Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National: Severe Cold/ Snow Discussion (Thanks to all!)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

lolie wrote: »
    what does FI refer to in peoples posts?? :confused:

Fantasy Island, sets of charts which are too far in the future to be reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭jimmy.d

Siobh2010 wrote: »
    Down in Gorey with kids, wanting to get up to Dublin to grandparents on Christmas eve, rear wheel drive..what are my chances??? Horrible to be stuck here on our own...
    get the train safest bet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭lolie

Fantasy Island, sets of charts which are too far in the future to be reliable.

cheers, woz bugging me this while

Just got the train from Dublin to Tralee. The heating and the toilets were not working.

I still reckon it is the safest way to travel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭4Sheets

Siobh2010 wrote: »
    Down in Gorey with kids, wanting to get up to Dublin to grandparents on Christmas eve, rear wheel drive..what are my chances??? Horrible to be stuck here on our own...

not bad..stick to main roads..the big danger is getting stuck on a slope but as long as you have a few passenegers to push you would be fine..:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Quiet you

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaay.............. boards weather thingy. Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Dublin Airport reporting -10C !

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Killygordon -18.1c now. The all time record is in danger.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Sheba891

Donegal County Council has declared ( according to Highland Radio) that salting at temps below 10 degrees (-10) is pointless as salt does not work at those temps....therefore salt will be diverted to areas where it will work..... anyone in Donegal think this is an unacceptable rationale given the state of the roads in the county in recent days?????:( Esp roads in Letterkenny....main town....rendered virtually impassable this evening....bear in mind no fresh snowfall since last Friday.........:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Sheba891

Calibos wrote: »
    Eh? Did ye miss my punchline? :D

Yoy think the end is near?????:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

Sheba891 wrote: »
    Donegal County Council has declared ( according to Highland Radio) that salting at temps below 10 degrees (-10) is pointless as salt does not work at those temps....therefore salt will be diverted to areas where it will work..... anyone in Donegal think this is an unacceptable rationale given the state of the roads in the county in recent days?????:( Esp roads in Letterkenny....main town....rendered virtually impassable this evening....bear in mind no fresh snowfall since last Friday.........:mad:

i think salt becomes usless at -17

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭craggles

drdeadlift wrote: »
    i think salt becomes usless at -17

It depends on how much salt you use. There's only so much salt to go around anyway.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,671 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Donegal County Council has declared ( according to Highland Radio) that salting at temps below 10 degrees (-10) is pointless as salt does not work at those temps....therefore salt will be diverted to areas where it will work..... anyone in Donegal think this is an unacceptable rationale given the state of the roads in the county in recent days?????

It may be unacceptable but there is a temperature where salt is useless. Saltwater frees below fresh or untreated water yes, but at -10, they both freeze. Why use/waste it when it will form ice anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,458 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Jan 82 followed a very cold December, it might be interesting for someone to look up the snowfall and temperature data for Ireland in Dec 81.

All of those epic winters are largely post-New Year events, when they speak of 62-63, that had just begun to turn cold about now, and 1947 of course had almost all of its high impact weather in February (the change came around 22 Jan, although there were a few very cold days in Dec 1946).

Last winter also, while not in the same league, very little had happened by today's date, most of the memorable stuff came later in the winter, and looking back to 2009 there was heavy snow in the first week of February.

In other words, if there's a part two (or part three, more accurately) to this winter, it will really belong in the "pantheon" of severe winters, although I would have to say, this is already enough for consideration.

Forecast update due around 0645, I am just starting into it now after the inevitable shopping excursion. To answer one earlier question, yes it is very mild here, unlike two years ago when it was our turn to be waist deep in snow, there has not been more than a sleety mix here for weeks now, it was unusually cold for a week in mid-November but since then, average to mild, and today it was pushing 10 degrees with rain at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭lucy2010

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Anyone know how low the temp went at Casement last night?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Dunno, but dublin airport is currently lower at -10, casement at -9. Wouldn't say it got much lower than that.

And according to accuweather Dublin is -11 with a windchill of -21 !!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Every night just seems to be getting colder here. At present NRA was Killygordon at -16.9. Gonna be strange having the temp more than 20c warmer in the next 48 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

Jan 82 followed a very cold December, it might be interesting for someone to look up the snowfall and temperature data for Ireland in Dec 81.

UK focused but interesting
    http://www.ukweatherworld.co.uk/forum/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=6681&start=1

• Advertisement

-11.1 according to IWO on twitter

Dublin was-10.6

• Registered Users Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

weather needs to make up it's mind. one minute it's raining sunday now it's snowing. this is according to weatherchannel. so i dont know

good morning from cork

and merry christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

hit -15 here last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

Do you think Donegal County council can change the laws if physics? Kudos to Donegal CC for not engaging in a wasteful pointless exercise to please people that don't understand the science.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

To all the weather nerds on here.. :p

I will be getting the train, not chancing driving to Dublin..

CARLOW current temp. -9.4c

Icy freezing fog and all round pretty fecking cold..

happy_christmas.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I will be sad to see the snow melt on Sunday!

I just hope enough pictures were taken of the city centre etc, of the big snow piles and just how severe this was.

Who knows we might not see it again for another 30 years.

And we marked it tonight with the coldest ever temperature @ Dublin Airport.

It will probably be smashed again tonight.

I would say possibly down to -14c in Dublin tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Looks like we could get temperatures widely down to -16c tonight, a few spots might question that record.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,366 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

I will be sad to see the snow melt on Sunday!

I just hope enough pictures were taken of the city centre etc, of the big snow piles and just how severe this was.

Who knows we might not see it again for another 30 years.

And we marked it tonight with the coldest ever temperature @ Dublin Airport.

It will probably be smashed again tonight.

I would say possibly down to -14c in Dublin tonight.

just wait till the january snow event, ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

just wait till the january snow event, ;)

Bray Snow shields at maximum cap'n! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭morticia2

They are bang on, salt stops working at -6--8 I am afraid. However, below these temps, ice is another hard surface.... Edmonton just used to pile grit on icy back roads to provide traction, like here, estates not ploughed, but they did get grit and it worked!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement