Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Media Forecasts and Model Output (General Chat)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭th3 s1aught3r

i think if you ask people in the north, they would say it's as bad, if not worse, than the last spell, from their perspective. if your criteria is the totals that fell in parts of east and south east during the last spell then techincally it's not as bad, but for anyone who didn't get as much snow from the last cold period it is worse.

Scotland, parts of Northern Ireland having worse snow for 20 years :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭ciaranm

Never mind that pratt Noel Dempsey, Matt, put on M.T.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Weather Warning

Issued at 17 December 2010 - 16:45

Update on Severe Weather

Very cold wintry weather will continue into next week with ice by day and by night.
    Further snow showers this evening and tonight, mainly in Connacht, Ulster and West Munster, becoming more widespread tonight affecting most areas.

Further accumulations of up to
    5 to 10 cm over Ulster,Connacht and West Munster, worst on high ground, but totals of 2-5 cm elsewhere.

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/warnings.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

2-5cms ah not worth talking about compared to 2 weeks ago. Amazing a few years ago 5cm would have been a dream come through lol

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Snow gathering in the Northern half of the country will push Southeast - now whether it makes it to Dub or the Southeast remains to be seen but there is a chance.

• Advertisement

Shouldnt Noel Dempsey be off checking salt and grit supplies or something ...

Yeah, that or slitting his wrists.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

What? In Malta?

Why? He's leaving, what does he care?

What? In Malta?

Why? He's leaving, what does he care?

He is the minister for transport right now isnt he ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

MTC going on today fm now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Winger_PL

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    MTC going on today fm now

Well, quite a sexy voice SHE has and why is she describing the road conditions? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭bobblepuzzle

Snowing in Leixlip now... it's light though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

MT on now (Today FM).

EDIT: Not on long! He's calling for snow for the south and south east in the next few days. Possible break on Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Can we keep the Media Forecasts and Model Output on topic please lads?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Can we keep the Media Forecasts and Model Output on topic please lads?

looking good for the south!

well done MT!

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Winger_PL

MT talking about snow in the East tonight and a potential big event around Christmas. 10-20 cm of snow on a daily basis with SE bearing the brunt of it.

Well, they kept him for a whole minute :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

MT got a very brief slot there, he's still going for SE to get worst, hope he's right but I can't see the charts showing it, although the winds do shift around to E/NE and the charts never pick up the Irish Sea Streamers correctly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

Villain wrote: »
    MT got a very brief slot there, he's still going for SE to get worst, hope he's right but I can't see the charts showing it, although the winds do shift around to E/NE and the charts never pick up the Irish Sea Streamers correctly

Yes, I'd agree. I'd wait for his updates on here later tonight or tomorrow. Could be different then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

M.T says south bearing the brunt AGAIN!:D

Hope folks in the north and west are enjoying there mickey mouse dusting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

peter was saying that the se is likely to more snowfall than E.

East will see snow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Scotland, parts of Northern Ireland having worse snow for 20 years :eek:

yes. it's the worst snow in northern ireland for 25 years. i think higher parts of northern ireland will see close to 18 inches of snow if this were to continue untill Saturday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

BEASTERLY wrote: »

Think Nacho might have something to say about that!

Met eireanns outlook has changed for xmas day now, given cold up to and including the big day :D

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    M.T says south bearing the brunt AGAIN!:D

I'm happy with my measly dusting:D. who knew it was such a competitive sport:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

ch750536 wrote: »
    Allegedly some forecaster said 'it wont be as bad as it was 2 weeks ago'. Several people have told me this today. I point out the window - 'Can you see snow, cus we didnt have any 2 weeks ago here. So it is already worse than it was 2 weeks ago, for us.'

Damn silly dublin forecast for the whole country syndrome methinks.
    That indeed was a very misleading statment from Met Eireann.
    Sure some people here were quoting her and expecting nothing, we have more snow here now than the last big freeze. Its all geared for Dublin as you say, the grit ,the media coverage etc.

Can I ask, what does M.T. know, or claim to know, that the rest of you weather boffins don't?

I'm quite new to all this. I drop in for extreme weather. Drizzle doesn't excite.
    Is M.T. at a different level to everyone else... a cut above?

Sorry, I'm not trying to ruffle any feathers. Just to get a handle on what to expect.

ciaranm wrote: »
    Can I ask, what does M.T. know, or claim to know, that the rest of you weather boffins don't?

/QUOTE]

well i would be confident in what he says given he predicted December would be a exceptional month way back in early November. as he says himself he is due a reversal, so even if he gets the next couple of days wrong he deserves tremendous credit overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

I'm happy with my measly dusting:D. who knew it was such a competitive sport:pac:

It must be tough, my scraps left from 3 weeks are probaly deeper than what you have now, i feel for ya.:D

Only takin the piss;)

well i would be confident in what he says given he predicted December would be a exceptional month way back in Early November. as he says himself he is due reversal, so even if he gets the next couple of days wrong he deserves tremendous credit overall.

Sure, right or wrong, I'm not knocking the guy.
    It's not an exact science, I get that.

I've looked through the competition threads though. And while he's right up near the top, there are others that are seemingly just as credible.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

I'm quite new to all this. I drop in for extreme weather. Drizzle doesn't excite.
    Is M.T. at a different level to everyone else... a cut above?

Sorry, I'm not trying to ruffle any feathers. Just to get a handle on what to expect.

Hes a climatologist... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭pad199207

Sure, right or wrong, I'm not knocking the guy.
    It's not an exact science, I get that.

I've looked through the competition threads though. And while he's right up near the top, there are others that are seemingly just as credible.

Its quite something the way everyone nearly has a different idea of what to expect ona NEXT DAY EVENT, normally we would have a good idea on the next day by now. Ah well time will tell:)

Advertisement