Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National: Severe Cold/ Snow Discussion (Thanks to all!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

baraca wrote: »
    Any pics?

I dont think so baraca;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

Reached such heights and more in drifting snows of i982 in Wicklow/Nth Wexford.Still this severely cold spell of nearly 4 weeks takes some beating

Reached above the bushes and trees in my old estate in 1982.You could walk over them.lol so talking 13 foot drifts and higher.

And coming down heavy again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Saganist wrote: »
    Unreal levels of snow in D11. Can't remember '82 put surely this is the heaviest since ?

I'd say so. Mid 90s was heavy but nowhere near now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭Elessar

Is met eireann right when they say no more snow tomorrow until sunday because of the warm atlantic front pushing in?

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭goodies

I cannot remember 1982 ...probably because I was living in kerry which generally gets sugar dusting snow at best...

BUT have been living in dublin nearly 20 years and I think this is the most full on winter experience yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

About 6 inches in Dublin 2, at least where I am. I think anywhere south of here probably has more though. The next and possibly last shower is reaching here now.

It's amazing to think that I've only seen rain briefly falling once, between my time here and in Louth, in the last 30 days...

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭davemc6832

And for a change, here's some pictures of snow.

140689.JPG

140690.JPG

140691.JPG

140692.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

We have easily 3 foot now near the Tallaght hills :p

Elessar wrote: »
    Is met eireann right when they say no more snow tomorrow until sunday because of the warm atlantic front pushing in?

If you had been watching them before you would know they have been wrong every day this last 2 weeks lol Dont hold your breath and just wait for it to go when its ready.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭TFK

I was 4 in 1982 so I remember diddly squat about it, but this snow over the past few weeks is the most I ever remember, especially over the past few days. I did clear off the garden (well most of it) and the outside path yesterday and the snow is back up to the level of the uncleared snow.
    My 6 year olds wellies were useless in the snow today as the snow was higher than them.

I guess (yes guess so don't shoot me) we have about a foot of snow outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,380 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I do remember 82, it hit during my birthday and we couldnt get to the roller disco in Blackrock!
    That was a frontal event rather than a streamer event I think. My recollection of it was that it hit the southside of the city first then came back again for a second dose. In Dalkey there was at least 10 inches or so from the first batch and Howth had nothing(our house looked over the bay), after the second batch both was covered.
    In terms of longevity this one beats it , but not in terms of depth, nowhere close.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

This is more thematic of a 1963 winter, but that only really kicked off after Christmas...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Derfil

82 was miles ahead of this one in terms of snow depth.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭jimmy.d

This global warming's a bitch
    global cooling:cool:

Just had a peep outside and massive flakes are falling, it's slow but the flakes are huuuuge.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭snowbabe

morticia2 wrote: »
    aww! I'm sorry for being nosy, but would love to know why you're interested in Irish weather all the way from Vancouver! Keep up the good work!
    BTW, Vancouver has (or had) a similar enough climate to Dublin, doesn't it?? is it getting the same freaky winter weather or are you guys still nice and warm??

Read back my dear morticia2.......regardless wheather(get it) MT was just woken up or not,his voice made him real ,we are on the internet,and to hear a vocalisation of someone we all think we know was ....well great.
    What he had to say was irrelevant as we already had read his updates,and forcasts,it was the sheer exhilaration of hearing his voice:D:D:Dand realising he was human!
    Swoon,jesus his hair was probably damp....after his shower !!!!!!!!
    Methinks I see a femail fanclub for MT in the New Year......

Snowbabe I'd stick the hose on you but it's frozen under the snow :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

This is'nt anywhere near 1982 levels. I was 11 then and can still remember my dad having to actually dig us out of the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Derfil wrote: »
    82 was miles ahead of this one in terms of snow depth.

Ah, but the winter of 1268 was much worse than 1982, mine is bigger than yours :D

Come on everyone, give it up, this is a havey snowfall, enjoy it

Mister men wrote: »
    This is'nt anywhere near 1982 levels. I was 11 then and can still remember my dad having to actually dig us out of the house.

That sounds kinda scary.

'Flight operations were suspended at Dublin Airport from 18.30 as a result of heavy snowfalls. Snow continued to fall persistently for the following three hours.
    'Our snow and ice crew are working to clear the runway, taxiway and apron area in time for the first wave of flight arrival and departures tomorrow morning - subject to favourable weather conditions.
    'Passengers planning to travel tomorrow are advised to contact their airline or airline's website BEFORE coming to the airport.
    'With over 600 acres of runway, taxiway and apron area to clear one inch of snow over the airfield equates to more than 15,000 tons of snow to be removed.'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭goodies

I just took a quick look over at magicmum forum to see what the girlies were saying about the weather and I kid you not there is a thread entitled

"are met eireann on crack"...........

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭CourierCollie

Supercell wrote: »
    I do remember 82, it hit during my birthday and we couldnt get to the roller disco in Blackrock!

Yeah, my memory of it is somewhat clouded by the fact that I was 12 at the time (and loved it to bits). It was definitely more significant in terms of a huge fall in a small timespace.

The most amazing/ disturbing thing about this event is the continuation of low temperatures for weeks now, and how early it's begun. It's only December ffs:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Here's how much snow has landed on a chair in the back garden since this whole thing kicked off. Inchicore :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭steveLFC24

goodies wrote: »
    I just took a quick look over at magicmum forum to see what the girlies were saying about the weather and I kid you not there is a thread entitled

"are met eireann on crack"...........

Yes, I believe they are!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭th3 s1aught3r

Have they closed the airport until 5am ?
    The radar looks like its clearing up now too, odd

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    Here's how much snow has landed on a chair in the back garden since this whole thing kicked off. Inchicore :eek:

Thats big :eek:, but remember that is not an outside chair & it's getting wrecked

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Mister men wrote: »

I may have to do similar tomorrow. I was 12 back in 1982 and to me the current conditions appear worse. Other people I've spoken to who were adults in back in '82 seem to think that the current conditions are worse.

I'm not sure as I was only 12 in '82 but what's apparent is that there are more of us on the move, higher car ownership and greater travel requirements now so maybe the conditions were worse in 1982 but the impact in 2010 seems to be greater.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Banjaxed82 wrote: »

Sure puts what i have in perspective:eek:

I have about half of that!

Thats at least 18 inches

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭googsy

Large thick blanket of snow now near dublin airport. I was walking up to terminal 2 today and the snow from the roof of the terminal was coming down in slabs and crashing to the ground... surprised no one from the DAA cordoned it off for health and safety reasons..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

dacogawa wrote: »
    Thats big :eek:, but remember that is not an outside chair & it getting wrecked

It's been outside for a LONG time. It won't be gracing the dining room table again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement