Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National: Severe Cold/ Snow Discussion (Thanks to all!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Bucketing down in Inchicore :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭annieee

No fair! The Dubs getting all the snow again. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

You're stretching that argument in fairness. You corrected some other people's expections when they were clearly talking about the east coast and I made a salient point, one which you didn't acknowledge, that an awful lot of people live and work within 10 miles of the Irish Sea. I felt that it was quite appropriate to talk of the risk of snowfall for this week when so many people who live here and elsewhere will be affected by it. One of the downsides of having an airport on lower ground near the coast I suppose.

M.T. got one aspect of his forecast wrong for last weekend. As I said, his medium term forecasts have been ahead of Met eireann's almost consistently. Furthermore, Met Eireann also at one stage predicted heavy snow for Friday and Saturday last. Going off the same guidance as he had, and more again. I'm not sure what you mean by "un updated" as he is quite prompt in releasing updates, given their consequences for a large amount of people in the coming week, and the models changing for more minor details from one run to the next. Short-term, he usually only revises them for snowfall amounts (that's all I've seen)

I'd prefer if he defended his own forecasts himself so I'll say no more than that.

Surely you'd be better off on defending your substantial claims that the convection in the Irish Sea this week would be non-existent in comparsion to 3 weeks ago? Today alone, I've measured hail the size of a cent piece and had thunder and lightning.

I dont want to argue, I understand people live so close to the coast. I know Met.ie also had snow for the same too, but they took it before him..

And,the convection 3 weeks ago was miles ahead of this, over a foot was widely dumped in several counties off that easterly, the only place really with substantial snow now is Dublin, a small bit of the Wicklow coast and some of kildare, but from alot of proper depths, and not guesses, the depths from now are still widely lower than last time, with the exception of those several locations....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,004 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

John.Icy wrote: »
    I dont want to argue, I understand people live so close to the coast. I know Met.ie also had snow for the same too, but they took it before him..

And,the convection 3 weeks ago was miles ahead of this, over a foot was widely dumped in several counties off that easterly, the only place really with substantial snow now is Dublin, a small bit of the Wicklow coast and some of kildare, but from alot of proper depths, and not guesses, the depths from now are still widely lower than last time, with the exception of those several locations....

Wexford town is as deep as three weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 tonybear

Damned IOM shadow! :mad::mad::mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,642 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

tonybear wrote: »
    Damned IOM shadow! :mad::mad::mad:

?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

Depths are getting there quite quickly now in Terenure, I'm watching some garden benches starting to disappear, its going over the seat level.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

imho, the depths are greater where I am than they were the last time. But thats just my area of Kilmainham, maybe it's different for different people in different areas???

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

Not wrote: »
    Depths are getting there quite quickly now in Terenure, I'm watching some garden benches starting to disappear, its going over the seat level.

Snowing again in Terenure??

• Registered Users Posts: 43 bobby14

why can't dublin airport start putting people on buses to belfast/knock/shannon etc and put the extra flights on from there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭craggles

Because the roads are f**king b******s

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

baraca wrote: »
    Wexford town is as deep as three weeks ago.

Yea ive been watching all the showers missing here and hitting town since tuesday. Out here we only have 4 inches compared to 16 inches 3 weeks ago. Im not jealous of ye at all this time.. actually i am:D

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭mvron

Massive ongoing snowfall here. Neighbour dug his car out earlier today & now can't see the difference between or 'undug' patch and his! Loving this snow :D

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭rsom

And because the planes are in the wrong places...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

I'm in Mayo, miles from the east cost and there is tons of snow here. I was out digging out the drive for my parents and theres easily 15cm plus and thats after 4 days of settling of it....

MilanPan!c wrote: »
    Snowing again in Terenure??
    Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,583 ✭✭✭Speak Now

bobby14 wrote: »
    why can't dublin airport start putting people on buses to belfast/knock/shannon etc and put the extra flights on from there?

But the aircrafts are in Dublin :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭goodies

ok massive snow lover and have just been out there and I must admit was scared....epic snow falling in d8...we have had little let up all day....
    I checked raintoday and it does not seem to be matching the volume we have had all day...what is going on???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

I'm in Mayo, miles from the east cost and there is tons of snow here. I was out digging out the drive for my parents and theres easily 15cm plus and thats after 4 days of settling of it....

Im not talking about Mayo :P

• Registered Users Posts: 43 bobby14

yeah but they said earlier that some of the planes that had diverted to shannon etc couldn't get back to dublin

• Advertisement

So is the snow

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭havana

goodies wrote: »
    ok massive snow lover and have just been out there and I must admit was scared....epic snow falling in d8...we have had little let up all day....
    I checked raintoday and it does not seem to be matching the volume we have had all day...what is going on???

Something else isn't it. Can barely see across the road!!

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Quiet you

Not wrote: »

I measured a foot last time and now I've fifteen inches. My garden bench is a goner and I had to dig out the bird feeders and made a covered dug out for the fox's food.

Plus the neighbours, i dug some of them out too.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭rsom

mvron wrote: »
    Massive ongoing snowfall here. Neighbour dug his car out earlier today & now can't see the difference between or 'undug' patch and his! Loving this snow :D

Wonder why the snowfall fills in the gaps and brings them up to the level of the other snow......footprints etc always seem to smoothen out with fresh snowfall:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 12 tonybear

?
    Its blocking all the white deliciousness

• Registered Users Posts: 10,642 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

tonybear wrote: »
    Its blocking all the white deliciousness

Haven't you had enough already?

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭craggles

Tallaght is getting fu*kin buried like the plague grave it once was

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭mvron

rsom wrote: »
    Wonder why the snowfall fills in the gaps and brings them up to the level of the other snow......footprints etc always seem to smoothen out with fresh snowfall:confused:

Maybe something to do with older snow compacting & newer snow fresh & fluffy? :)

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

Last time around we had about 2 feet where I am in Rathfarnham. This time, we're about 17 inches.

3-4 feet of snow before Xmas!? Amazing!

• Advertisement

Quiet you wrote: »
    I measured a foot last time and now I've fifteen inches. My garden bench is a goner and I had to dig out the bird feeders and made a covered dug out for the fox's food.

Plus the neighbours, i dug some of them out too.

Plus this time there has been a lot of compaction/thawing, I reckon twice the amount of snow has fallen than is represented in the current depth, so I'd say this spell is far worse than the last one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement