Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Media Forecasts and Model Output (General Chat)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,848 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Yeah there should be decent falls of snow tomorrow and/or monday, round 5-10cm.

ECM has breakdown for christmas day:

ECM1-168.GIF?18-12

ECM0-168.GIF?18-12

:(:(:( :mad:

Not that thats reliable or anything . .:P

it's more reliable than the gfs in my opinion. it could be a repeat of last year so, whereby Donegal is the only place to get snow on Christmas Day. Although it will obviously turn back to rain there too if that chart verifies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Whats the latest for Waterford lads?

Still on baby watch here. So far so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Small low now forming near IOM, we need the pesky thing to move just a bit east and we could get something decent in N Leinster

already hitting Down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Niall558

Anyone know what leixlip or what north kildare / west dublin should expect?
    Clouds seem to have dispersed but are starting to reform!

Wednesday. Atlantic front coming proceeded by snow?

06_264_precipratec.png

is that for the 29th december??:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Trotter wrote: »
    Whats the latest for Waterford lads?

Still on baby watch here. So far so good.

Nothing today anyway Trotter, maybe tomorrow but my gut tells me nothing for us out of this cold spell. Cancel that 4x4 ;)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Nothing on any charts. Looks like we're done for Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Trotter, no almost chance of snow here unless a small front from the SW turns to snow briefly on Monday/Tuesday and that might not reach us anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Small low now forming near IOM, we need the pesky thing to move just a bit east and we could get something decent in N Leinster

already hitting Down.

I am always weary of lows that are in those positions. I remember an Irish Sea low that formed in a brief Easterly at the start of January 2009 (or 2008 cant remember). Precipitation usually hits the coasts from NI to South Louth/North Dublin. Hopefully will move to a nicer position this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Met eireann have changed their mind again, given a significant thaw now for xmas eve onwards , I dont pay too much heed to ME in their long term outlook, they said the same last year and I got a white christmas and no thaw :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

The wind is still coming from the WNW here, not exactly conducive to any shallow low paying a visit to the east coast... Honestly, I think hoping for it to reach anywhere south of Carlingford is clutching at straws:o

already hitting Down.
    Tomaz on news 24 there now on his graphics has that isle of man/north irish sea stuff fringing into north dublin this evening and louth and meath.
    That mirrors the met Eireann suggestion

I might add sundays feature on those graphics only affects Kerry..

Pangea wrote: »
    Met eireann have changed their mind again, given a significant thaw now for xmas eve onwards , I dont pay too much heed to ME in their long term outlook, they said the same last year and I got a white christmas and no thaw :)
    I find it amusing that even in this uncertain time for models where they are chopping and changing on nearly every run that met Éireann change their forecast to reflect exactly the latest ecm output..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

it could be a repeat of last year so, whereby Donegal is the only place to get snow on Christmas Day.

And parts of Mayo Nacho. :) I had to abandon my car Christmas morning due to the snow here.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭lucy2010

BB, when will the winds turn NE or E ? Any chance co wickla will get any of those streamers ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

did we get a white christmas last year? i was in england last christmas and got nothing even though 2 days before it was lashing down with the stuff

lucy2010 wrote: »
    BB, when will the winds turn NE or E ? Any chance co wickla will get any of those streamers ?
    honest answer..
    Hard to know because when you have little shallow lows forming in the irish sea,it affects wind direction and worse if those little lows that aren't modeled and seem to appear out of nowhere when they feel like it-then the wind is all messed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭NIALL D

Davaeo09 wrote: »
    Hey folks i'm relatively new to this game, and I know this question must get tiresome, but can the Kilkenny/Tipp border areas expect any snow at all within the next 48 hours?

hey where abouts are you ? im in south tipp.

lookin to my east direction twords kilkenny i can see HUGH white puffy clouds in the sky...... looks like snow filled clouds.
    still cold here and cloudy with little or no sun all day..

so can any the people around kilkenny area see these biggggg clouds ???

Pangea wrote: »

it will be game over i feel if the next two runs of the ecm show the same thing. it would be a pity not to see a fall of snow on christmas day, but even it does get milder it will still be a white Christmas of sorts for some.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

NIALL D wrote: »
    hey where abouts are you ? im in south tipp.

lookin to my east direction twords kilkenny i can see HUGH white puffy clouds in the sky...... looks like snow filled clouds.
    still cold here and cloudy with little or no sun all day..

so can any the people around kilkenny area see these biggggg clouds ???

Can see the clouds, but theres no snow at all at all . . :(:(

• Advertisement

Can see the clouds, but theres no snow at all at all . . :(:(

ahhh , thought were on to something for a minute :(

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

Why did I not learn from last year...got all my hopes up only to have them dashed - again! At this stage I'm confused and bewildered...we will have loads of snow, then we will have a bit less and now it looks like very little - oh the agony. Sod it i'm goin t' pub!

Why did I not learn from last year...got all my hopes up only to have them dashed - again! At this stage I'm confused and bewildered...we will have loads of snow, then we will have a bit less and now it looks like very little - oh the agony. Sod it i'm goin t' pub!

ah sickning isnt it.... :( the pub , now theres a good solution :D an when u crawl out the door at 12 tonight , they might be a foot on the ground :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I can see big menacing clouds off the coast here but they appear to be heading south.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

Anyone know if Waterford's supposed to get any snow? I've an Economics exam Monday and am counting on it to snow.. >.>

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

NIALL D wrote: »
    ah sickning isnt it.... :( the pub , now theres a good solution :D an when u crawl out the door at 12 tonight , they might be a foot on the ground :)[/QUOTE

Here's hoping, come on East wind - doth blow!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭WalterMitty

Feck drink, its mice pies with cream and hot tea for me . Still christmassy here in North Dublin with sub zero temps and frost around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Has anyone seen the temp in Clones :eek: -13.9

There has to be somthing wrong with that reading

http://www.irishweatheronline.com/2010/11/latest-conditions-around-ireland.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

dacogawa wrote: »

I think there's something wrong with your eyes, it says -3.9

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

dacogawa wrote: »

Yeah its been around -12 in Castlederg all day, was wondering was it a false reading or not :eek:

Advertisement