Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National: Severe Cold/ Snow Discussion (Thanks to all!)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭forkassed

I miss the snow:(

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭TFK

Supercell wrote: »
    Looks like we are finally done. Maximum snow depth is reached for the current cold spell, its been fun :)
    Dreading the thaw, I really do hope its fast, the drawn out wet slushy one last time was hell.

The whole thaw/freeze thing was a nightmare the last time, walking anywhere was awful. Do you think it will be similar this time? Or will it just thaw and be slushy? I can deal with walking in slush, but not death defying ice walks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭4Sheets

Looks like we are finally done. Maximum snow depth is reached for the current cold spell, its been fun :)
    Dreading the thaw, I really do hope its fast, the drawn out wet slushy one last time was hell.

Maximum snow depth is reached for the current cold spell!!!

You should know never to make bold declarations! theres two more days before the 'thaw' which might actually dump loads more before finally turning to rain if in fact it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭goodies

supercell I have not looked at any radar but it is still banging on outside...has not stopped for over 12 hours...what are you looking at?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭4Sheets

Whoever said the showers would end at midnight was it the met or MT anyway looks like they where right!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

had a short but heavy shower about an hour or so ago in Leixlip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Kev_tag

Is it unlikely another streamer could develop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭th3 s1aught3r

Remember last weekend when we didnt get snow and everyone threw the toys out :D
    What a difference a week makes

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭rsom

Are there glitches on raintoday? Still streamers showing on Sat24.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭snowbabe

must go myself,Santa busy tomorrow,was a truly great blast ,all is calm,all is quiet,safe journey to everyone....xxxxxoff to dream of of MT C:D:D:D
    Biggestnbrightest moon over beautiful Greystones tonight.Sea looks amazing,no clouds in sight.Newyear I will learn to take photos and upload them !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭del88

Hi...my name is del88
    and i'm a snow junkie.

It's started harmless enough...the odd weather forecast after the news ....the odd glance at the sky.... before i knew it i was waking in the middle of the night and checking the dp on the m2 buoy off howth on met.ie......at one stage i even had raintoday.co.uk set as my home page.
    Think i need some sort off 12 step programe...:D

Remember last weekend when we didnt get snow and everyone threw the toys out :D
    What a difference a week makes

I was quite happy to read of the West getting snow :)

I had loads to do this week and the snow rightly fecked it up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Kev_tag wrote: »
    Is it unlikely another streamer could develop?

I'd say it's done for now. A hard freeze though. -5ºC at Dublin Airport at 2300h.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Kev_tag

rsom wrote: »
    Are there glitches on raintoday? Still streamers showing on Sat24.

They look substantial aswell!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

This thread has been a hell of a journey and reminds me of how we followed last winters cold spell through boards.ie.

This time, over 11,000 posts and nearly 1 million views !!!! WOW

Tomorrow will be an interesting day. Temps are still below freezing all over the country. Possibility of some snow falls in Nth Leinster, pushed down by some northerly cold winds. This could happen in the afternoon and should not reach Dublin. However, no snow was predicted for Monday or today so ..........

Heavy snow all over the UK for Christmas Day. Should not reach Ireland but if the winds shift the East Coast will get a severe dumping. This is unlikely but who knows. That's what makes the weather so great :cool:

Charts are showing a definite warm up, gradual over Christmas and much more definite come late St Stephens Day.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭steveLFC24

Some pics I took. I cleaned my car completely about 8 oclock last night :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

http://www.meteoalarm.eu/index3.php?area=IE004&day=0&lang=
    valid from 23.12.2010 22:03 CET Until 24.12.2010 06:59 CET
    Snow/Ice Awareness Level: Orange
    "Further snow showers overnight in eastern parts of the province will give additional accumulations of 2 to 5 centimetres in places. Widespread ice on untreated surfaces not affected by snow."

http://www.meteoalarm.eu/index2.php?country=IE&day=0&lang=

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

crosstownk wrote: »
    See that's the thing. We're not comparing like with like. Back then milk was delivered by the milkman in a milk float - an electric vehicle (which are apparently all the rage now). Deliveries to shops took longer. Transport and roads were substandard compared to today. Essentially it took at lot less bad weather to grind things to a halt.

We didn't even have weather radar on our home computer to get an advance warning - we really had to take Met Éireann's word for it.

Well thats true. But there was a lot more snow.

But it wasn't as cold as this. I've never heard of temps like this in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dathi1

Flash ba$tard with a video camera back in '82:)

Thanks, that was my 8mm super 8 film camera I bought in NY for 40 dollars.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

4Sheets wrote: »
    Whoever said the showers would end at midnight was it the met or MT anyway looks like they where right!
    dfbemt wrote: »
    And there's more to come......

Should come to a stop by midnight though

It was me :D

Geez, thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭davidsr20

Is this big thaw a deffinate?would be nice to see it snow tomorrow,us in the midlands got no snow at all lately :(

dathi1 wrote: »

Not only were you a flash ba$tard with a video camera but you could afford to go to NY to buy it!!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭snowbabe

Just before I head off to bed I found you some old blank 8mm tapes so you can do comparisons on the same format:D:Dyou got a bargain for 40 dollars there:Dvintage tapes would cost you that now:D:Dnite nite

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

My dog enjoying the snow!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dathi1

Not only were you a flash ba$tard with a video camera but you could afford to go to NY to buy it!!

:D
    And I was 15 at the time. I think the snow event in 82 was way in excess of now and as stated above with massive snow drifts. It all came down within 24 hrs.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,380 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I distinctly remember in the new stories about the army having to do helicopter food drops to some towns completely cut off in '82, don't remember where but my monies on somewhere in Wicklow like Roundwood, Laragh, Rathdrum or the like?
    Curious if anyone else here can remember the specifics?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Knine wrote: »

Awwww cute!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,380 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Knine wrote: »
    Is he trying to hump the snow ?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

And I was 15 at the time. I think the snow event in 82 was way in excess of now and as stated above with massive snow drifts. It all came down within 24 hrs.

You could afford to go at 15!!! Jaysus, I was lucky to make it to Holyhead on the B&I !!

But seriously, fair play for the footage. It's rare to have video shots of the 'Big Snow' in 1982 and nice to see that you took the time to upload it to YouTube. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Is he trying to hump the snow ?

emmm He is actually a She:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement