Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Media Forecasts and Model Output (General Chat)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

Just saw the BBC forecast, they are on board for the band of snow to hit the south coast and south east from around 6am Monday morning and to give a prolonged fall of snow.

As is the NAE, GFS and latest HIRLAM.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

They're also showing an easterly wind over on the east side of the country now...
    nat00_wind.png?1741

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

A well organised band pushing into the west now. That should give some nice totals there.

Web_radar.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

Would someone please confirm is that a low forming of the west coast of Mayo. Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

A well organised band pushing into the west now. That should give some nice totals there.

Not if wind directions are changing to easterly . . .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

True but its on Galways doorstep so should drift in a little to give them something.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭NIALL D

Web_radar.gif

how far in land do you think that could reach ??? as far as central south counties ??

That may be close to midnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

It seem not to be overly organised! According to the precipitation map, we should be seeing something here but all I can say is that it's cloudy. :(

NIALL D wrote: »
    how far in land do you think that could reach ??? as far as central south counties ??

Dont think so if the wind changes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭premiercad

Would someone please confirm is that a low forming of the west coast of Mayo. Thanks!

i see at least 2 rotations both moving south but spinning showers west:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭th3 s1aught3r

RTE forecast 6.1

Gerry has the East and South at risk for 'significant' snow on Monday and Tuesday, sa winds go due easterly :)

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭premiercad

possible embedded PL's?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭plein de force

RTE forecast 6.1

Gerry has the East and South at risk for 'significant' snow on Monday and Tuesday, sa winds go due easterly :)

I hope he's right but I think it's best not to get hopes up. Forecasts have been wrong the last few days as we all know. Even MT got it wrong, for the east anyway. Models have been performing horrendously though

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

premiercad wrote: »
    possible embedded PL's?
    No

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

No Polar lows.
    ASIINWP_20101218_1800.png

BBC weather now also confirming that shift to easterlies Sunday/Monday
    I can only live in hope :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

ECM from NW

Recm1201.gif

Opr

opr wrote: »
    ECM from NW

Recm1201.gif

Opr

Whats that telling us Opr ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Whats that telling us Opr ?

It a pretty great run from reading the posts over on NW. It would mean extending the cold and no breakdown over the xmas period.

Anything further than that is beyond me, I'll let one of the guys who knows more about the models handle that part :pac:

Opr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭homolumo

Where have all our 'model' posters gone? We need some analysis.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

check out this article from the weather network on the weather + jet stream!
    http://www.theweathernetwork.com/news/storm_watch_stories3&stormfile=jet_stream_causing_abnormal__181210?ref=twitterbox

good photo showing the jet stream path also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Well there's not much interest in models lately because we know they have been performing sh1te,but here's the NAE on monday morning.

IF it verifys then i could be eventually seeing something,yes thinking of my own back yard,Whoo Go Cork too:D

10122006_1812.gif

10122012_1812.gif

Anyone know whats happened to Sky News weather forecasters ? They seem to just have the charts now and a voiceover reading the forecast rather than a weather person now :confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,502 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Anyone know whats happened to Sky News weather forecasters ? They seem to just have the charts now and a voiceover reading the forecast rather than a weather person now :confused:

They axed their forecasters some time back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Not 100% sure but I think batch just off anglesey has stopped moving S. I expect precipitation shift/form more towards the Wicklow/Dublin/Louth coasts, significantly weakening the more it comes closer to the coast. I expect a flurry at about 3am or so:)

goodnight.

rainfall radar: raintoday.co.uk

Looking at raintoday there has been definate streamer development and they are heading towards louth.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

patneve2 wrote: »
    Not 100% sure but I think batch just off anglesey has stopped moving S. I expect precipitation shift/form more towards the Wicklow/Dublin/Louth coasts, significantly weakening the more it comes closer to the coast. I expect a flurry at about 3am or so:)

goodnight.

rainfall radar: raintoday.co.uk

It definitely has ! Exciting times ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

All eyes on monday now for me, First it was friday then saturday then sunday and now monday :rolleyes: But sher hopefully this low keeps shape and gives us a nice fall. Maybe a bit of mixing with sleet/rain on the latest GFS but we'll see how it goes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭dacogawa

The precipitation near Wales is starting to move towards the East Coast

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

Advertisement