Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Media Forecasts and Model Output (General Chat)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭th3 s1aught3r

But it looks a lot better for the south and south east for Sunday by the looks of it, but as you said it will change again

What time can we look forward to seeing the 18z at ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

What time can we look forward to seeing the 18z at ?

Starting at 9.30

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

MT on The Last Word at 5pm everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

WolfeIRE wrote: »

What station is that on?

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭sillybird

Rougies wrote: »
    What station is that on?

Today FM

• Advertisement

It will be very interesting to see if MT downgrades his predictions from this mornings update. For example 45cm for inland south east over the time period he stated. Looks a bit like FI now. Hope he is going to be right but i'm wondering if any snow will fall at all here in south east regions.:confused:
    I'd imagine Mt will be of the view that the models are performing badly and as he had used some blend of them to get those totals,then thats why it was wrong.
    Models have underplayed the snow up north by a big margin.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Finished work at 5pm, might hang on to hear the wise words :P

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Hope he pops in here first with an update. I know Weathercheck had a few questions for him earlier ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Sheba891

Today FM 100-101

Excelent...
    Will he be introduced as the irish weatheronline forecaster or boards :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Excelent...
    Will he be introduced as the irish weatheronline forecaster or boards :D
    boards.ie weather forum was in irish times on saturday. it's on their website still.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

The forcast this evening is pretty much as it is stated on Met.ie. The problem is the polar vortex is so close that it's distorting every forcast because of the shifts in pressure pattern around the center on the LP meaning there is great variabilty in wind direction forcasts. And this is important this time of year because there is little or no inland convection. The sun is not powerful enough and so showers die pretty quickly once making landfall. It is difficult to nail precipitation. But id be confident of snow in the East this evening but probrably not as disruptive as was previously thought.

As for the medium term - there is no real end in sight. For the next week remaining extremely cold with the snow risk in the South and East mostly (but not exclusively).

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭snowjon

:eek::eek::eek::eek:
    VERY rare RED WARNING for Northern Ireland on the Met Office site:

Further very heavy snow is likely giving additional accumulations of 10-20 cm in many places.

Widespread disruption of transport networks is likely and only essential travel should be undertaken.

The public are advised to take extra care and refer to TrafficWatchNI.com (operational hours 07.00 to 21.00 Mon to Fri and 09:00 to17:00 on Saturdays) for further advice on road conditions.

Issued at: 1533 Fri 17 Dec
    http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/ni/ni_forecast_warnings.html

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

snowjon wrote: »

Further very heavy snow is likely giving additional accumulations of 10-20 cm in many places.

Widespread disruption of transport networks is likely and only essential travel should be undertaken.

The public are advised to take extra care and refer to TrafficWatchNI.com (operational hours 07.00 to 21.00 Mon to Fri and 09:00 to17:00 on Saturdays) for further advice on road conditions.

Nah, GFS only has 1mm snowfall, pay no heed :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭snowjon

Heehee - Heavy snow falling here already - this is crazy :D:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Well maybe?

Next few hours shall be very interesting, we will know more soon.

potential.gif

Maybe an eye now beginning to form ?

low.png

Opr

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭premiercad

12z just showing this great fight between adlantic and artic air and we are bang in the middle...!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

opr wrote: »
    Maybe an eye now beginning to form ?

low.png

Opr

is that travelling south east?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

premiercad wrote: »
    12z just showing this great fight between adlantic and artic air and we are bang in the middle...!

when does this duel commence?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭dacogawa

was going to say the very same thing! they might have changed it to feet ? :)

10121906_1712.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Just looking at the 12z update there is a lot of prec over the south and east of the country from early sunday morning into monday, I know this will change but looks intertesting

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

is that travelling south east?

Yup, Weathercheck has an arrow on his chart above showing the direction it would be most likely to take.

Opr

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

The mother is coming over from the UK tomorrow and flying back on wednesday what do you reckon the weather will be like on wednesday?
    dublin area btw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

precip begining to show up in Meath and Dublin according to the ME radar.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

snowjon wrote: »

could you send some of that further south. i've gotten very greedy now:p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Allegedly some forecaster said 'it wont be as bad as it was 2 weeks ago'. Several people have told me this today. I point out the window - 'Can you see snow, cus we didnt have any 2 weeks ago here. So it is already worse than it was 2 weeks ago, for us.'

Damn silly dublin forecast for the whole country syndrome methinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

ch750536 wrote: »
    Allegedly some forecaster said 'it wont be as bad as it was 2 weeks ago'.

I believe that was a quote from Joan Blackburn. I'm pretty sure that a day or two later she said it could be worse than the past cold spell.

Nobody really knows for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I believe that was a quote from Joan Blackburn. I'm pretty sure that a day or two later she said it could be worse than the past cold spell.

Nobody really knows for sure.

i think if you ask people in the north, they would say it's as bad, if not worse, than the last spell, from their perspective. if your criteria is the totals that fell in parts of east and south east during the last spell then techincally it's not as bad, but for anyone who didn't get as much snow from the last cold period it is worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Allegedly some forecaster said 'it wont be as bad as it was 2 weeks ago'. Several people have told me this today. I point out the window - 'Can you see snow, cus we didnt have any 2 weeks ago here. So it is already worse than it was 2 weeks ago, for us.'

Exactly. This cold snap is nowhere near as bad as the last 1, sure there no snow in Dublin don't ya know...:rolleyes:

Hate the way they just ALWAYS give it from a Dublin perspective.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

To be fair I think they mean overall the amount of snow won't be as bad, they could be wrong but I'd be surprised if anywhere in the Republic sees as much snow as we had 2 weeks ago. We had 18 inches of Snow.

So yes certainly an awful lot of the West and North will have worse than "THEY" had 2 weeks ago but overall worse than anywhere had I doubt it

Advertisement