Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Media Forecasts and Model Output (General Chat)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Why was the post about N.Ireland removed ?

Opr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭ciaranm

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Hes a climatologist... :rolleyes:

Alright, fair enough. What's everyone else then?
    I guess what I'm asking is, is M.T.'s opinion more valid that everyone elses?

Oh forget it, I can see I am ruffling feathers. If even just my own.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Why was the post about N.Ireland removed ?

Having posted it , I moved it to the other thread, as it is not really about model output.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭bkelly86

How accurate are the predictive sequences on the raintoday website?

bkelly86 wrote: »
    How acurate are the predictive sequences on the raintoday website?

unless you have a login, they're not predictive at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

seems the north has a bad situation hi

ciaranm wrote: »
    unless you have a login, they're not predictive at all
    I signed up to the premium for a look, going by the forecast on there alot more snow seems to be pushing south-east.

I signed up to the premium for a look, going by the forecast on there alot more snow seems to be pushing south-east.

Oh, cool. Fair play to you.

Not sure how cool it is to be posting screenshots of their content, but I wouldn't mind a look.

Is raintoday predicting it all coming in from the north-west?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Screen shot prediction anyone? or is that a breach of copyright . . .???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

I'm getting beers in preparation for the 18z, it's bound to look epic after them !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Screen shot prediction anyone? or is that a breach of copyright . . .???

Well people have been putting them up here for the last few weeks

here's the prediction for 21:00, its all pushing in from the north-west on the predictive sequence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

How accurate are the predictive sequences on the raintoday website?
    good for direction of precip but they do not factor in the weakening of precip as you forward on after actual readings

here's the prediction for 21:00, its all pushing in from the north-west on the predictive sequence.
    that is incorrect. all the premium version is doing is showing you what was over another part of the country at 6.30pm. While the path of the precip is correct the intensity shown there is not

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    good for direction of precip but they do not factor in the weakening of precip as you forward on after actual readings

Yeah i was thinking myself all showers were holding up well to make it that far inland.

that is incorrect. all the premium version is doing is showing you what was over another part of the country at 6.30pm. While the path of the precip is correct the intensity shown there is not

Do you think there is much chance of anything coming from the north-west making it across the country?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

I'm still a bit puzzled as to why MT is saying that the South East will get the most snow over the next few days. The showers that the west and south west are getting at the moment don't seem strong enough to make it to the corner of the country. Met Eireann are saying very little about the south east as are the models. I suppose MT has his reasons why he is predicting this, but i'm wondering on what basis :confused:

Do you think there is much chance of anything coming from the north-west making it across the country?
    they are making their way across the country. Snow in various parts of the midlands as well as Kildare and Meath at present. SE will not see much from these showers though unless a more organised band of showers develops

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

I'm still a bit puzzled as to why MT is saying that the South East will get the most snow over the next few days. The showers that the west and south west are getting at the moment don't seem strong enough to make it to the corner of the country. Met Eireann are saying very little about the south east as are the models. I suppose MT has his reasons why he is predicting this, but i'm wondering on what basis :confused:

On the Hirlam model there is precp pushing in, sun

• Advertisement

very interesting little feature pushing towards SW
    http://www.sat24.com/gb

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

On the Hirlam model there is precp pushing in, sun

Looking at the RTE forecast there now its more clear to me how the south east and east might get some snow over the weekend. The winds are changing to a more east and North East direction from tomorrow and basically this is the only way for us in the south east to get anything thats resembles heavy snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,516 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Sorry, I've been lurking, reading, checking model runs, trying to stay awake, and wondering about that offer I heard on the radio while waiting for my one minute interview, something about a car I could have from Germany for only a million euros. Sounds good, I may get a picture of it first though.

Anyway, I was stressing southeast Ireland on the radio and have been in my forecasts from tomorrow on, and I think we can look back at previous forecasts to establish that today's snow in north and west has been well predicted. Even there, reports on this forum tend to range from 3 cms to 20 or more cms in Connacht which shows that any given regional forecast number is an average which your local situation may exceed or fall short.

I will be updating the forecast soon, after reviewing all the model runs and trying to make sense of what's currently unfolding. I think that the models are having more trouble than is worth describing here but I do feel that you can get a sense of the overall evolution and then decide from there what details are most likely to verify. Otherwise, I am stuck saying it's going to be cold and there could be snow if snow develops sort of a thing, which I think would be a waste of the reader's time since that is already obvious to anyone who is already interested in the weather.

Looks to me at present that the feature moving south into Ulster is the reflection of the polar vortex and should move generally SSE then SE next 12 to 18 hours. This should bring in a period of accumulating snow to the east and southeast. Will be somewhat conservative on the update for amounts with this (in those regions). The activity still moving in from the west may become steady-state, weaken a bit, then redevelop tomorrow as the PV arrives and begins to split in terms of upper and surface features.

From that point on, it's mainly a question of how strong the almost daily cycle of low pressure formation to the southwest tracking around south of Ireland will prove to be -- here's where the models are having all sorts of trouble. Some models look fairly robust on this energy and this is why I mentioned the potential for 10-15 cm snowfalls but as that radio interview was so shortened, I wasn't able to chat about details and would have said these are totals for different events that might peak in different places, also the snow will tend to be low-density and easy to compact, so even where some place sees several falls, the cumulative effect will be less than just adding the daily amounts, it will settle and the further snowfalls would weigh down the layers underneath. In that way, you could theoretically see 10 cms a day for three days but only have 12-15 cms at the end of the three days.

I'm sure that's more than enough for most people, and clearly this is all somewhat speculative, however, I have to say that I see a spectrum of possibilities that also includes an all-out major snowstorm, sooner or later with a frontal boundary like this established near 48-50 deg N, that New Years 1979 setup could show up in the mix. I saw some potential for a storm of that intensity during this 3-5 day period and if not, the current model runs are also suggesting potential for a major storm around 25-27 Dec now. As I thought, the GFS has totally abandoned the milder track for the weekend and kept the weekend lows in the Channel.

Okay, heading over to update the forecast after one last look at radar. Enjoy what you get, as JB says (we chatted once in 1979, a frightening experience for both of us, I think). :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭th3 s1aught3r

Looking at the RTE forecast there now its more clear to me how the south east and east might get some snow over the weekend. The winds are changing to a more east and North East direction from tomorrow and basically this is the only way for us in the south east to get anything thats resembles heavy snow.

It really seems to depend on the wind directions. The winds look to be coming more from the east Sunday and Monday, driving the snow over the east and south.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭roryc1

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

very interesting little feature pushing towards SW
    http://www.sat24.com/gb

Is it this one Wolfe? If so will miss the Sw?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Anyone care to give a brief run down of the forecast? Missed it after the news

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭roryc1

Harps wrote: »
    Anyone care to give a brief run down of the forecast? Missed it after the news

Same thing really, snow could fall anywhere, the location of the LP,s is causing them trouble

• Registered Users Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I'm sure that's more than enough for most people, and clearly this is all somewhat speculative, however, I have to say that I see a spectrum of possibilities that also includes an all-out major snowstorm, sooner or later with a frontal boundary like this established near 48-50 deg N, that New Years 1979 setup could show up in the mix. I saw some potential for a storm of that intensity during this 3-5 day period and if not, the current model runs are also suggesting potential for a major storm around 25-27 Dec now. As I thought, the GFS has totally abandoned the milder track for the weekend and kept the weekend lows in the Channel.
    :

it would be absolutely incredible if a snowstorm were to happen. just a quick question M.T. how many snowdances would one have to do to make it happen? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

Channel 4 news had a good lead story on the snow in Britain and the North, they said the UK met Office think it will be the coldest December ever in Britain if the second half of the month remains cold.

The presenter had a great dig at London, saying how over excited they'll get if they have two snowflakes. Seems the media being Capital City-centric is common in many places.

Advertisement