Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National: Severe Cold/ Snow Discussion (Thanks to all!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭goodies

been snowing on and off pretty much all day since 8 am this morning in d8...still banging away outside ..just measured 23 cm (I am a girl ) on our garden table...and a load fell off earlier... anybody know how we can compare this with previous falls? Is somebody measuring somewhere specific?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Kev_tag

Kicking off again in D12:)

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Cabra

Mate from work just made it to Limerick - thats 8 hours on the road from Dublin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

SALLY GAP 9 FEET OF DRIFTING SNOW.

Is it passable ?

Edit : Only joking !

• Registered Users Posts: 15,380 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Not wrote: »
    Is it passable ?

With a sled and a team of trained huskys perhaps!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭TFK

Not wrote: »
    Is it passable ?

That made me laugh :pac:

Anyone from Manor Kilbride or Brittas in the Dublin foothills?, must be some pretty aswome depths up there by now.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Really heavy snow with big flakes once again in Dublin city centre, big accumulations, been snowing nearly non stop for three hours. Amazing sight, fountains frozen with amazing icicles

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ffarrell7

4Sheets wrote: »
    its amazing..once in a lifetime event!

It is not once in a life time in Sally Gap. There was close to that depth there last year as well and in previous years many, many feet as well. It gets the highest snowfall in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭mary21

nothing in waterford!!:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Kev_tag

ffarrell7 wrote: »
    It is not once in a life time in Sally Gap. There was close to that depth there last year as well and in previous years many, many feet as well. It gets the highest snowfall in Ireland.

Does it really get the highest snowfall in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Cormacp6

Got up this morning and cleared the snow from the driveway and the paths and then as soon as i come in it starts bucketing down snow all my hard work was a waste of time!

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭TFK

mary21 wrote: »

You can have some of mine :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

4Sheets wrote: »
    its amazing..once in a lifetime event!

I dont think will be once in lifetime anymore.

More snow to come,and dont trust met eireann :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

the interlude in the cold might not make an enormous impact up there. If there is snow on Stephen's day it will get it up there and add more before a lukewarm thaw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

I think atc has just said Dublin airport closed until 5am now ?

Edit : atc confirmed that

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭corazon

Folks, Any updates on the airport? I was supposed to fly out from NY JFK tonight to Dublin but flight was canceled as plane never got out of Ireland. Presents are bought, bags are packed but looks like I might not be going anywhere. Heathrow seems to be open, wonder if that is worth a shot?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Stopped here now - and maybe the last snowfall we see of the current cold spell at low levels. Wonderful depths, will be a nice Christmas Eve view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

This global warming's a bitch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭4Sheets

ffarrell7 wrote: »

meant in General:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

My mate lives out in Marlfied in Kiltipper and his photos look nothing like 37 inches on the flat surface in his garden. And i've seen that amount on a regular basis back in the US.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭th3 s1aught3r

Kev_tag wrote: »
    Does it really get the highest snowfall in Ireland?

Probably as its eastern mountainous region. I know there are higher mountains but they are west coast and dont get as much snow usually

• Registered Users Posts: 6,004 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Measuring 37 inches here now and its just ridculous at this stage, has not stopped snowing since Tuesday, jeep is useless, quad is redundant only thing creeping around is an old Massey Ferguson. The most snow i have ever seen in my 32 years on the planet. The snow is higher than my 19 month old daughter.

Any pics?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

corazon wrote: »
    Folks, Any updates on the airport? I was supposed to fly out from NY JFK tonight to Dublin but flight was canceled as plane never got out of Ireland. Presents are bought, bags are packed but looks like I might not be going anywhere. Heathrow seems to be open, wonder if that is worth a shot?

Closed till 11 and then they'll review it. I live close to the airport and it's still coming down heavy here. Flights on Christmas eve will be very limited in passenger space and probably really expensive. So you'll be really lucky if you make it over this side.

I would have thought the Mourne Mountains in Northern Ireland would do well too.
    That said Sally gap gets streamers which as everyone knows deliver huge amounts right by the sea here even in Ringsend beside the urban heat Island of Dublin CC so I'd guess the total cm of yearly fall is highest there of any road in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

mary21 wrote: »

Don't worry, 36,000 tonnes of snow are being shipped in from Dublin, on Saturday :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

Unreal levels of snow in D11. Can't remember '82 put surely this is the heaviest since ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

Closed till 11 and then they'll review it. I live close to the airport and it's still coming down heavy here. Flights on Christmas eve will be very limited in passenger space and probably really expensive. So you'll be really lucky if you make it over this side.

It is closed till 0500 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭morticia2

I tend to think more clearly at the keyboard than on the phone, that's part of the problem. The time difference is also a factor. Then again, just plain stunned by life in general. Thank goodness there are no TV interviews as I look better on radio.

aww! I'm sorry for being nosy, but would love to know why you're interested in Irish weather all the way from Vancouver! Keep up the good work!
    BTW, Vancouver has (or had) a similar enough climate to Dublin, doesn't it?? is it getting the same freaky winter weather or are you guys still nice and warm??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭bernardo mac

Measuring 37 inches here now and its just ridculous at this stage, has not stopped snowing since Tuesday, jeep is useless, quad is redundant only thing creeping around is an old Massey Ferguson. The most snow i have ever seen in my 32 years on the planet. The snow is higher than my 19 month old daughter.

Reached such heights and more in drifting snows of i982 in Wicklow/Nth Wexford.Still this severely cold spell of nearly 4 weeks takes some beating

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement