Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National: Severe Cold/ Snow Discussion (Thanks to all!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

snow was up to my dads balls in 1982,i should know i was in them. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

Very strange seeing ICE flow on the Liffey today :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

sushisushi wrote: »
    ;)
    Yes I'm a fcuking idiot!
    mac80 wrote: »
    M1 is fine in the left lane as far as Balbriggan then its hard compacted ice very slippy.
    It might have improved in the last few hours though.
    All roads around the airport are lethal also !

Mac

A mate was on the bus down earlier and on the Balbriggan bypass area there was a crash, took about 5 minutes to get 30 vehicles through, dunno how clear or otherwise it is now. All the crashes on the M1 seem to bloody happen there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Back then the snow was way above my waste,

So it was you who made the yellow snow! Dirty bastuck! :rolleyes::D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,004 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Stephens day is gonna come along and bite you all in the ass mark my words. Everyone is losing interest now and getting on with christmas and the festivities but it's creeping.. Watching you.. Waiting for you all to stop looking and then... BOOM! it stalls to the south-west of ireland and dumps 10ft of snow on us sunday people wondering where the hell it came outta.... Well you have been warned.

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

Why are people in dublin saying this is the end of the world. In dublin your never 5 mins from a shop, roads are mostly clear etc. Wexford and wicklow got a foot and a half of snow 3 weeks ago and there was rural communities cut off after they got upwards of 3 feet of it(Northwest of the county) they had no contact with the outside world. Yet they didnt have special news buletins, i think some city folk need to get a grip and realise what hardship actually is.

baraca wrote: »
    Stephens day is gonna come along and bite you all in the ass mark my words. Everyone is losing interest now and getting on with christmas and the festivities but it's creeping.. Watching you.. Waiting for you all to stop looking and then... BOOM! it stalls to the south-west of ireland and dumps 10ft of snow on us sunday people wondering where the hell it came outta.... Well you have been warned.

:pac:

Unfortunetly the new baraca NWP computer model is the only one progging this situation but we can live in hope!!!!!!:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    Why are people in dublin saying this is the end of the world. In dublin your never 5 mins from a shop, roads are mostly clear etc. Wexford and wicklow got a foot and a half of snow 3 weeks ago and there was rural communities cut off after they got upwards of 3 feet of it(Northwest of the county) they had no contact with the outside world. Yet they didnt have special news buletins, i think some city folk need to get a grip and realise what hardship actually is.

Here Here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,004 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Unfortunetly the new baraca NWP computer model is the only one progging this situation but we can live in hope!!!!!!:D:D

That's all part of the surprise!!!

Right, to set the record straight, i heared the words, nightmare, carnage etc being used to describe the Dublin snow,

Here is a pic i took in north wexford in early December, failed on-foot expedition, lol:

140730.JPG

1982 eat your hearth out!

Sorry about the miss-spelling of the word tree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭pokerface_me

Still close to 3feet of snow up here, cars still abandoned up here since last Tuesday. Guys if anyone has elderly folk or family up here please let me know and i will drop in on them. There is alot of Old Folk up this way and i'm not familiar with them all, pm me addresses or phone numbers. I will get grocerys to them and essentials.

Also with it been so cold. I have unlimited amount of Turf up here and logs all dry stacked in shed. Also about 100 bags of coal. If i can get them to these people they are more than welcome. I know people are stuck this year and nobody should be cold this Christmas. I will deliver if i can and i want nothing for them just happy to help. Please people take up my offer, i know people are proud and whatever, but nobody should be cold.

Tractor and 4x4 are very capable of getting around, so no matter where you are up here i will get supplies to you.

Still close to 3feet of snow up here, cars still abandoned up here since last Tuesday. Guys if anyone has elderly folk or family up here please let me know and i will drop in on them. There is alot of Old Folk up this way and i'm not familiar with them all, pm me addresses or phone numbers. I will get grocerys to them and essentials.

Also with it been so cold. I have unlimited amount of Turf up here and logs all dry stacked in shed. Also about 100 bags of coal. If i can get them to these people they are more than welcome. I know people are stuck this year and nobody should be cold this Christmas. I will deliver if i can and i want nothing for them just happy to help. Please people take up my offer, i know people are proud and whatever, but nobody should be cold.

Tractor and 4x4 are very capable of getting around, so no matter where you are up here i will get supplies to you.

Any chance of any pictures???????????

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Ado75

Any chance of any pictures???????????

I'm in work and don't have pics to share but I can vouch for the Three feet of snow in Kiltipper. I live in Firhouse just down the road and I had to clear my driveway 3 times yesterday to ensure I got out at 6 this morning. I last cleard it at about 18.00 yesterday and I reckon the was another 10 - 12cm there this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Right, to set the record straight, i heared the words, nightmare, carnage etc being used to describe the Dublin snow,

Here is a pic i took in north wexford in early December, failed on-foot expedition, lol:

140730.JPG

1982 eat your hearth out!

Sorry about the miss-spelling of the word tree.

WoW, is that snow falling, or fog?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Hey everybody, look at it this way, the snow may be a bit of a hindrance but on the plus side, the odds of a zombie invasion happening are minimum at the moment, Zombies can't get around in the snow, so it could be worse!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Hey everybody, look at it this way, the snow may be a bit of a hindrance but on the plus side, the odds of a zombie invasion happening are minimum at the moment, Zombies can't get around in the snow, so it could be worse!

Dear oh dear, trying to lull us into a false sense of security. Complacency will be the death of us all.
    Have you never seen snow zombies? We had them in '82.

I'm from a rural area too but I think it's you that needs to get a grip.
    The country needs to concentrate it's efforts on the major population centres and routes. You have to accept that being in a rural area means that there is a less of a priority to get your road cleared and that is a price you pay for having a house in the countryside. I came from Knocklyon in Dublin this morning and there was the guts of 2 feet of snow fallen but it was passable because the roads were ploughed.
    The reason people were able to get anywhere (albeit slowly) on main routes was that they were prioritised.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Is it just me or does this feel like the coldest day to date. Just arrived in Malahide and it's so damn cold, seems to have snowed plenty here since yesterday morning! Beautiful scenes around city centre too, stephens green is stunning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

ronoc wrote: »
    The country needs to concentrate it's efforts on the major population centres and routes.
    Dont think the poster was suggesting otherwise, just that people in Dublin need to get a sense of perspective. Everything is open, public transport is running. Traffic is heavy really, thats the only problem. Hardly life or death stuff. I walk/take the Luas, the snow is of zero consequence to me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Snow in d15 looks postcard perfect. But that is about it....sick of it!

I've no water in the hot tap :( Anyone know what's that about???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Brenireland

A Very Happy/Peaceful Christmas to everyone and all of the very best for the New Year ahead God Bless & lets hope & pray we Get another snow storm type event that will grind our country to a halt in January!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

amdublin wrote: »
    Snow in d15 looks postcard perfect. But that is about it....sick of it!

I've no water in the hot tap :( Anyone know what's that about???

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1320

Maybe post over here?

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭candy19

A Very Happy/Peaceful Christmas to everyone and all of the very best for the New Year ahead God Bless & lets hope & pray we Get another snow storm type event that will grind our country to a halt in January!:)

Ya must be joking about another snow event! I don't think people could handle much more!!:D

In Donegal here for xmas, travelled up from Dublin yesterday afternoon, took 5 hrs and 20 mins. Roads were grand until we got to cavan, however I havn't quite seen road conditions like I did comming over the Pettigoe Mountains...a lorry abandoned in the middle of the hill!

Where are the gritters and snow plough's when you need them?

PS Any Predictions for the next snow event??:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

UPDATE:

Loads of snow on the way to Cork

The Red Cross are dropping off supplies

ronoc wrote: »
    The country needs to concentrate it's efforts on the major population centres and routes. You have to accept that being in a rural area means that there is a less of a priority to get your road cleared and that is a price you pay for having a house in the countryside. I came from Knocklyon in Dublin this morning and there was the guts of 2 feet of snow fallen but it was passable because the roads were ploughed.
    The reason people were able to get anywhere (albeit slowly) on main routes was that they were prioritised.

You wouldnt be sayin that if you lived in some of the area that couldnt be reached by tractor even! Im in a rural location and it grand here i can get around grand, but just because it isnt that bad in my area or your area doesnt mean not in other areas, typical dubs:rolleyes:

John.Icy wrote: »
    WoW, is that snow falling, or fog?

Freezing fog, lovely stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

UPDATE:

Loads of snow on the way to Cork

The Red Cross are dropping off supplies

Thought I'd take some time out from building snowmen and sleding from last weekend's snow which hasn't melted in any way to note your post.

Now back to the winter wonderland outside my front door......

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

After a slight bit of scattered high cloud interference in the next few hours. Some regions appear to have the perfect conditions to record some extremely exceptional temperatures.

It is possible that some location could well break the all time Irish low temperature record tonight.

Places like Casement and Dublin could also reach around -15c.

Truly exceptional Christmas eve night ahead.

Take care out there, especially after the pub, we ain't used to these extreme temps.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭rsom

Oh thank goodness it's not snowing today!! Walked to the shopping centre, got all my last minute bits and pieces, so feeling organised now.

If it was snowing I would be stuck F5-ing this thread and get nothing done, a bit like yesterday:D

I know some people hate this weather, esp those who are less mobile and can't get out of their houses. But I have to say I love it:D Right now anyway! It's so incredibley beautiful! Only downfall is I'm smoking too much, coz I keep using the ciggies as an excuse to go and stand outside just to be "in" the weather, looking out the window is not enough! And my elderly neighbours are spending a fortune, coz I keep knocking in to see if they need stuff in the shops!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Big Daddy Cool

it was -13 here in north meath at 9 this morning, reached a tropical -6 at 1pm :cool: and now its a chilly -8.5, think it might be a cold night. :D. but dont care, its xmas, hope santa's sleigh can keep motoring through the cold night time sky

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement