Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Media Forecasts and Model Output (General Chat)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭inabina

Tornando9 wrote: »
    I don't post here that much i'm a regular on the IWN but our general consensus over there is that this is a nowcast.

The charts are FI after 12hrs.

A few of us have access to the hi-resolution models that give forecasts to the nearest 8km.

The latest run 06z shows a small intense band sweeping into the west later. Its not a huge band but should deliver some snow in a line from Sligo to Wexford the band is not very wide and should only effect a small few.

I'm afraid after that its not good out to 36hrs for the east and southeast but as i have said anything after 12hrs is FI.

From experience and level-headedness over at the IWN we never expected snowmeggeddon to occur while all others imploded.

We'd love to proved wrong.

T9

That hurt....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

i think cherryghost could be on to something for Christmas. if it must end, then let it at least go out with a bang rather than a whimper:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I don't post here that much i'm a regular on the IWN but our general consensus over there is that this is a nowcast.

The charts are FI after 12hrs.

A few of us have access to the hi-resolution models that give forecasts to the nearest 8km.

The latest run 06z shows a small intense band sweeping into the west later. Its not a huge band but should deliver some snow in a line from Sligo to Wexford the band is not very wide and should only effect a small few.

I'm afraid after that its not good out to 36hrs for the east and southeast but as i have said anything after 12hrs is FI.

From experience and level-headedness over at the IWN we never expected snowmeggeddon to occur while all others imploded.

We'd love to proved wrong.

T9

Less of the plugging now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

T9

Merry christmas to you too

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Tornando9

Me plug never.. Its not like i have a website or anything.

• Advertisement

Me plug never.. Its not like i have a website or anything.
    maybe you should take the word 'we' out of the sentence so.

3hr precip chart showing a some heavy precip moving SSE

http://www.met.ie/weathermaps/3hr-rain.gif

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    maybe you should take the word 'we' out of the sentence so.

What's the problem Netweather gets plenty of mentions as do other sites. I was just giving my opinion it is a public weather forum after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Just caught the end of the eagle on rte news just there, didnt catch it all but said there will be various lows around ireland sunday/monday bringing snow to the coasts and added its very hard to forecast this. Met eireann office looked very busy :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭roryc1

I see the Isle of Man has no shadow when the wind is NW, Fecker

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭ciaranm

Why all the hostility towards Tornado9?

It's getting a bit tribal

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ffarrell7

fricatus wrote: »
    Betcha he ran back to his computer from the studio and refreshed this thread!

I don't care what Eagleton says..apart from a light snow shower in Cork that will be the extent of it. The major snow is going east and will be staying there until Tuesday, on and off.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭sillybird

I think to be fair there are many plugging sites :)

baraca wrote: »
    Just caught the end of the eagle on rte news just there, didnt catch it all but said there will be various lows around ireland sunday/monday bringing snow to the coasts and added its very hard to forecast this. Met eireann office looked very busy :pac:
    That wasn't the eagle,it was Gerry Flemming.
    Good news none the less if ya like snow.
    I'm not too convinced of any snow down this way spreading from the NW.
    A NE is needed for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭noworries

ciaranm wrote: »

All forums have histories..... 2 years ago - pram, toys everywhere....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I hope WC was just being a little tongue in cheek, it's the season of goodwill and all that:D

Back to the models, the 3hr forecast is showing a shallow low at the Western ISles of Scotland which has been showing on the satellite footage but I expect the wind direction will back somewhat more westerly over the afternoon, making sure it stays into the Irish Sea. In any case, Belfast will be further plastered and our friends over in Wales and perhaps the IoM will be nicely pleased too!

noworries wrote: »
    All forums have histories..... 2 years ago - pram, toys everywhere....

Ahh, two cold fronts. I get it.

I'd best just back away slowly so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭th3 s1aught3r

Nuala reckons we are all getting some snow tonight, and that will continue into early next week !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

ME put low directly east of Dublin tomorrow. Showed easterlys past Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Ger Fleming was wheeled out?! That inspires me with more confidence so. I assume he wouldn't be taking the piss!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

That wasn't the eagle,it was Gerry Flemming.
    Good news none the less if ya like snow.
    I'm not too convinced of any snow down this way spreading from the NW.
    A NE is needed for that.

Would ya believe i actually had gerald fleming written their but then edited to the eagle partly because someone mentioned him in the next post :pac:

There's nothing tribal about it i just thought people would like to know what the hires is forecasting for later.

"I" never predicted snowmeggedon but would love to proved wrong. Is that better

I always check here to see what some of the forecasters are saying as they are quite good.

But will think twice about posting again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

Ahh, two cold fronts. I get it.

I'd best just back away slowly so.

When sowfags collide.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,679 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Nuala reckons we are all getting some snow tonight, and that will continue into early next week !

I'd doubt these are Nuala's thoughts on the matter.

There's nothing tribal about it i just thought people would like to know what the hires is forecasting for later.

Well, I'd thank you for it but I fear I'd be cast out to wander the internet alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭roryc1

Got to love ME forecast for tmrw

Tomorrow

Further snow showers in places

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭inabina

I'd doubt these are Nuala's thoughts on the matter.

Eagle told Nuala what to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Cool hi-res image showing the current situation.

http://saturn.unibe.ch/rsbern/noaa/dw/realtime/current/n1bcurr.jpg

Opr

The outlook for next 24 hrs is very hard to pin down in terms of where the heaviest snow will be. We are now in a nowcasting situation. Met Eireann's outlook for tomorrow verifies this. Their outlook is simply: "Further snow showers in places"

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

roryc1 wrote: »
    Got to love ME forecast for tmrw

Tomorrow

Further snow showers in places

I know! An American friend of mine couldn't believe the ME weather forecast on the radio - 'rain in parts'. :D

Advertisement