Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National: Severe Cold/ Snow Discussion (Thanks to all!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

Yeah, my memory of it is somewhat clouded by the fact that I was 12 at the time (and loved it to bits). It was definitely more significant in terms of a huge fall in a small timespace.

I was only 2 but thats what the oul lad says too..

"Buried" was the word he used. Still this is defo a contender for worst "Cold snap" since... Some snap huh :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Sheesh. When I look around at all these pics from the rest of Dublin, I really think 6 inches isn't enough.

*ahem*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

snowbabe wrote: »
    Read back my dear morticia2.......regardless wheather(get it) MT was just woken up or not,his voice made him real ,we are on the internet,and to hear a vocalisation of someone we all think we know was ....well great.
    What he had to say was irrelevant as we already had read his updates,and forcasts,it was the sheer exhilaration of hearing his voice:D:D:Dand realising he was human!
    Swoon,jesus his hair was probably damp....after his shower !!!!!!!!
    Methinks I see a femail fanclub for MT in the New Year......

Hes name is O'Donnel and now all you ladies love him, he obviously has roots in Donegal:

Is Daniel M.T's cousin?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

just been talking to the bf in finglas, he said the snow is almost to his knee in places and hes 6'5 :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I really think 6 inches isn't enough:rolleyes:

Are you female :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I agree with everyone one else. 82 was much more snow. Had to dig out the back door because there were drifts of 8ft in gardens. It was also not as powdery as this snow. I remember milk and bread running out in the shops, and the army helping with deliveries and transport all over the city. I remember it lasting a while. Longer than a week though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

TFK wrote: »
    That sounds kinda scary.

lol there was no food in shops and you had black outs all over the place,and imagine non efficient heating all worked off boilers.I loved it lol Sledding with your dog along the empty roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭TaraR

Let is snow let it snow let it snow :D
    December2010021.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Mister men wrote: »
    This is'nt anywhere near 1982 levels. I was 11 then and can still remember my dad having to actually dig us out of the house.

The difference between now and '82 is that ALL of the snow came in one 24-hour period in '82. Thousands of cars were abandoned in '82 and the country virtually shut down. I got a taxi to Dublin Airport on the 14th Jan, 6 days after the event and the approach road to the airport had banks of snow piled 10 feet high on either side of the road. It took me 45 minutes to travel from Santry, which is approximate walking pace.

BostonB wrote: »
    I agree with everyone one else. 82 was much more snow. Had to dig out the back door because there were drifts of 8ft in gardens. It was also not as powdery as this snow. I remember milk and bread running out in the shops, and the army helping with deliveries and transport all over the city. I remember it lasting a while. Longer than a week though.

See that's the thing. We're not comparing like with like. Back then milk was delivered by the milkman in a milk float - an electric vehicle (which are apparently all the rage now). Deliveries to shops took longer. Transport and roads were substandard compared to today. Essentially it took at lot less bad weather to grind things to a halt.

We didn't even have weather radar on our home computer to get an advance warning - we really had to take Met Éireann's word for it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

BostonB wrote: »

Two weeks iirc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭4Sheets

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭TFK

caseyann wrote: »
    lol there was no food in shops and you had black outs all over the place,and imagine non efficient heating all worked off boilers.I loved it lol Sledding with your dog along the empty roads.

I guess when you are a kid it's awesome :) I know in '82 we only had an open fire and that's it! No central heating living in a flat :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,380 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Pherekydes wrote: »
    The difference between now and '82 is that ALL of the snow came in one 24-hour period in '82. Thousands of cars were abandoned in '82 and the country virtually shut down. I got a taxi to Dublin Airport on the 14th Jan, 6 days after the event and the approach road to the airport had banks of snow piled 10 feet high on either side of the road. It took me 45 minutes to travel from Santry, which is approximate walking pace.

Thats how I remember it too. I remember sitting inside the house looking out at the snow literally just piling up. I also remembering the aul fella clearing the driveway of snow so he could get the car out..but that was no good for sliding on so I poured water on it..he was not impressed :D

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

I guess when you are a kid it's awesome :) I know in '82 we only had an open fire and that's it! No central heating living in a flat :)

Dont get me wrong still remember days when heating gone,and top of my head feeling like an ice block:( but i had my baby brother then and all family with me so memories cherished.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Kev_tag

4Sheets wrote: »

Doesn't look much worse than it is at the moment, roads in the estates were certainly better in that footage!

4Sheets wrote: »

Flash ba$tard with a video camera back in '82:)

• Registered Users Posts: 33 fiona5

anyone no if theres more snow for arklow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

crosstownk wrote: »
    I may have to do similar tomorrow. I was 12 back in 1982 and to me the current conditions appear worse. Other people I've spoken to who were adults in back in '82 seem to think that the current conditions are worse.

I'm not sure as I was only 12 in '82 but what's apparent is that there are more of us on the move, higher car ownership and greater travel requirements now so maybe the conditions were worse in 1982 but the impact in 2010 seems to be greater.

There was 3 feet of snow on the ground in Terenure in 1982. And it wasn't the week before Christmas.

Think there was a couple of flashes of lightening here in D12, anyone else see that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭TFK

caseyann wrote: »
    Dont get me wrong still remember days when heating gone,and top of my head feeling like an ice block:( but i had my baby brother then and all family with me so memories cherished.:(

Ah I remember days of putting your clothes in the bed the night before, so you could get dressed for school while still in bed in the mornings.

God I feel old!

And saturday nights were bath night, you got dried in front of the fire and had a treat (which was a 10p icepop!)

I'm going waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay off topic here sorry! Blame the beer and xmas feeling :)

fiona5 wrote: »
    anyone no if theres more snow for arklow

All looks quiet now. I'd say that's the end of the snow for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭goodies

4sheets...thank you so much for posting this...it is really great to get a feel for the 1982 experience...plus double bonus I work in our lady's so I know the area...looks crazy there....

• Registered Users Posts: 13 mal48

I remember 82 as I was 32 years of age then - the big difference in 82 in my opinion was that there was lots and lots of wind with the snow which caused big drifts. I think that is why people are remembering 6in - 12in 2 foot. All is true but the depth of drifts was basicaly caused by the winds. Keep Safe everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭xTanyax

Kev_tag wrote: »
    Think there was a couple of flashes of lightening here in D12, anyone else see that?

Would love to see lightening now and thunder too lol!:D

Ah I remember days of putting your clothes in the bed the night before, so you could get dressed for school while still in bed in the mornings.

God I feel old!

And saturday nights were bath night, you got dried in front of the fire and had a treat (which was a 10p icepop!)

I'm going waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay off topic here sorry! Blame the beer and xmas feeling :)

LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HAHAHA did you live in our house haha snap :eek::D

The clothes in the Bed stuff, snap aswell lmao :D

Sorry for off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,380 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Looks like we are finally done. Maximum snow depth is reached for the current cold spell, its been fun :)
    Dreading the thaw, I really do hope its fast, the drawn out wet slushy one last time was hell.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Supercell wrote: »
    Looks like we are finally done. Maximum snow depth is reached for the current cold spell, its been fun :)
    Dreading the thaw, I really do hope its fast, the drawn out wet slushy one last time was hell.

Fast=Floods

Supercell wrote: »

Dream on lol snowing again here in Near Tallaght :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭th3 s1aught3r

Total white out now in West Wicklow, some of the heaviest ive seen this year :eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement