Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National: Severe Cold/ Snow Discussion (Thanks to all!)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

From Dublin Airport Twitter:

We have suspended flight operations until 23.00 due to heavy snowfall on the runway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Ah long time no see John. What was that you said a few days ago about that places along the east coast would be lucky to see over 3cm over this week?

M.T. Cranium called some of the mesoscale features incorrectly for last weekend. On main synoptics and with medium-term forecasts apart from the extent of last weekend's snowfalls, he's been pretty decent. On the other hand, Met Eireann's forecasts seem to change not with model runs but with change of duty forecasters and they insisted on a thaw by the end of Christmas Eve which they successively pushed back to St. Stephen's day.

Also, where they tried to be specific this morning by putting out a notice for 1-3cm of snow in parts of Leinster, subsequently revised upwards to 2-5cm, a number of locations (crucially the airport included) have seen more than this today so far. I'm not exactly sure what you're saying "no" to but certainly over the last few days Peter has called it better than Met Éireann has, and certainly with more detail.

Ah Yes, but this was well before this circulation formed in the Irish sea Yesterday..And I never said East coast, I said East, and many in the East only have 3cm, trust me, I ve been to places with very little this week in the East.. And as for Monday, it was un- modelled snow..

Yes M.T got it wrong last weekend, which is why I'm tentative on his predictions, but in fairness, he got "lucky" by keeping his forecast un updated (like his usual) and the heavy snow arrived due to something that no-one saw at all...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

LookingFor wrote: »
    Mad snow now. Very poor visibility. As bad as anything on Tuesday.

Looking at the radar there doesn't seem to be any imminent let up.
    Cant believe it its pelting down again :o Im sooo over it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ffarrell7

Thanks but I’m looking for actual data which shows how bad it was, i.e percipictaton and temps.
    As I recall the event was an east and south east event. I remember drifts as big in the Waterford/Kilkenny/Wexford area but the consensus here seems to be it was almost a Dublin only event. I recall during this event Kilkenny recorded a record low of ground temp at its time of -18.1.

Not a chance..get real. These counties got verry, very little in comparison. It was mainly a Dublin/Wciklow event and when people say their houses and cottages in North Dublin were snowed under, they were. In Castleknock my friend had to dig through 8 foot of snow to get to his Gran's door and that is the way it was for most of Dublin. I grew up in Drumcondra and there were metres of the stuff a the side of the road. Waterford very, very rarely gets snow..as does Cork. Not trying to wind you up but just state a fact.:):):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

its falling like tayto crisps in DN22 now the flakes are huge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

Feel sorry for the passengers that are diverted elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

John.Icy wrote: »
    Ah Yes, but this was well before this circulation formed in the Irish sea Yesterday..And I never said East coast, I said East, and many in the East only have 3cm, trust me, I ve been to places with very little this week in the East.. And as for Monday, it was un- modelled snow..

Yes M.T got it wrong last weekend, which is why I'm tentative on his predictions, but in fairness, he got "lucky" by keeping his forecast un updated (like his usual) and the heavy snow arrived due to something that no-one saw at all...

Put away your handbag

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

You mean diverted to sunny Cork?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

I also feel sorry for the staff at the airports who are working their a***s off trying to help everyone, but are constantly getting a battering by the saintly f***ing media!!!!!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Benimar

ffarrell7 wrote: »
    Not a chance..get real. These counties got verry, very little in comparison. It was mainly a Dublin/Wciklow event and when people say their houses and cottages in North Dublin were snowed under, they were. In Castleknock my friend had to dig through 8 foot of snow to get to his Gran's door and that is the way it was for most of Dublin. I grew up in Drumcondra and there were metres of the stuff a the side of the road. Waterford very, very rarely gets snow..as does Cork. Not trying to wind you up but just state a fact.:):):):)

Being from Waterford, and being alive at the time I can assure you that it was also a 'Waterford Event'. Why do you always have to make Dublin out to be bigger and better? Dublin got it bad, but so did other places, Waterford only being one of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Have a look at the camera's now
    Blanchardstown Roundabout, Port Tunnel, Ballymun, South of Finglas Roundabout on M50 look crazy - cant even see out of them
    http://www.dublincity.ie/dublintraffic/

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

That's a little unfair, MT was saying there was the potential for a possible storm event way before the rest of the forecasters, timing was everything, and in the end, it wasn't that far out, and the East Coast has certainly seen some significant snow in recent days.

Steve

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Gorgeous soft flakey snow driving down gently here. Temperature back below freezing after the thaw today and its covering up metal surfaces , benches and railings where it melted today, a real xmas scene .

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

You mean diverted to sunny Cork?
    Yeah but some planes are diverting back to manchester

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Your obviously talkin sh!t my mother has pictures of my sister somewhere at home of her standing out in the front garden with the snow up to her head where it had been dug away about 5ft i'd say bigger drifts in the background, i'll try dig em out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

Great, my brothers flight home has been cancelled :mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ffarrell7

Benimar wrote: »
    Being from Waterford, and being alive at the time I can assure you that it was also a 'Waterford Event'. Why do you always have to make Dublin out to be bigger and better? Dublin got it bad, but so did other places, Waterford only being one of them.

Dublin and Wicklow got HAMMERED. Waterford probably got a few inches if they were lucky. it was an east wind all the time. Waterford is inland south-east. Cop on. I will check records on internet.:):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

baraca wrote: »
    Your obviously talkin sh!t my mother has pictures of my sister somewhere at home of her standing out in the front garden with the snow up to her head where it had been dug away about 5ft i'd say bigger drifts in the background, i'll try dig em out

Can we stop the bitching please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Strings

angel01 wrote: »
    Great, my brothers flight home has been cancelled :mad::mad:

Same here gutted !

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

You're stretching that argument in fairness. You corrected some other people's expections when they were clearly talking about the east coast and I made a salient point, one which you didn't acknowledge, that an awful lot of people live and work within 10 miles of the Irish Sea. I felt that it was quite appropriate to talk of the risk of snowfall for this week when so many people who live here and elsewhere will be affected by it. One of the downsides of having an airport on lower ground near the coast I suppose.

M.T. got one aspect of his forecast wrong for last weekend. As I said, his medium term forecasts have been ahead of Met eireann's almost consistently. Furthermore, Met Eireann also at one stage predicted heavy snow for Friday and Saturday last. Going off the same guidance as he had, and more again. I'm not sure what you mean by "un updated" as he is quite prompt in releasing updates, given their consequences for a large amount of people in the coming week, and the models changing for more minor details from one run to the next. Short-term, he usually only revises them for snowfall amounts (that's all I've seen)

I'd prefer if he defended his own forecasts himself so I'll say no more than that.

Surely you'd be better off on defending your substantial claims that the convection in the Irish Sea this week would be non-existent in comparsion to 3 weeks ago? Today alone, I've measured hail the size of a cent piece and had thunder and lightning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭annieee

Nothing here in Newtownmountkennedy for ages now.

Anything stirring in Greystones/Kilcoole areas?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Come back OwenC all is forgiven :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Can we stop the bitching please?

Sorry he's annoying me as usual with his dublincentreoftheworld sh!t.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,502 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Snowmagedden here in D12!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Being from Waterford i would have to agree with you that we rarely get snow here. Considering the cold spell we have had the last week or so and to not get a single decent shower of note proves that point. Makes me think how did we ever get those 3 decent falls 3 weeks ago :confused: Now that was a minor miracle thinking back on it. At least i have the Youtube clips to prove it ;) Oh those were the days :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Amazing snowfall over here in D15. I've just come back from a walk through the snow and it looks as if there are drifts of almost 1ft and at least 6inches level snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Hawkeyes

It's bucketing down here in Drumcondra right now :D

Lovin it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Being from Waterford i would have to agree with you that we rarely get snow here. Considering the cold spell we have had the last week or so and to not get a single decent shower of note proves that point. Makes me think how did we ever get those 3 decent falls 3 weeks ago :confused: Now that was a minor miracle thinking back on it. At least i have the Youtube clips to prove it ;) Oh those were the days :D
    QUOTE]

Ah you must have made that up, you cant argue with facts :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

baraca wrote: »
    Sorry he's annoying me as usual with his dublincentreoftheworld sh!t.

Well, technically...

I just hope everything is back to normal by Jan 14th. At the risk of sounding selfish, nothing else concerns me. All the best to those trying to get home for Christmas. But the snow does me no harm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

antodeco wrote: »
    Snowmagedden here in D12!

At both ends of D12 !!!... here on the D6W/12 "border" its pummelling down

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement