Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National: Severe Cold/ Snow Discussion (Thanks to all!)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

dsmythy wrote: »
    The amazing thing about all this cold weather is if I look at the temperature and see it at -2C, I'm actually happy it's that "mild" :o

You certainly get used to the colder temps the longer you have them. The thing i noticed most was how much the wind chill factor came into play when dealing with the cold this time. There were some days when the wind really made a huge difference to how cold it felt.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭arctictree

LFCFan wrote: »
    Is this cold snap because of the gulf stream being further south than normal or is that just one of the factors?

No, its because the winds/weather have been coming from the east and north.

Ireland has mild winters becuase the prevailing south westerlies travel over a warm gulf stream. When the wind changes to come from the east, this warming is gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

Temp seems to have bottomed out now in Terenure at -12C

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Precip approaching the Mayo coast on radar. Don't think the models were showing any precip around there for this time?

http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp

Dew point temps are still 0 or below over there.

Looks to be arriving very early , what bearing could this have on the outcome of the thaw ?:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

LFCFan wrote: »
    Is this cold snap because of the gulf stream being further south than normal or is that just one of the factors?

The Atlantic weather systems were blocked, the jetstream carried our usual mild/wet/windy weather systems further south. That opens the door for cold, polar air to swing down south.

Now the Atlantic is starting to push its way back.

• Advertisement

Well that forecast was a first. Never seen a forecast like that for here before.

Hinting at ice storm-like conditions there?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,583 ✭✭✭Speak Now

You certainly get used to the colder temps the longer you have them. The thing i noticed most was how much the wind chill factor came into play when dealing with the cold this time. There were some days when the wind really made a huge difference to how cold it felt.

Hi Mick, mild air creeping in. +2 already here, expect you'll see a rapid rise soon. I can't believe im actually looking forward to a few days of milder weather :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

Well that forecast was a first. Never seen a forecast like that for here before.

Hinting at ice storm-like conditions there?

What forecast?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭millymoo

It's -12 here and our taps are frozen now. What should you do we aren't sure??
    I'm finding it hard to believe a 'thaw' is on the way? Anyone else??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

Rte really let it rip there, looks like cold making a comeback on the 1st, think people will spend the next few days burying pipes insulating them etc.....

• Advertisement

What forecast?

The TV forecast after the 9 news there.

Stressed the warning that both Met Eireann & the UKMO have for tomorrow. Mentioned that freezing rain will lead to gathering ice on surfaces and power lines.

While air temperatures will rise tomorrow the ground is still frozen to depths of up to 30cm I think she said.

Also mentioned possible blizzards for the northwest and possible flooding later tomorrow and into the next day.

Hazard symbols all over the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

The TV forecast after the 9 news there.

Stressed the warning that both Met Eireann & the UKMO have for tomorrow. Mentioned that freezing rain will lead to gathering ice on surfaces and power lines.

While air temperatures will rise tomorrow the ground is still frozen to depths of up to 30cm I think she said.

Also mentioned possible blizzards for the northwest and possible flooding later tomorrow and into the next day.

Hazard symbols all over the shop.

Never heard Met Eireann mention the UKMO as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Yes very serious situation arriving and please don't under estimate it folks.
    Build up of sheet ice on surfaces very likely so im whipping out this.

140833.png

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭alentejo

Good Bye nice polar air. Going to miss you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

I guess water mains will also be bursting all over the place in the coming days:(

Not wrote: »
    I guess water mains will also be bursting all over the place in the coming days:(

Could be a lot of ESB and telephone lines failing tomorrow too .

• Registered Users Posts: 15,380 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Huge sheets of ice floating down the liffey here by the East Link bridge now, it must be totally frozen over upstream!!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Groundhog Day compared to last year if we get freezing rain. My missus had to go to work last Stephen's morning over the back roads and it rained heavily Christmas night and froze solid to create an ice layer an inch thick. Impossible to drive on - we got a mile and a half before the car got stuck on the verge and couldn't move. If the same happens tomorrow, then the situation will be very bad - a helluva lot worse than the compacted snow and ice we have gotten used to over the past week or so :(

18Z NAE has slightly lower dew points and lower 850 temps for noon tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,583 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Casement now at -12c, this should be a new record for the coldest DAY ever in Ireland. The previous record was during the week in Cavan at -9.9c but that didn't last long!

No record Casement -5 at 21:00.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

18Z NAE has slightly lower dew points and lower 850 temps for noon tomorrow.

Could the unthinkable happen ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

No record Casement -5 at 21:00.
    it was minus 17.2 in cavan durin the week and see them stallictites on the roofs knock em off i just knocked 3ft ones off my gaf with a brush from bedroom window and they dropped like hammers they would hurt ya guys

• Registered Users Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

need some warmth. need some thaw. the snow that is left on the ground is now is gone all dirty looking:( need a clearing.

it's madness, snow fell for 2 hours last friday week, and one week and a day it's still on the ground.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

The river Barrow is frozen completely in several places, it was -15 at 8.15am today and was still only -6 at around 12 noon. Bloody cold here, but a truely amazing sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Eveylan said blizzard condtions for Donegal tomorrow with the strong gales! :)
    Winds picking up already. Temperatures risen to -1.2 now.

Could the unthinkable happen ?

I don't think so. :)

But it could mean that some areas might see a period of sleet/snow before the freezing rain/rain takes over.

Some really messy weather ahead. I'm glad I don't have to go anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭piskins72

jimmynokia wrote: »
    it was minus 17.2 in cavan durin the week and see them stallictites on the roofs knock em off i just knocked 3ft ones off my gaf with a brush from bedroom window and they dropped like hammers they would hurt ya guys

This one is from meath

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

I don't think so. :)

But it could mean that some areas might see a period of sleet/snow before the freezing rain/rain takes over.

Some really messy weather ahead. I'm glad I don't have to go anywhere.

I wonder what actually is the likelihood of freezing rain happening? It seems that a certain set of circumstances need to be in place for this to happen but i'm not sure if they will all be there tomorrow. Are Met Eireann over estimating the likelihood of this happening???

Hi Mick, mild air creeping in. +2 already here, expect you'll see a rapid rise soon. I can't believe im actually looking forward to a few days of milder weather :o

Ive seen this happening on a number of occasions before when the temp on the coast was 5 or 6 degrees higher than inland, then the wind gets up a little from the south and boom the temp shoots up. That has happened again this evening, was -2.8c at 9pm now its +0.2c

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

I wonder what actually is the likelihood of freezing rain happening? It seems that a certain set of circumstances need to be in place for this to happen but i'm not sure if they will all be there tomorrow. Are Met Eireann over estimating the likelihood of this happening???

Plain and simple the ground temps are sub zero so rain WILL freeze on surfaces

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement