

West and South West Streamer and Frontal snow have the Wicklow Mountain Sponge to deal with.

Not enough of a Sea Track from the South East of Northern Ireland for intense streamers when the IOM shadow is further south down the east coast from us in a NNE wind

Dreaded Isle of Man Shadow in a NE wind.

Not enough of a sea Track from Anglesey for intense streamers when the wind is from Due East. ie. Anglesey Shadow.

And finally how often do we get snow from the South or the South East. We did in the anti clockwise winds of the low the other day but the Pwillheli shadow meant nothing for us as evidenced in this pic :rolleyes:

5281025826_145826ac48_z_d.jpg

So basically Bray is Fcuked from every direction except in exceptional circumstances.

The Cork lads should console themselves that their location is never condusive to snow, they shouldn't expect it, and that odds are its going to be at least 50 miles away from them in another county. It is infinitely more painful to be right in the thick of it on the east coast and yet get SFA while all around you literally a 5 minute drive away are getting multiple feet of the stuff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Snowing in Malahide - massive flakes - heavy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

Looks like a streamer could be on the way for Dublin.

Sorry for my stupidity but where can you see that :confused: plus is the raintoday radar conclusive because a dfriend of mine in new ross justr said its snowing their but on the radar its showing nothing significant??

OK latest update on radar shows new ross but how did that just pop up their , hoping its passing waterford city.......

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

I can literally see dark almost purple clouds to my east which would be out towards Skerries/Donabate making fast progress south... looks like they are dumping massive volumes of snow too, why couldn't they have moved in a bit further!!!

The sky looks bloody amazing though with the sun setting.

Any pics??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

only back in,was driveing in that last shower,bit squeaky bum,made the roads leathal,hows the airport doing,are they back up fully,sis due in tonight,starting to hail/graupel again

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Calibos wrote: »
    I've come to the conclusion that Bray is uniquely positioned on the East Coast to miss out on substantial snow from almost any direction.

North and North West Sea effect snow is obviously a problem because of the really long land track. N & NW frontal snow is a problem because of the land track and the Dublin mountains acting like a sponge and soaking it up before it gets to us in quantity.

West and South West Streamer and Frontal snow have the Wicklow Mountain Sponge to deal with.

Not enough of a Sea Track from the South East of Northern Ireland for intense streamers when the IOM shadow is further south down the east coast from us in a NNE wind

Dreaded Isle of Man Shadow in a NE wind.

Not enough of a sea Track from Anglesey for intense streamers when the wind is from Due East. ie. Anglesey Shadow.

And finally how often do we get snow from the South or the South East. We did in the anti clockwise winds of the low the other day but the Pwillheli shadow meant nothing for us as evidenced in this pic :rolleyes:

5281025826_145826ac48_z_d.jpg

So basically Bray is Fcuked from every direction except in exceptional circumstances.

I generally find that most coastal areas in dublin and wicklow do best in a NNE as streamers tend to brush the coast. Might be wrong though

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

darkman2 wrote: »
    Snowing in Malahide - massive flakes - heavy.

Yeah it looked like what I could see out my attic window was heading that way... looks brief but very heavy.

Ooh... few sneaky grains making an appearance here too :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

Dublin airport looks like it's going to be hit by that snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

Waterford has none of the following - graupel, hail, thunder snow, huge flakes, blizzards, white-outs, slush, sleet.............:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Can see those clouds from the north east approaching, look reasonably beefy. Might skirt south of here though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭aboyro

Waterford has none of the following - graupel, hail, thunder snow, huge flakes, blizzards, white-outs, slush, sleet.............:(
    i agree wholeheartedly with this statement. the bastards!!!!!!!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 36 a1m1m1o1

You forgot snizzle;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

I mentioned being able to see a lot of Cbs in the Irish sea a few hours ago...for a while they disappeared or moved further E.

Driving home from town just now, they're back, more of them than earlier and with quite a few anvils in there...so might be something to think about for later. I think my last mention of this preceded the arrival of thundersnow by about 90 min or so...

We even looked like we were getting a few clouds coming in to Dundalk from over the mountains but they broke up as they approached

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

aboyro wrote: »

Met Eireann???

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

aboyro wrote: »

Actually I see a few rogue flakes falling.......

Not heavy but these flakes are enormous.

It may be around the corner its in new ross and i see the odd flake falling outside my house now... (not gettin hopes up again)

V Heavy now settling rapidy

Any pics??

Sorry no I was pretty greedy and just watched in awe! Must have the camera at the ready in future... sun down now and the sky not looking that photogenic :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭smodgley

jo06555 wrote: »
    You on wexford side or waterford?? clouds bein building here in waterford last hour but no snow plus radar showing nothing for our area......:confused:

im on the wexford side bout 6 miles from ballyhack ferry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭del88

Starting up again in donaghmede ......light enough but looks like it could get heavier

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Graupel and snow again in D4

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Actually I see a few rogue flakes falling.......
    If this one skims passed us il cry :( so close but yet so far away , skys in waterford getting darker........

lol whiteout here - size of these flakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭del88

temp droping again....gone from 1.2/0.9/0.5/0.2...dew point-0.5

Graupel, hail and snow here now... its light but I'll take it.

Edit - very heavy hail now, bucketing down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭irishdub14

Proper snow falling now, moderate with quite big flakes! Its so much better than hail! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭ironingbored

Snowing in Donabate again after some graupel.

My sources can confirm it is not snowing or likely to in Waterford. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Vudgie

Here is the sleet starting up again in D2. The heavy snow is only minutes away so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

een snowing on and off all day here in Donabate. Little bit of accumulation on top of what we've already had that hasn't totally thawed.

Main roads are pretty ok considering, driveable at the least. Estates are still pretty bad, but again once you don't panic and take it handy you are grand.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement