Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Media Forecasts and Model Output (General Chat)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Elmo5

Question for anyone able to answer!

With the winds changing to a more easterly direction, is the Irish Sea likely to make any decent streamers over the next 24 hours?

I see that one is heading towards us but it seems to be weakening as it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Elmo5 wrote: »
    Question for anyone able to answer!

With the winds changing to a more easterly direction, is the Irish Sea likely to make any decent streamers over the next 24 hours?

I see that one is heading towards us but it seems to be weakening as it does.

I dont think anyone can answer that Elmo, if this first one hits its a good sign, if it breaks up we just have to wait

keep an eye on it here http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Monkaa

when are the winds predicted to turn easterly? I dont think they are at the moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

streamer heading towards mid louth
    139987.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Hillarious, a picture with an arrow pointed at where the folks live. But I still expect only a few (very weak) graupel showers.

BTW winds along the east coast at this stage are showing Westerly winds because the wind from the east is very slack, and the severe temperature gradient on land is making the air much denser. This air flows out towards the sea, overcoming the weak easterly. It's better to use Infrared satellite to see what direction the clouds are moving in, or else the short term NAE and Met Eireann model.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

Monkaa wrote: »
    when are the winds predicted to turn easterly? I dont think they are at the moment

Should be from tonight. 18Z GFS out now. A mainly Easterly regime looks in place for the early part of the week. So precipitation generated over the Irish Sea looks like the best chance of snow for Eastern coastal areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Looking at raintoday, that system off the West seems to be pulling itself together at 22.30. Any chance at all of it moving inland?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,680 ✭✭✭Speak Now

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    Looking at raintoday, that system off the West seems to be pulling itself together at 22.30. Any chance at all of it moving inland?

Met Eireann seems to think so

3hr-rain.gif

Another big back track from met eireann

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/

Today

Extremely cold tonight witch patches of freezing fog. Some snow showers will fall in Connacht, west Munster and along coasts of north Leinster. The lowest temperatures will be between -4 to -10 degrees with a widespread severe frost.
    hr.gif

Tomorrow

Tomorrow, Sunday will be a very cold day. It will be bright in most areas with some sunny spells, but freezing fog may persist in places. Some further snow showers will fall in the north, west and southwest. Bitterly cold again with top temperatures between -3 and +2 degrees in light winds.

Outlook

GENERAL: The bitterly cold conditions will persist for the week, with milder weather gradually approaching from the southwest near Christmas. Many places will stay dry until Christmas Eve with just scattered snow showers mainly in coastal counties. DETAILS: Monday night will be extremely cold with lowest temperatures between -5 and -10, possibly even lower over snow fields. There will be a few snow showers, mainly in coastal areas, and winds will be light. Freezing fog will form in some areas as well. It will stay very cold on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday with afternoon temperatures staying below freezing in many areas and night time temperatures falling between -5 and -12 degrees in slack winds with a continuing risk of freezing fog. There will be some snow showers with coastal areas most at risk. It will probably stay cold on Friday, Christmas Eve, but milder weather with rain and wind is approaching from the southwest, however it is not certain yet whether this milder weather will spread countrywide on Christmas day or that it will stay cold for the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

yeah snow for mon and tue gone again:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

I hold on to the fact that the 12z was always the most reliable with the human input, CLUTCH......STRAWS.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Looks like it. Just wiped from the data banks. Unusual for met Eireann to put out a late forecast. They must be confident now of the mild breakdown for Christmas Day. Cold will be back by New Year though.

Looks like it. Just wiped from the data banks. Unusual for met Eireann to put out a late forecast. They must be confident now of the mild breakdown for Christmas Day. Cold will be back by New Year though.

Less than an hour earlier they gave a total different forecast after the news. Confident is not a word i'd use ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭GavinH

Just had a heavy shower of snow about 16 miles west of Cork city

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭inabina

get your wireless out.....Radio 1....23.55 weather.....NOW

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭inabina

a new weather man....HARUM LOUCH his name? .....

tommorrow " mainly dry....next week....bitterly cold for rest of week....snow showers.....coastal areas....."

no mention of a warming trend. but very vague overall.

is he dutch? he's brand new. where are ME getting all these new people? surely tax payers are paying enough. there are so many of them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

Any updates for the south east folks? Any snow over the next 12-24 hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

They have back tracked alright Sky News weather is much more reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,847 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

i read that as they are still uncertain? have you read the discussion over on netweather? the lads in the know over there seem far from certain. i guess we'll know by Monday or Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Densefog2008

I read somewhere earlier on some of these weather threads that one way or the other even if it is milder around Christmas day that another cold spell will follow soon after....anyone have any ideas or thoughts on this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭isle of man

looks like all the snow has gone bar the odd shower.

Its the most snowfall we have had in around 10 years at low levels,

8-10 hours of snow fall never stopping.

winter to remember for us really even if it gos mild for the rest of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭skuzzb

Last 5 days from D17

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

ECM going for a breakdown on Xmas day. Looking at the latest models not much precipitation around at all the next in few days. Has to be the biggest let down non event in history :mad: Very disappointing for lots.

ECM1-168.GIF?18-0

Right, lets see what the 06z gives us !

Why are you bothering and fretting with a chart for 6 days away when charts for 3 days away are not verifying?

If 3 day charts aren't verifying,theres no way in hell that 6 or 7 day ones will...
    Waste of time.

Why are you bothering and fretting with a chart for 6 days away when charts for 3 days away are not verifying?

If 3 day charts aren't verifying,theres no way in hell that 6 or 7 day ones will...
    Waste of time.

Someone has "lack of snow anger" !! :p:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭channaigh

i am so sad thought this would be massive :(

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭laurence997

Out of interest, would anyone here explain to me how mt has forecast some showers for the west coast and yet winds are to be blowing from the east?

Out of interest, would anyone here explain to me how mt has forecast some showers for the west coast and yet winds are to be blowing from the east?
    An area of low pressure is traveling north to south in that area with showers circulating around it.
    It's independent of the East flow elsewhere

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

Look at this radar: http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp

Showers moving northwards, skimming the west coast.

Advertisement